Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Anybody here in Virginia?
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Salty Craig
# Posted: 17 Dec 2013 19:51

I needed a mirror at my cabin. So I headed off to a second hand store. The lady wanted 5 bucks for this sweet old mirror. Its real solid and looks like something stolen from the Sistine Chapel. I couldn't be happier.

Salty Craig
mirror
mirror

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 6 Feb 2014 06:48

Hey everyone... I'm from Virginia too. I'm not a land and cabin owner yet, but I've recently put an offer to purchase in the Shenandoah mountains. Pretty exciting!

Anyhow, I really like this forum as a resource... get's me thinking.

Anybody else near Strasburg, VA?

Salty Craig
# Posted: 6 Feb 2014 13:13

RichInTheUSA
Thanks for checking in. I live about a half hour south of Strasburg. My cabin is at the Chesapeake Bay. The Shenandoah Mountains are very nice in the Strasburg area. Good luck on the offer! Keep us posted on your outcome.

Salty Craig

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 6 Feb 2014 17:00

Will do. I can't wait to get it.

I'm wondering if tree houses count as cabins... I've been inspired by the tree house show on cable. hmmm. could be a possibility.

sparky1
# Posted: 7 Feb 2014 08:17

I had some tree houses as a Kid. Hurricanes came a wrecking -so I just do them on ground.
bought a Amish 10 x 16 double front door, Farmville, va store on 460.
& then bought a 8x10 kit one from lowes. but beefed it up. neither liveable--but working on it. solar first. then insulate.
sparky1

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 7 Feb 2014 17:24

Nice Sparky. how about some pics?

brandon3006
# Posted: 9 Feb 2014 20:27

Hey, looks like i'm late. I'm in VA, so good to meet ya'll. I'm from Richmond, living in Charlottesville. Looking for land near C'peake Bay or out in Piedmont Area.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 9 Feb 2014 21:08

Hey Brandon, welcome! I'm in the process of buying land and a cabin now. Learning a lot in the process, but no expert.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 10 Feb 2014 21:28

brandon3006
I have 10.6 acres for sale on the Northern Neck with a cabin!!!!! Bought waterfront so I'm moving camp. Its 2.5 hours from Charlottesville. Welcome to the forum. We all love our places of solitude.

Salty Craig

Salty Craig
# Posted: 10 Feb 2014 21:31

RichInTheUSA
How many acres is that piece of land that you are dealing on?

Salty Craig

Salty Craig
# Posted: 10 Feb 2014 21:34

brandon3006
PS Its so close to water that you can hear boats occasionally.

Salty Craig

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 10 Feb 2014 21:48

Salty Craig
A tad over 30 acres.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 28 Feb 2014 18:57

I'm closer to purchasing our cabin.

Just has a home inspection done, which brought up a few minor issues.

Also, we had a good time walking around the woods with a metal detector, identifying and then marking all the property boundaries.

I did find two "game cameras" and some ATV tracks. I'll need to address that once the property is actually in my name.

Anyhow, that's the update!

Don_P
# Posted: 28 Feb 2014 22:52

Looks like I have neighbors, we're in Grayson as well. Farmers Market Workshops all day at the 1908 courthouse tomorrow and a Pete Seeger Memorial singalong at 6, come on down.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 1 Mar 2014 08:49

Don, Sounds like a lot of fun. Won't be able to make it this weekend.

Have a good time!

keljohnso
# Posted: 2 Mar 2014 10:49

Near Chase City

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 15 Mar 2014 10:06

This weekend I have a "walk through" on our soon-to-be new cabin, followed by settlement Monday AM.

Here is a video of the creek and cabin. It looks like it's 3 stories, but the bottom level is a cellar. The top level is 2 stories: a great room and a loft... the loft has a walk out porch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QETmqE0zGSw

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 17 Mar 2014 11:36 - Edited by: RichInTheUSA

I'm a cabin and land owner!!! Settled this AM and was able to get out there this afternoon. Moving a few items in.

Here are a few pics of the inside.
20140317_17.28.50..jpg
20140317_17.28.50..jpg
20140317_17.28.13..jpg
20140317_17.28.13..jpg
20140317_16.07.45..jpg
20140317_16.07.45..jpg

sparky1
# Posted: 31 Mar 2014 10:34

here's the 8 x 10 shed Kit I bought from lowes
shed kit lowes.
shed kit lowes.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 16 May 2014 07:48

RichInTheUSA
Wow! That's a pad! Looks awesome.

Salty Craig

Salty Craig
# Posted: 16 May 2014 07:50

sparky1
That should do the trick. Is that for living, storage, or camping?

Salty Craig

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 16 May 2014 08:06 - Edited by: RichInTheUSA

Thanks Craig. We have it mostly set up now... Next steps are getting a tractor (and building a shed to put it in) so that I can cut some of the grass on the cleared land.

Quoting: Salty Craig
Wow! That's a pad! Looks awesome.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 30 May 2014 18:53

We bought our 30 acres this winter... and now just exploring parts of the property that had no trails. What better way to go than up the creek without a paddle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_g6I6nFuN0

The video was taken using an HD camera embedded into sun glasses... so, it's a little shaky.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 30 May 2014 21:48

RichInTheUSA
You and I think alike. I would be pannin that stream big time. Go for the gold bro! The stream is sweet. Great looking property. Congratulations.

Salty Craig

Salty Craig
# Posted: 30 May 2014 22:04

So here's my update. I went to the cabin over Memorial Day weekend. Took my dad, one brother, one nephew and a dude from church. We had a great time. On Saturday I mowed and weedeated. Sunday we went out twice fishing on the Rappahannock. Monday I finished the front wall paneling. I have half of the back gable end to do, then it's ceiling and flooring. Let me just say that three days at my cabin goes way to fast.

Salty Craig
Done mowing
Done mowing
Food
Food
Sunset over River
Sunset over River

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 31 May 2014 07:09

Looks awesome... I had no idea the Rap. River was so wide.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 1 Jun 2014 06:44

RichInTheUSA
It's give or take 2 miles wide where I'm at. 3ish at the mouth. Real beautiful river indeed.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 10 Aug 2014 18:30 - Edited by: Salty Craig

With help from my dad and 2nd daughter, I started to put up pine ceiling this weekend. Stopped at lowes and bought a new trim nailer. Got around 300 square ft. put up Saturday. We rested today.

Salty Craig
A good start
A good start
8" tongue and groove
8" tongue and groove
New nailer
New nailer
Hard at work
Hard at work

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 10 Aug 2014 20:56

Craig, Looking good and making progress! I like the way the ceiling looks. Will you stain it, polyurethane, or keep it natural?

As for me, I'm still working on enclosing the area below my deck for equipment storage. My family spent a full week a the cabin the week before last, but I didn't want to make it a work time.

I did get out the bush hog yesterday and cut more paths so that we can access the smaller of two creeks easily. We have about .7 miles of creek going through the property and no easy access. So, I used the bush hog and cut several paths, making sure not to cut down any hardwood saplings.

I also had the state Forrester out a few weeks back. He helped me to identify invasive trees and brush... and made recommendations for keeping the forest healthy and good for wildlife.

We did find a cactus patch on our property (an area about 20 ft x 40). Kinda cool. Unfortunately, all the blooms had already come off the cactus. I'll need to look for it next spring.

Rich

Salty Craig
# Posted: 11 Aug 2014 13:29

RichInTheUSA
I plan to poly it without staining. It will darken some with age so I won't stain to keep it as light as possible.

Salty

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.