Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Why are you here?
. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . >>
smitty
# Posted: 8 Nov 2011 15:19

I'm just curious,
It seems we all have our reasons, for our interest in cabins.
For example my interest is getting off the grid, my own way of rebelling I guess. I'm tired of house payments, utility bills, and debt... I'm tired of eating chemical food, and I am going more organic REAL food. I'm tired of being micro managed by towns and communities. I want to get back to a simple life, and life the way I was meant to live.
But a lot of folks are interested in other things..
Are you a weekender?
Are you interested in self sustaining lifestyle?
Are you interested in being "green"..
Are you a hunter interested in a hunting cabin?
Why are you here?

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 8 Nov 2011 16:24

I am here because I love the out doors.

I'm not much of a hunter, but I'm not against it. Everyone asks me why I have this little cabin (and around here a LOT of people are big hunters) and the first thing they ask is "do you have it for a hunting place?"

I'm also not one much for this "green" malarkey. A lot of what I do lines up with their way of thinking but I only do it for my own benefit, to save myself money, or perhaps (as is the case with solar electricity) because it's actually the better way of doing what I want to accomplish.

When I was a kid I built 2 different tree houses in the back yard and even a decent "lean-to" out in some woods that were adjacent to our property. I have always loved to be out in the woods.

I guess the best thing to say is that I built my cabin for my own sanity; to get me back to the outdoors; to allow myself to have a get-away from the rat race of the big city. People think I'm nuts, but I think they're just jealous that the voices don't talk to them.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 8 Nov 2011 16:52

I'm here to get information from other cabin lovers.
I have a log cabin in Canada on 220 acres. The nearest neighbor is 2 miles. The cabin was built off the grid. We spend only 3 weeks per year in the cabin with the plan of it being our summer retirement home. I 'm not a rebel just looking to a safe, peaceful,inexpensive way of life.

larry
# Posted: 8 Nov 2011 22:23

i just wanted a place for my wife and kids to get away

Malamute
# Posted: 8 Nov 2011 23:30

I've always loved log cabins. I've built several, to live in and to sell. I've done solar, and I've done grid. I dont mind grid power, I don't use all that much. I don't mind the few bills I have that are related to my place. Doing without is more work for me than working to pay the bills. I've lived in my cabins full time for many years. I've also lived in a tipi, and nomaded around sleeping under the stars, in my truck, and off the back of a motorcycle for several years (about 5-6). I wouldn't go back to that without a fight at this point in my life. I could do it if I had to, but I don't have to and don't want to.

All the retreating from "normal life" sounds good on paper, but having done that, I like electricity, phone, internet, and running water. I've lived for years without, and sure don't mind it now. No matter where you are, there are complications and things you don't really want to do. If you feel too "plugged in" to the modern world, you can change many aspects of that no matter where you are. Shut off your cable, reduce your power usage, grow a garden in the back yard, sell useless junk you dont need, stop buying useless junk you dont need, pay off your debt, drive older vehicles. That stuff is just choices you make on a daily basis about how you want to live. If you don't want all the complications of modern life, you can reduce many of them right where you are now. Cabin living can also be as simple or complicated as you make it, same as living in a town or anywhere else.

I've found my balance. It may not be what the next guy down the line wants, but it works for me.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 9 Nov 2011 05:54 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: smitty
Are you a hunter interested in a hunting cabin?

and love the Beautiful outdoors............with my family and friends at camp.

and i like elect. & running water and such in REAL LIFE and at camp as well. :-)

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 9 Nov 2011 06:14

Power lines are 1 1/2 miles away and at $100,000 to have power I'll stay off grid.

dstraate
# Posted: 9 Nov 2011 10:18

It seems like I've got a mix of many already stated opinions. I want to simplify what I do a bit, but I still like a few amenities. I'm mostly a weekender. Working in a very small town that loves to make personal business it's own, it's nice to get away where I know I won't see anybody I know.

I admire people who do the Green thing, but I don't necessarily think it's saving the world nearly as much as it's charging people extra to feel good about themselves.

I like the views and the wildlife, It seems like my wife and I have a much better relationship out there. We're closer, talk more, have less stress, and enjoy each other's company.

On a more fundamental level, I need something to tinker with/think about. I like thinking about things that would improve the cabin. I like designing simple fixes to simple problems, and I really like the concept that I had a hand in building a place that is so enjoyable for myself and my wife.

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Nov 2011 10:49

Why am I here? I've done design, manufacturing and building and want to pass on some the knowledge I've learned over the years.

Montanan
# Posted: 9 Nov 2011 11:02

There are a number of reasons we wanted a cabin.

We love the outdoors, but as I get older, the less I like sleeping on the ground in a tent. Plus, this is bear country and with the number of grizzly attacks in MT in the past 2 years, I started feeling less than 100% comfortable with 3 small children in a tent. At first, I suggested a camper but my husband wouldn't go for that. The cabin was our compromise.

We are skiers/snowboarders but don't like day trips, especially with the kids. We were thrilled to find property 8 miles from a ski area.

The idea of building ourselves appealed to my husband more than it did to me (I would have been happy to buy something already built.) But the budget precluded that. We could afford a structure on our land only if we did a lot of the work ourselves. And in the end, I am glad we went this route. There's a real sense of pride and accomplishment in working on your own cabin...as you all know.

We are on the grid, but I admire those who are off the grid (for "green" reasons, or otherwise.) We aren't hunters but are also in a prime hunting area (elk.) Friends have suggested that we could probably charge people to come hunt on our property!

bobrok
# Posted: 9 Nov 2011 12:13

I will save bandwidth by not quoting a lot of stuff from the above replies, but suffice to say: WOW! Ditto to just about everything said above. Very well put, everyone.

Quoting: dstraate
my wife and I have a much better relationship out there. We're closer, talk more, have less stress, and enjoy each other's company.

Not to make anything else said less important, but I just have to agree with how true this is.

Thanks for posting this.

hattie
# Posted: 9 Nov 2011 14:13

I want to live a simpler life. I want to replace all the "stuff" with quality family experiences. I want to be greener and learn from others on this site how to do that. My small house doesn't have a "great room" but it does have one great utility room where I can hang my laundry on a rack from the ceiling instead of using a dryer; and it has a cold room where I can store my home made preserves from our garden produce.

I don't like where society seems to be going lately. Everything is big and lavish rather than simple and practical. People seem to be forgetting what is important in life. This site seems to be a wonderful collection of folk who have turned their backs on what is trendy and have instead, focused on what is truly important - family, sustainability and simple pleasures. That's why I'm here.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 9 Nov 2011 20:32

Amen, Hattie!
"Give me the simple life"...Valdy said it best!

neb
# Posted: 9 Nov 2011 20:44

The great people on this site. I also like to watch and listen to all the dreams that come true with their hard work. I also love the outdoors and can relate to what these people are trying to accomplish. One more thing I enjoy the knowlwdge that the people have here.

neb
# Posted: 9 Nov 2011 20:54

Quoting: Malamute
I've always loved log cabins. I've built several, to live in and to sell. I've done solar, and I've done grid. I dont mind grid power, I don't use all that much. I don't mind the few bills I have that are related to my place. Doing without is more work for me than working to pay the bills. I've lived in my cabins full time for many years. I've also lived in a tipi, and nomaded around sleeping under the stars, in my truck, and off the back of a motorcycle for several years (about 5-6). I wouldn't go back to that without a fight at this point in my life. I could do it if I had to, but I don't have to and don't want to.

All the retreating from "normal life" sounds good on paper, but having done that, I like electricity, phone, internet, and running water. I've lived for years without, and sure don't mind it now. No matter where you are, there are complications and things you don't really want to do. If you feel too "plugged in" to the modern world, you can change many aspects of that no matter where you are. Shut off your cable, reduce your power usage, grow a garden in the back yard, sell useless junk you dont need, stop buying useless junk you dont need, pay off your debt, drive older vehicles. That stuff is just choices you make on a daily basis about how you want to live. If you don't want all the complications of modern life, you can reduce many of them right where you are now. Cabin living can also be as simple or complicated as you make it, same as living in a town or anywhere else.

I've found my balance. It may not be what the next guy down the line wants, but it works for me.

Malamute
So true and good post.

trollbridge
# Posted: 9 Nov 2011 21:17 - Edited by: trollbridge

Agreed Hattie and Neb!! Also Bobrok...Mr.Trollbridge and I enjoy working on the cabin together and sharing ideas.

brokeneck
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 18:08

We have property in the National Forest that belongs to the extended family. About 20 years ago my father-inlaw and I built a 900sf 2 story cottage on it --- long story short the decision was made to add on to it. This gave us the ability to celebrate Christmas and holidays with 10 or 15 people. So we now have a 5000sf custom home where the rustic digs used to be. Don't get me wrong -- it's a beautiful place with all the comforts of home -- but in itself that was the problem -- it was so nice I found myself getting sucked in to watching the satellite and not even venturing outside. As you can see the new cabin adds a little adventure and offers a chance to do some camping without setting up a tent. Although since it is just down the hill from the big house sometimes I feel like a little kid camping out in my own backyard : )

brokeneck
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 18:10

Quoting: neb
The great people on this site. I also like to watch and listen to all the dreams that come true with their hard work. I also love the outdoors and can relate to what these people are trying to accomplish. One more thing I enjoy the knowlwdge that the people have here.

Couldn't have said it better Neb ....

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 19:12

Since getting married and leaving my country home, it has been my dream to have a small cabin in the country. Due to daughter issues draining me dry, I'm not sure if or when it will happen. So, I live through everyone here; the building, the adventures, the wildlife. This site gives me peace.....

Just
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 20:53

I am passionate about life ,my family, my work ,public life as a volunteer, and building things.. two homes and four cabins later i find myself not knowing if i have another cabin in me !! but I sure enjoy hearing about every one of your's .. Thanks folks for letting me join in .

Nirky
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 21:26

I'm a construction novice, so I'm here to learn what others have done and how they did it.

Borrego
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 21:27

I started probably much like everyone else, a baby boomer tired of the city and pretty handy as well. Always camped and hiked and been outdoors. Finally pulled the trigger and got a place of our own and started building. Just one foot in front of the other :-)
But this site is special, all good people, a warm feeling and tons of knowledge, add in the humor and obvious love coming from this site, and you can't beat it!
I just wish we could all have a big ole campground rendevous somewhere, I could see singin' around the campfire, drinkin' scotch, sharing outdoors tips, drinkin' beer, putting up an A Frame just for fun, drinkin' wine, errrrr wait, too much drinkin' going on......
But it would be a kick, wouldn't it?????

naturelover66
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 21:51

I found this site by chance a year ago after searching the web for cabin decor. This group of wonderful , intelligent people made me laugh and ofcourse taught me a.thing or two. My little cabin was my lifes dream... and after my near death two years ago, I finally took the plunge. I too crave a simpler life... A peaceful existance .... Close to nature and all its miracles. Ive been teased for years about my horrible sense of.direction.. But at the cabin..its right.on. I sleep better there.. Breathe better there ... And yeah, the hubby andi are always happy there. Im here because this group of ppl understand these feelings . We.do share a common passion. I feel fortunate to have.found.you all. Lisa

bobrok
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 09:02

[Quote:Borrego]
I just wish we could all have a big ole campground rendevous somewhere, I could see singin' around the campfire, drinkin' scotch, sharing outdoors tips, drinkin' beer, putting up an A Frame just for fun, drinkin' wine, errrrr wait, too much drinkin' going on......

That would be very cool.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 11:47

Borrego,
I, too, think that would be the most amazing time. Just to meet everyone in person.

Borrego
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 14:08

Well, don't want to hijack this thread, maybe it's time for another, but I'd offer up my place (although it's as far SW as you can go and would be hard for most people to get to) but maybe a more central place (TX?)
Another thought.... It would be cool to combine a rendevous with a building project, perhaps for a deserving member? A couple of dozen of us could build a small cabin in a weekend easily.....

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 15:55

That would be the best. I have no actual experience but I can always be a goofer and how better to learn? I have vacation saved.

naturelover66
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 22:22

Maybe tennesee?
I could use a road trip....

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 5 Dec 2011 08:19 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

ok

dk1393
# Posted: 6 Dec 2011 07:21

Lets see, road trip, camping, drinking,
building, dutch oven cooking on a camp fire. I'm in!!!

. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.