Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Why are you here?
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . >>
ranchboss
# Posted: 8 Dec 2011 13:48

Good question
I guess to read how everybody else is curing the problem of a home away from home.

customrunner
# Posted: 8 Dec 2011 14:40

The Dream.
And it coming true..

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 00:05

to see everyone in the process of finding their property and deciding on cabin plans and yes! finally making it out to there woods to full time living.and sharing our experience too.

tnky03
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 00:26

To learn needed information to help as we plan and build our little cabin and to find lots of ideas that will be useful as well. It is also really encouraging to find so many others who share a desire for a more simple and satisfying life, whether it be an occasional weekend or as we plan, full time "small cabin" living.

mgc
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 04:56

Why are we here?

Because on the entire World Wide Web, this is the most unselfish, committed, caring, sharing and determined group of people I've ever seen. Because everyone on this site knows the wonderful secret that what you are, is not defined by what you own and that there is true beauty in simplicity.

Because I want my grandchildren to know that a piece of rope and an old tire hanging from a tree are more fun than 6 uninterrupted hours in front of a TV. I want them to know that calloused hands and sweaty clothes can be the mark of a successful man, not just a flashy suit and shiny shoes. I want to share the respect and reverence for the out doors that was shared with us.

I guess in summation, we're here for the same reasons ya'll are here.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 06:37

I love sipping my coffee on an early morning, while watching the sun come up and watching the wildlife. Since that is best done after a good night's sleep.. heh.. I need a cabin to sleep in and so.. 4 weeks away from mine. I would have started, but HD did not deliver due to a little rain.. gggrr..

Hope to start it in 2 weeks or less.

R

spicyacres
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 08:10

I'll be honest and admit I'm a "prepper" - I want to build a small cabin on my land to get off-the-grid while it's still a choice.

For me it's survival first. The simpler, more fullfilling lifestyle it will lead to is a bonus.

sparky1
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 08:16

I pretty much Love where & how I live,all my family are gone,I can do what ever i want,I love camping so my entire place is campable, I'm very frugal,Solar How water panels Pre heat the well water ,I have Harbor Freight 45 Watt kit on the roof too Powers (2) lights,More solar Coming,I have several campers,& a 35 ft Motorhome ,a Casita camper towed By a camper van, (rebuilding some of the older Campers) something to do,no neighbors close, I love camping in the field,seeing the stars,Loving Nature, I have learned many ideas off this site & I hope some of what I do-Or Write about inspires some others,
Thanks for this site.
sparky1.in s.Va.

hattie
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 12:43

Quoting: mgc
the wonderful secret that what you are, is not defined by what you own and that there is true beauty in simplicity. Because I want my grandchildren to know that a piece of rope and an old tire hanging from a tree are more fun than 6 uninterrupted hours in front of a TV. I want them to know that calloused hands and sweaty clothes can be the mark of a successful man, not just a flashy suit and shiny shoes. I want to share the respect and reverence for the out doors that was shared with us.

GREAT answer mgc!!! I agree with you 110%!

redlandfd
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 13:32 - Edited by: redlandfd

A couple of reasons, growing up in a small town there was a group of old men that sat on a bench in front of the store and the feed mill. This is before everyone around here had AC, so they'd sit out in the cool mornings and evenings; knew eveyones business and what was going on. Thing is, if you had a question about something like your car, farm, dog, house, stuff like that..one of them usually knew quite a bit about it..when I built my first hunting shack, I asked a couple of them about how to do the rafters..they were a wealth of knowledge, got me going on it. I learned right there, if you don't know ask and learn from other people. Alas, the bench and store are long gone, but this forum is here and I am still learning some from everyone. So for me, basically the forum is the bench. As for cabin building, I enjoy building it as much as going to it and getting away after its done. I like re-reading some of the old Mother Earth News and putting some of their concepts in my projects. Sorry for the long answer.

dave_in_delaware
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 16:26

I'm here to gather research, read about peoples' ideas and designs and experiences, and look at photos and drawings of small cabins.

My interest in small cabins comes from a friend of mine who plans on purchasing a few acres of land to set up a self-sustaining "compound" of 5 small cabins, garden, livestock area, pond, outbuildings, etc. He's looking for 4 other like-minded people to help him build and manage and protect the compound, and I'm considering being of of the other 4 people!

These cabins would be our primary (and probably only) residences. Water would be from a well, and rain water collection. Electricity would be all 12v-based via deep cycle batteries and solar panels to recharge. Wood stove for heating and cooking. Propane for refrigerator, backup heater, and alternative cooking. Composting toilet.

I have researched and designed my own RV so much of what I learned from RVs will be incorporated into the small cabin.

I'm excited to learn as much as I can about these little cabins!

cottonpicker
# Posted: 7 Mar 2012 12:28

I was born & raised on a cotton farm in Southern Mississippi in 1936.

In 1954 when I enlisted in the Air Force for a 20 year hitch we still had no electricity & no running water.

Our water supply was from an outside pump which we drove into the ground to the proper depth.

We heated & cooked with wood we cut from our land.

A medium sized river was within 20 yards from our front door & we had immediate access to hundreds of acres of woods.

We had a very large garden & a very large orchard.

We canned many 100s of jars of food each year & processed much hog meat.

I estimate that 80-90% of the food we consumed was grown by us or came from our river & woods.

We were living "OFF GRID" & were almost self sufficient.

I am a "Do it yourself" type guy who can make/build/repair/modify almost anything.

I miss that life style & I would not miss the city life.

Sadly, my Wife is a city gal & has no interest in any other style of living.

So, I haunt this site & dream of what could be, LOL!

Cotton Picker

Anonymous
# Posted: 7 Mar 2012 12:46

Sounds like you had a wonderful place to grow up. It is sad you have this longing to reconnect but here you can offer a wealth of knowledge to many starting out without the experience you have. Would it be possible for you to get a small place with a cabin where you could go for occasional weekends? Any buddies to share these visits?

sparky1
# Posted: 7 Mar 2012 13:08

welcome cotton picker;
I wish your dreams will come true--Possibly your other half will finally Join you in the simple life sometime soon.
dreams are wonderful.

Messiah
# Posted: 7 Mar 2012 16:46

I have been lurking for a while now taking in ideas and experiances from all the like minded people here. My main goal is to get my family in a self sustaining home with small garden and livestock.
I too wish to rebel against the current system and live mortgage free as I have already eliminated all my debt. I want to teach my kids the benefit of hard work and the freedom of pursueing their dreams not in a world of immediate gradifcation. I do not want my kids being a slave to the system. My property is in Bandera Tx and I would be more than happy to host a group from this site and show anyone intrested the method of cob building in exchange for some assistance.

sparky1
# Posted: 7 Mar 2012 16:57

Welcome to The site---I wish you all the very best .There are many knowledgeable people here,
sparky1 in s.Va.

BlaineHill
# Posted: 7 Mar 2012 22:21

I bet there are one hundred small cabins built for evey one documented on a site like this. Every time I come across a new construction thread, it provides a point of reference for me and helps me gain perspective. I am thankful for that. I like to think that, because I am documenting my project here, somebody, somewhere, will be able to mature their own ideas about the ideal small cabin.

reddly
# Posted: 8 Mar 2012 08:16

building something now for me and my loved ones to enjoy completely off grid. In future i hope for it to be more than just a place to get away for weekends or a month here and there and turn to a real home.

also can't lie. I do believe society is going to crap and one way or another the zombies are coming. me and my shot gun are gonna be waiting 500 miles out in the bush happy and safe.

Aqua
# Posted: 4 May 2012 21:37

I'm tired of debt and want a place I own free and clear. So it's going to be small.

I want to have nature around me and not people, cars, buildings.

It's for full time living and I'm female and I want some regular comforts and amenities, as much as I can afford. I am interested in growing some food, producing some dairy, collecting rain water, and being partly off grid, but realistically I can't do much on my own. Maybe I will have friends or a partner or partners.

I would like my cabin home to be Earth sheltered or otherwise efficient for heating and cooling, but this may not be possible (on a low budget) because of building codes.

I would also like it to be made of natural materials because it's healthier, but again, in the interest of saving money I may end up having to do common building practices Many natural materials seem more durable and cost efficient in the long run, but more expensive up front.

sparky1
# Posted: 4 May 2012 22:08

Welcome all
I love the boonies as well as many others, slower lifestyles,grow some food,see Mother Earth at her best. i've been here since 84 had some good Gardens & the animals ate better than me-.oh well.they were here before me-& can't read,(no trespassing signs).we do need friendship of some kind,,I like my simple "simi -prepping" life style---less trips to the stores,,but i'm not a hermit, I wish all the very best in there set ups and what ever they choose,I bought my place because it has a old Log cabin style tobacco barn on it-Now it's in bad shape & needs attention-great place to have as a store house.
take care all, have a pleasant life..I have
sparky1 in s.va.
Tobacco barn at my place (priceless)
Tobacco barn at my place (priceless)

Anonymous
# Posted: 5 May 2012 07:47

I stumbled across this site while hunting for an alternative magazine to the now 'done' Harrowsmith. So sad.

Reading some of the posts before signing up, I love the stories, information, and general warmth of the folk here. Seems most are on the same page so to speak

I live in a small town....for now and have one more move left in this lifetime.

I have lived somewhat off the grid and I love the fact I know I can do it if I have to. However, I've decided I like most modern conveniences. Some day, i'll have a little cabin somewhere that will be my home. I'd like to build it myself but out of stone and wood. Something small. I am open to buying one already built too.

I LOVE to fish, not a hunter but don't mind that people do.

I too, don't buy into the 'green' thing. That said, I do recycle and am conscious about what I put into my body and the earth.

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 May 2012 10:42

Anonymous...you should become a member for sure! There are inspirational ideas, a ton of great information and wonderful people here!!!

Sounds like you would fit right in!!!!

rayyy
# Posted: 6 May 2012 05:57

To me,if you grew up with out electricity or running water or an indoor bathroom,it's no big deal.You are use to it.It's shocking to these people that write the rules and regulation to comprehend life without these things.I have always had the desire to do this.To build a comfortable,cozy cabin and just live a more simple,rewarding,self reliant,relaxing,enjoyable and fullfilling life style.Especially with modern day technology combined with old world knowledge and common sence,there's nothing you can't do.I love my world and life style this way.

Anonymous
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 10:43

I am here because I enjoy reading about & seeing the various & ingenious ways in which you folks dream, plan & build your cabins.

I am an experienced builder & funds are not a problem, fortunately.

I long to follow in your foot steps but may never get to do so as the Wife is less than agreeable.

I was born in 1936 on a farm in Mississippi, put 20 years in the Military Then operated my own business for 22 years. I became very self sufficient as my life progressed.

I then retired for the 2nd time! Big mistake!!! I got SOOO bored as there was not enough to keep me busy.

I am now working for Civil service full time, slaving away towards my 3rd retirement!! LOL

I too, am less than enchanted with modern life in the big city. I believe that Mankind has not properly evolved to always successfully cope with some of the stresses we find in our every day lives in a close knit environment.

I would be perfectly happy to buy 20 acres, build a 16 X 20 cabin & live out my days in relative seclusion.

Thanks for listening folks,

Cotton Picker

Resting Place
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 15:44

I am here because I love my children. I am here because it is my greatest desire to give my children the things I never had. No i am not talking about the best toys or newest shoes or the biggest house. I have learned that these things come with a price and that price is usually overworked parents and kids looking to tv or video games or worse to fill the void that parents should be filling. I am here because I am disillusioned with societies ideas that bigger is better. That more will make you happier. That hard work is something to be shunned. I want my children to grow up learning the value of hard work. I want then to know that their value is not based on external things. I want them to see the beauty in simplicity. But most importantly I want to give them parents who are there for them every moment of life. For me life is too short to spend focused on anything else.

I am also here to learn. We are setting out on a journey to build a small (20x24) off grid permenant residence. I have learned much from this knowledgable community already and I am here to learn more and hopefully share our journey as it unfolds.

trollbridge
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 15:56

Nicely said! Welcome to you...we will all enjoy your project so be sure to share!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 17:00

I am here because I found you people. You think a lot like me.

Owen

naturelover66
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 19:03

Resting Place.......... well said .

tnky03
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 20:28

Welcome Resting Place, Our society could use lots more parents devoted to teaching their children a better way of living, really living.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 09:28

I love the ideas... Although mine cabin has been built for a while now I am always getting ideas from you all to make things work better at my place... Your all so friendly and helpful too!!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.