Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Hi New member, Just won a land lease in Quebec.
Nimitz
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 22:34 - Edited by: Nimitz

After years of entering myself and every family member in the yearly lottery for these 99 yr leases, I finally won one. I am getting 4000m2 Just a tiny bit under an acre.

The lake is nice also 2.6km long 200m wide. Another nice point is all the close lakes to the north of me have no cabins. Bad point is it is 3hr(guess 1.5hr to the first access road) away from where I live.

-I will have to build a road(if I get a dual lot will share the cost of that)100-150m long.

-Next I will need to clear land, once I get a chance to go up and take pictures I will post them for help since I have no clue on the best way to do this.

-I am thinking of powering with a Honda EU2000i looks like a lot of people like it.

-Also how do people feel about using propane for lighting and the stove. It gets very very cold up here and would hate to have to haul out the tank every winter.

-My dad has most of the tools I will need, and I am thinking of renting a portable sawmill if the trees are big enough.

-Because of the snowfall I am thinking of raising the cabin, is there a guide on how high I need to go.

Well should be able to get out there and take photos in a week or two. They are 5 lots in all and I have the 3rd choice.

So next spring when start building my first cabin you might see alot of me.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 22:41

Welcome. What size cabin, ie LXW?? I suspect lots of snow. So steep metal roof, no gutters.

Honda generator, only way to go. I have the EU2000i myself. It runs all my tools, including air compressor to run all my air nailers. I have an air nailer for every occasion. Get a table saw too. They have nice portable ones.

Framing nailer. It will also work for siding or shorter framing nailes for siding. And a trim nailer for interior. Palm nailers work great for joist hanger nailing. Get you a dried in shell, then you can work easier. Start as early as you can, to make sure you have enough time to have the dried in shell before summer ends.

Have fun. I did.

Nimitz
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 22:51 - Edited by: Nimitz

I have not decide on a size yet. It will normally be me and my dad, but if the hunting is good(i don't hunt) then my uncles might want to come. So it needs to sleep 6. Thinking one Queen and 2 bunk beds.

Also need enough place for everyone to eat and rest if the weather is bad. Also I want a bathroom with shower and a decent kitchen.

neb
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 22:55

Good deal!! So how does this lease work? Do you have to pay for this land for a yearly fee etc?

Nimitz
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 23:04 - Edited by: Nimitz

First year is 1508.xx then 281.00 a year, plus school tax, but not sure on the school tax.

hattie
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 23:30

Congratulations!! I've never heard of anything like that, but it sounds like a great deal!! Keep us posted on your progress!

Nimitz
# Posted: 24 Nov 2012 19:01 - Edited by: Nimitz

Back from my trek in the woods lots 1 and 2 where easy to fin and looks like they got cleared not to long ago. Then went to try and find lots 3&4 from the start marker got totally lost and stumbled onto lot 5 take a look at the map below to see how lost I got. Tried again to find lots 3&4 and failed, they should be as wooded as lot 5. Next time going to bring a gps locator hehe.

I have 3rd choice, hoping that lot 1 or 2 will still be available when I pick. Don't Really know if an acre of heavly wooded forest is worth the extra effort. But If I don't get lot 1 or 2 I am going for lot 4. since lot 5 looks like a killer ton of work and I have to pay for the road by myself. If you check the map lot 4 is the closest lot to the road.

Map of lake
http://www.mrcdemaria-chapdelaine.ca/File/villegiature/Tirage2012/LacDauquelle2012.pd f

Ground of lots 1&2

Lot 1

Lot 2

lake view from lot 2 North West and South

Lot 5

Lot 5 Lake View I moved up as far as I could until I could no longer see my Mom(refrence point)

neb
# Posted: 24 Nov 2012 19:08

That is great land and you have a great spot for a cabin!

Nimitz
# Posted: 25 Nov 2012 16:13 - Edited by: Nimitz

Pretty sure the tree on the lots are pine. Does anyone know if it worth the effort to mill the logs and use that wood to build my cabin? Or is if better just to clear cut the space I need, chop up the logs for firewood and buy my wood from the lumber shop.

Anonymous
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 10:05

Great Spot! Looks like lots of good times to be had out on the water. That place will be special when you've got it set in.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 10:15

Nimitz...those are fir, probablly balsam fir....they are super sappy...They dont burn very well either as they snap, crackle and pop alot! Looks beautiful though!

bugs
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 10:38

Nimitz

What a stroke of luck to win that land. Did you buy a lottery ticket too??

Looks like wonderful land.

Any wood you cut to use would likely need to be seasoned and dried. Might be best to look at a lumberyard for the wood.

Look forward to seeing how you progress with your plans. Lots of options from designing and building yourself right through to prefabs. All depends on your skill level, $$$ and how much time you want to spend on the build. Looks like you have a lot of infra structure to put in place before you can start the build.

Are there any conditions regarding size of structure, septic, time of completion, distance from lake, etc that go with the lease?

Conifer wood is pretty sappy as already mentioned. In a fireplace/stove it is very noisy so keeps you awake when your trying to have a nap. Hard woods are better for fires.

Anyway good luck.

bugs

Nimitz
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 17:30

So far what I know

-Building must be 25m from the shore
-I have no time limit to build.
-All Commercial grade trees that are cut down to build the road to my lot I have to get a permit and pay for.
-Once I build a building worth 10k or more I can sell/transfer the lease

The rest of the questions I will ask on the 14 of December when I get to chose my lot.

So far
-How deep is the frost line(from forum)
-How deep to the water line
-How deep to the drink water line(suggested by a friend)
-Can my Neighbor use my road if he is a cheapskate and refused to pay half.
-do I have to build a septic tank(from forum)
-do I need a Permit(from forum)
-are they going to kick the guy who stuck a trailer and built a enclosed porch on the cross roads off since he is not on any of the cabin maps.
-Size limits(from forum)

Am I missing anymore?
-

neb
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 22:59

Quoting: Nimitz
-Can my Neighbor use my road if he is a cheapskate and refused to pay half.

That is a good one to ask. Easements maybe another thing you may ask which goes with the road question. Keep us posted how things go.

Nimitz
# Posted: 14 Dec 2012 17:21 - Edited by: Nimitz

Signed the lease today I was able to get lot 1.

The first guy took lot 5, the lot by itself. He has 3 other brothers who will go in with him to build the cabin so guessing that he did not want any neighbors and had the manpower because lot 5 has a lot of work to do.

Second guy took lot 2 since it is much flatter than lot 1 and was closer to the road in case his neighbor was a cheapskate and did not want to go in with him on the road. But that did not matter in the end because I will be going in with him to build the road. We also learned all roads that any of us build have to be public we can't even build a gate to protect our property on the road it has to be on our lot.

Pretty happy because the main road had a beaver dam that if it fails it would block access to lots 3,4 & 5.

Some modifications where made to my lot size instead of being 50x80 it is now 60x70 so I end up gaining 200m2. My neighbor is in construction and thinks both our lots are on rock and gravel so we might get away from having to dig pillars and use huge cement blocks(those that a a few feet long) to set the cabins on.

you can compare photos 2 and 3 to see what the beaver dam did to the small lake

Photos of documents they gave on the lake and lot location.

Nimitz
# Posted: 14 Dec 2012 17:52

More info I got, I need a permit for everything;

The cabin
The Septic tank(must have one)
The dock
For cutting trees not on my land
Moving dirt/gravel not on my land to our land to even it out.

Dock can only be 2 Pillars/Floating/?rolling? and no more than 20m2

Cabin has a max size of 400m2 and 9m high.

I can not touch the first 10m from the edge of my property except the lake side that I have to leave 25m from the lake.

I can build road access from one side 8m wide.

Also I can build access to the lake at an angle no more than 5m wide. On this path I can only cut down trees I can not use machinery to clear a path.

I have;
Summer Fishing rights
Winter Fishing rights
Hunting rights(need a hunting licence)

No one has trapping rights the Native Americans have all those.

Squatters are a pain in the arse to get rid of(7 months on average and a 500$ fine if found guilty) and anyone can get a 30 day permit to put a temporary structure for (fishing/hunting/blueberry picking)

We can kill beavers if they are cause damage to a road or our cabin but it is best to ask permission first.

We can kill bears if we fear for our life but we have to try and scare them first.

so
Grrr
Boo!!!
Grrr roar
BANG!!
is allowed but

Grr
BANG!!!

is not

With my luck it would be

Grrr
Boo!!!
Grrr roar chomp
Argh!!

Webstein
# Posted: 9 Nov 2018 19:56

Nimitz
Nimitz

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Nov 2018 15:31 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Sounds like a fun adventure, lots of permission, especially for being so remote.
The trees are all spruce. Notice how narrow they are.

Dick Proenneke built his cabin with all spruce.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

https://www.nps.gov/lacl/learn/historyculture/proennekes-cabin.htm

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.