Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Just what the heck do you do there?
<< . 1 . 2 .
turkeyhunter
# Posted: 2 Jul 2012 12:20

lately i have been just trying to get as much done as i can before i stop work on the cabin for the summer--- and about 2 more weeks --i will get back at it in the late winter--early spring!!!! ( no woking on cabin during deer season!!!! LOL )
i really enjoy working on cabin, cooking and bbq's....and getting ready for hunting season--mowing roads, checking trail cams, fill up feeders, planting food plots, getting deer stands set up--etc.
( btw so far his week --i have a saw a 8 point buck and a fawn in the door yard)

larry
# Posted: 2 Jul 2012 12:55

Quoting: trollbridge
I dunno...it has been so long I can't remember.........................

you should get there before you go nuts like the rest of the world.

Dillio187
# Posted: 2 Jul 2012 13:40 - Edited by: Dillio187

Quoting: OwenChristensen
Dillio, Do you reload? After some chores ,I like to see how some of my new loads shoot.

Owen

not yet, but I've been acquiring what I need to start. I really just need powder and primers, and somewhere to setup at this point.

ICK.....................yeah...way too hot for the cabin isn't it?

Horse flies need to be killed!! It's the only way to deal with them......

yea we were going to go to the cabin for the 4th, but what's the point when it's miserable to be outside? We'll wait for the weekend, the forecast is looking much better for Sat/Sun.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 2 Jul 2012 14:31

I used to think summer was to avoid the cabin, But here are some realy nice days there sometimes in the summer. I figure it's worth checking it out now and then. We have ticks, but not all the time. Earlier this year they were bad, now they're gone. Go figure.

Owen

trollbridge
# Posted: 2 Jul 2012 14:47

Quoting: larry
you should get there before you go nuts like the rest of the world.

Some would argue that I am too far gone!!!

We have this weekend free but I don't know if I feel like going or not-it has been so long since we have worked up there I don't even know what projects I would choose. I do know the clearing is going to need mowing and the driveway is going to need weed whacking and all the weeds and ferns are going to need to be beat down but if it is going to be hot do I really want to do that?...especially because we have no outdoor shower yet, just the creek and if the skeeters are just going to carry us away.....well.....it's quite a dilemma.......

cabingal3
# Posted: 2 Jul 2012 15:51

oh man!horseflies.those boogers are the worst.
good luck on getting them.
we use to get skeeters alot.now not so much.i think they voted to spray and now we dont have them too bad.

Buggy
# Posted: 10 Jul 2012 18:36

> Cook on the open fire or with the dutch oven
> Make ice cream with the hand crank ice cream maker
> Hike
> Swim at the lake
> Flyfishing in my float tube
> Target practice with BB Gunss
> Cribbage/Chess/Dominos
> Puzzles
> Star gaze
> Read a book in the hammock
> Make popcorn on the stove top
> Drink a beer in my Adirondack Chair
My son the puzzle king
My son the puzzle king
The lake
The lake

exsailor
# Posted: 12 Jul 2012 10:26

I don't have a cabin yet, but growing up my family played euchre, pronounced yuo-ker. It was a card game the adults played when visiting as well. Near as I can tell euchre is more common in the south and original midwest states. Only drawback is it takes 4 people to play. Never did care too much for the two person version called Buck Euchre. Sometimes us kids would play crazy eights, war, eights, rummy or hearts. What other card games do people play?

naturelover66
# Posted: 12 Jul 2012 11:01

We play Euchre up here in Michigan

exsailor
# Posted: 12 Jul 2012 11:21

Yep, That is why I said original midwest states. When I was in school they included Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Kentucky. These days they through the plains states into that classification.

justincasei812
# Posted: 12 Jul 2012 12:15

We actually do a lot and a lot of nothing at the cabin. Just like most of us here. It is a place to get away, work on things you would not normally do at home and think it's relaxing

The kids (and us) really enjoy going to the small lake a few miles from the cabin, riding dirt bikes and the four wheeler. We only have ten acres but have about 800 acres of state land that surrounds us. The state land is protected in most areas due to the Kirkland Warbler (bird) nesting during the spring and summer. I like being off grid..... to a point. the kids like their electronics so to have them a genny is needed and to run the well pump. I like the conveniences but HATE the genny. I like the sounds of nature and will wake up early before anyone else just to sit and enjoy the peace and quiet!!

Town is around 15 miles away so if there is anything we need it doesn't take too long to get there and if it's a long weekend we will go into town for a bite to eat or just to walk through the shops from time to time.

Northern Michigan has so much to offer!!

Kevin

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Jul 2012 22:41

Quoting: justincasei812
Northern Michigan has so much to offer!!

it surely does.great land up there!

rayyy
# Posted: 2 Sep 2012 07:26

My cabin is my little sancuary in this world.I can unwind and relax.I enjoy playing my guitar or banjo or fiddle.Enjoy the warmth of the wood stove,I do oil paintings.Enjoy the outdoors,too.Petting the horses and riding,working with the tractor,the smell of wood smoke,building somthing or doing a project.Watching the stars.Hearing a flock of geese,feeding the birds.Hearing the creek babbleing along.That feeling of accomplishment when you finished somthing.Barn full of hay,firewood all split and stacked and ready to go.All's well with the world when I'm home at the cabin!

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Sep 2012 00:28

try to chase squirrels to shoot one..

bugs
# Posted: 3 Sep 2012 11:00 - Edited by: bugs

What I expected we would be doing, after we got all or almost all the projects done and had free time at the shack, was walking our trails, canoeing around our pond and busy ourselves with photography and trying to identify all the flora and fauna from ants to elk and moss to trees.......

But what happened was that we just SIT and stare into space across our pond and fields and passively watch the birds and the animals we share the place with. If we get enough energy together we will dig out the telescope to watch something in the distance and at night turn the telescope to the sky to again stare into space, literally this time..... light years and light years of space.

mustang46
# Posted: 4 Sep 2012 19:52

We like to target shoot, ride four wheelers, swim in the creek swimming hole, go down to river and fish, plant food plots, check our game cameras, fill feeders, camp fires, fire up the genny and watch a movie if it is raining, play cards, when its hunting season we hunt hunt and hunt some more just being there is fun enough

Kudzu
# Posted: 11 Sep 2012 11:17

bugs,

Sometimes doing nothing is the most fun you can have, good for the soul.

groingo
# Posted: 11 Sep 2012 23:01

I guess I just enjoy what I have and the rest of the time keep making improvements along the way.

trollbridge
# Posted: 1 Oct 2012 14:47 - Edited by: trollbridge

When we are at the cabin we are mostly working on getting it completed. However there are a few "games" we play while in the car.

One has been dubbed "dead or alive" and it basically involves collecting points for road kill or live animals spotted. Points go to first person to see and identify what it is or was. lol. My SIL once complained to me about her husband... "Why would anybody in their right mind point out road kill to their children? That is just demented!" Well...hate to say it but this game was first dreamed up when her children were all riding with us to our cabin sorry SIL!!!

The other "game" my son and daughter play entertains them while Mr. Troll and I are in the lumber store. We always have to make a trip to Menards and they get tired of coming in. They wait in the car and play the radio and watch for people walking into or out of the store. Then they determine who has the best walk to match the beat on the radio. They laugh themselves silly doing this! I"ll admit I played this with them once and it was pretty entertaining!!! Think John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever walking down the street to the song "Stayin Alive"!!!

There are a couple more that my kids have played throughout the years while in the car...one is called "Hi Tom" and the other is "Who are they?" Great memories for them!!!! I now realize only one so far has any sense of direction...they were all too busy playing around to know where they even were and can barely get from point A to point B without needing directions!!!

nicalisa
# Posted: 1 Oct 2012 23:50

We spend the time there building, working, fishing, and I do the cooking.....so now we are almost done with the work...have a couple of little things....so I guess we are onto relaxing now. Not too sure how that is going to work as we are not the sit and do nothin' type of couple....will let you know how that goes! Otherwise, as this is base camp and the main building site is cleared, we may start the big house earlier than planned. We have given ourselves 5 years of relax time before we start. After this year the clock will be ticking and we will see how long we make it!

Kudzu
# Posted: 2 Oct 2012 07:54

Whatever I feel like, sometmes nothing more than sitting, watching and listening, other times gardening, playing with the dog, watching TV, etc.

We also like to cook with Dutch Ovens.

Cooks Dock
# Posted: 10 Oct 2012 14:08

A month ago I packed the family off home for a couple and I stayed for 2 or 3 days of work. I woke up the following morning, put the coffee on and stepped outside on the deck. I could hear splashing down below in our bay and saw 2 then 3 then 5 deer as they wondered the shoreline playing in the water. I grabbed a coffee and sat and did absolutely nothing for the next 4 hrs. Deer, then some geese overhead, the resident bald eagles and a golden eagle ( a visitor I think). I could not bring myself to fire up the genny to start cutting and framing. It was amazing. This is totally out of the norm for me, I normally start about 7 or so and "work" at something all day. When in doubt, cut firewood!

wakeslayer
# Posted: 10 Oct 2012 14:30

Quoting: Kudzu
We also like to cook with Dutch Ovens.

Us too. We used them exclusively for a few years at the cabin. My wife cooks pretty gourmet at the cabin now. We need to dig them out again next year.
When we were out a couple weeks ago we bought some Cowboy Charcoal. Real wood charcoal. Was fun and super tasty on the steaks we grilled. Probably will never use kingsford again except for the dutch ovens.

dstraate
# Posted: 10 Oct 2012 16:53

Just after dark, pour a drink, knock your campfire down till it's just coals. Sit, sip, look, think.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 10 Oct 2012 17:41

also a reloader.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 10 Oct 2012 21:13

Cooks, that so cool. You just can't pass that chance to sit and watch.

dstraate, I too sit and have a drink by the fire and stare at stars.

toyota, It's time to try my 45-110 loads. I've got a 600 yd range and a gong target.

Owen

vbot
# Posted: 14 Oct 2012 22:03

We're building a workshop right now that has a couple of bunks, and as such is our "cabin" until we actually build a proper cabin. This is our first ever building, and all we've done to prepare ourselves is read as much about building as time permitted (and as we could understand with no prior knowledge), so it's taken this spring, summer and fall of trips every second weekend to get it done! That building work, which is very satisfying, has filled a lot of days and we've been trying to make sure we stop and soak in the beauty of the place by
- starting each day with an hour-long morning coffee & snack (especially since the sun doesn't come over the mountain until about 8:30 or 9AM and a hot drinks are nice when it's chilly before "sunrise")
- respecting a normal 8-hour "work" day
- taking breaks to enjoy some walks around the trails (good for loosening up tired or stiff muscles!)
- never rushing dinner
- sitting by the fire under the stars in the evening star-gazing
- plopping down in a chair after a good day of productivity with a beer (husband) or a sherry (me: wife) before dinner - man, nothing tops that!

Funny, many people drink a fair bit at the cottage/cabin, but I often find that one drink in the evening is enough. I drink more in the city because it's my "short-cut" to feeling as relaxed and contented as I do in the country!

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.