Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Things you do in the cabin (but not at home)
TomChum
# Posted: 14 Mar 2012 12:28 - Edited by: TomChum

Things that have become part of your cabin rituals, little things relating to cabin living that you perhaps could do at home, but don't. Not outdoor stuff like shooting, or dirtbiking, gassing up the generator.

"Indoor living" things - that you do only when at your retreat.

Here's two.

When at the cabin I keep a cup of spiced cider hot on the woodstove, and sip at it little by little all day long. Sometimes in the evening it gets a little nipper of Black Label.

Another is having Baked beans and bread-in-a-can (when my girls are there).
Spiced cider on the woodstove
Spiced cider on the woodstove
Baked beans and bread-in-a-can
Baked beans and bread-in-a-can

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Mar 2012 14:13

Drink hot chocolate. I dont know why, more "campy feeling"

PA_Bound
# Posted: 14 Mar 2012 14:52

Burn candles. We burn a few candles around the house, but many more at the cabin- and all year long. What is it about cabins and open flames?

idacabinrat
# Posted: 14 Mar 2012 17:19

M&M pancakes. We were out of chocolate chips one time but had a bag of M&M's. Now we have it every Sunday morning at the cabin.

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Mar 2012 20:34 - Edited by: trollbridge

We work way too hard at the cabin to have many relaxing rituals but we do:

#1. play more games

#2. make hot cocoa on the wood stove and many of our meals......eggs, bacon, sausage, flapjacks, chili, burgers, beaners.........yum!

#3. We also go to bed WAY early during the winter months.....especially after working hard trying to get the cabin finished!

#4. We ALWAYS eat cookies for dessert...don't know why.

#5. We wash our hair in a big ol washtub filled with water from the creek and heated over the wood stove......it makes my hair super soft! We have hard water at home

and lastly:

#6. During the night I pee in a bucket.......never do that at home!!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Mar 2012 22:24

TomChum......what is bread in a can??? Looks good...want to share the recipe???

TomChum
# Posted: 14 Mar 2012 23:10 - Edited by: TomChum

Easiest kind of recipe. Mostly involves opening the cans. Then take a pic and send it to Grandma.

To find this stuff you have to go to the markets where a lot of blue-hairs shop.
This is the bread. When is the last time you saw canned food with no chemicals?
This is the bread. When is the last time you saw canned food with no chemicals?
If you can find Burnham&Morrill, then the Bread-in-a-can will be right next to the beans.
If you can find Burnham&Morrill, then the Bread-in-a-can will be right next to the beans.
Toast it, butter it.
Toast it, butter it.

hattie
# Posted: 15 Mar 2012 00:38

Tom Chum.....That is really neat. I have never seen that before. I wonder if it is only in the US.....You can make your own Bread In A Jar. I have a recipe posted for it in the Recipe thread.

TomChum
# Posted: 15 Mar 2012 10:22 - Edited by: TomChum

OK Hattie I see that. Lots of good recipes in that thread!

It seems to be a small company. But my mom used to buy it for special occasions, around 1970 (in Hawaii !). I was very surprised that it still exists, the can looks the same, no preservatives and doesn't have "Nestle" or "*MegaCorp" on the label.

Now I'm torn. Buying classical 'cabin food' in a "CAN" after seeing the recipe....I don't know what to do now, because this bread in a can has a certain cabinesque charm to it. And comes the possibility (with luck someday) of jostling a blue-hair for the last can on the shelf....

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Mar 2012 10:50 - Edited by: trollbridge

Tom Chum......I say dilemma solved-if you can find it in the store buy it and support the company and keep looking forward to the tug of war match.

If ya can't find it, then use hattie's fine recipe and have fun making some "homemade goodness" with your daughter's before you head to the cabin! Either way a win!!!!

hattie
# Posted: 15 Mar 2012 12:04

Quoting: TomChum
no preservatives and doesn't have "Nestle" or "*MegaCorp" on the label.

I'm always for supporting any company that is long standing, doesn't use preservatives and isn't a mega corp. I'd keep buying it if I were you. There is something to be said for "cabin traditions" - those things you only do at your cabin. You don't want to mess with that. *S*

Montanan
# Posted: 16 Mar 2012 16:38

Drink whiskey.

Martian
# Posted: 16 Mar 2012 17:33

Quoting: trollbridge
#6. During the night I pee in a bucket.......never do that at home!!!!

Since you broached the subject, the best part about cabin living is peeing outside..........anywhere/anytime I want!

Tom

trollbridge
# Posted: 16 Mar 2012 18:10

You are lucky you are a guy!!!
I'm not complaining though----I got my separate little mud room/bathroom and my luggable loo bucket with a drip or two of blue stuff in it and I'm A-OK ...way better than going out to the cold outhouse in the dark!!!!! Yes sir...doesn't take much to make me happy

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.