Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Dangers of tree removal
hueyjazz
# Posted: 3 Sep 2013 12:09

I've had my place for a little more than a year now. For the most part it has been a labor of love. Previous owner had just let a lot of thing go as I think his main use was a beer drinking shack.

One of the things I've been committed to is opening up the view to two marvelous ponds that I have on the property. Most weekends I'm selecting what scrub growth and weak trees to remove.

This week I took down a major tree and removed the limbs. As I was cutting it into logs a swarm of ground wasps viscously attacked me stinging me in all of the tender spots in about 20 places. They then proceeded to attack my dogs more than 100 feet away. I did later repay the favor with 4 cans of wasp spray when I found the nest in the base of the stump. "Say Hello to my Little friend". Whose your daddy now?

Dillio187
# Posted: 3 Sep 2013 13:24

ouch, that doesn't sound pleasant! Your story does bring up something that most people don't think of when cutting trees: chainsaw safety.

You really have to pay attention at all times, it's way too easy to have a rotten top break off and hit you, or pinch your bar, trip and fall, hit yourself with the chain etc.

I've been slacking a bit lately with wearing my chainsaw bibs and eye wear, so thank you for the reminder!

Redneck7
# Posted: 3 Sep 2013 13:37

I haven't been stung in many years but hopefully I didn't just jinx myself. Chainsaw safety is a huge one even just making sure your chain is tight and sharp. Dillio187 is right don't slak on chaps and eye wear, even hearing protection is a must with chainsaws.

Wedge trees when you have to so you don't pinch your bar or have kickback. Even cutting logs lying on the ground, doesn't hurt to wedge them. Standing trees, make sure you have a clear falling path, don't get that tree hung up in another because its only waiting to fall.

Biggest I keep on is house keeping, keeping everything clean and stacked in like piles for later removal or burn. Not fun when something changes and you got to run for it and no where to go. Make sure you have an escape route.

Just my thoughts on that topic.

Kyle.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 5 Sep 2013 12:02

Since getting the cabin and having 20 acres of hardwoods my chainsaw skills and equipment has greatly improved. By way of the school of hard knocks I figured out the wedges. The helmet, gloves and ear protection are things I knew about.

After reading your post the chaps is something that I didn't think of. I got on Amazon and started reading the reviews on chaps. Never before have I seen some many horror stories and near misses due to chain saws. Most of them were not from things you would have expected. I got respect and religion now
I thank you for that and a set of chaps is on order.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 5 Sep 2013 12:13

I think chaps are a "must-have". Last year I was cutting some ground wood up with my Husqvarna 454. It gets heavy after a while, and I got sloppy. My chaps now have a nice nick in the left thigh-area (but better them than my leg). It's a constant reminder now to never let my guard down.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 6 Sep 2013 12:05

For anyone following this thread that want to get their safety gear up to snuff. These are decent equipment at good prices. Wish I saw this before I order these same chaps.

VMInnovations discounts a selection of new power tools and protective gear via the coupon codes listed below. Plus, all orders free shipping.
The deals, with prices after the coupons:
Husqvarna Heavy Duty Leather Chain Saw Protective Gloves for $15.99 via code "HDL15"
Husqvarna Chain Saw Carrying Case/Bag for $19.99 via code "CC19"
Husqvarna Pro Forest Helmet System with earmuffs for $36.99 via code "PF36"
Husqvarna Chain Saw Protection Gear Chaps for $39.99 via code "HN39"

spencerin
# Posted: 9 Sep 2013 00:05 - Edited by: spencerin

So, after a few drinks tonight, I'll chime in -

Labor Day weekend I went to my place for the night and saw a tree fell over and missed my cabin by 4'. Phew. So, I cut it up the following day. The only protection I had on was steel-toe boots. Talk about DUMB! Nothing happened, but I was thinking to myself the entire time how stupid I was being because something could have flown into my eye or I could have cut into my leg. Heck, tons of wood chips flew into the ankles of my boots and made for some great chafing because I didn't have jeans on.

Coincidentally, as I was mowing my grass near my solar panel, I got stung twice in my head. Turns out some wasps were starting to build a nest on an underside corner of the panel and I got too close for their comfort. As you can imagine, they are no more.

creeky
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 10:31

as the fall season approaches and I'm doing more wood cutting. this is a timely reminder. i'm looking for chaps now too. thx.

last summer I was cutting wood and these tiny little bees flew out from somewhere. i was bit innumerable times in a second. man I cursed.

one thing. vinegar did help with the stinging. still had a baseball mitt for a hand for a few days tho.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 12:11

Sorry to hear about the wasp stings. Yikes! Sounds like we are in a similar situation... cleaning up a pond site on a relatively new property. And thanks for your input on my thread

Regarding chainsaw safety, I read the same stories on amazon about the chaps (or lack of) and added those to my cart immediately after lol. Along with the other items mentioned here.

Definitely pretty raw when it comes to using a chainsaw so I want to make sure I have the basics covered. Off to research using wedges...

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 18:59

Was stung several weeks ago by 9 yellow jackets while hand pruning a ground cover shrub. Started at my wrist to forearm, chest, back, neck, head and right under my eye then they left me alone. I left them alone too, I didn't even see where the nest was. Still have a half pruned shrub. Next day stung by a hornet...first time for a hornet sting. The welt from the hornet sting was considerably larger than the YJ.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 26 Aug 2014 07:29 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

They don't sting us beer drinkers. Now you know the whole story.

creeky
# Posted: 26 Aug 2014 12:53

Lol. I left the beer drinkin' till after the chainsaw use. doh. thx for the tip.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.