Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Canoe storage... looking for inspiration
bobbotron
# Posted: 9 Jul 2014 12:02

I have two wooden canoes now, that need a nice home at the cabin. I'm looking for something outdoors I think, but that will keep them out of the elements. I was hoping you guys and girls could post a few photos of the way you store your canoes and kayaks for inspiration!

Alternatively I do want to build a large workshop where I could store them, but the canoes will be in rough shape if I don't get them covered before then!

bobbotron
# Posted: 9 Jul 2014 12:19

I'm considering building something like this for them, though something stacking instead might be better and lend itself better to enclosing a few sides...

http://cdn.cottagelife.com.s3.amazonaws.com/files/2011/05/Canoe-Rack-Plan.pdf

Patgreat
# Posted: 9 Jul 2014 13:22

For short term until you get your work shop built have you thought about putting them up on horses and covering them with a tarp?? I keep min under my cabin

smallworks
# Posted: 30 Aug 2014 11:49

We kept an opening in our foundation to stash the kayak/canoe, though we may wind up just hanging the canoe from our ceiling with a pulley

Tarmetto
# Posted: 30 Aug 2014 21:03

Not sure if your intent is to keep them safe from the elements, or safe from villains, but we have given thought to this concerning our kayaks.
We came up with the idea to close our future picnic shelter (near the lake) with fence panels from Tractor Supply...the panels are heavy duty 1/4" rod fence panels. Roughly 6" x 6" openings, hot dip galvanized. Panels are 4' x 16'.
We've used these at our home on the deck instead of pickets...they work great.
This would keep honest folks honest.

project_north
# Posted: 30 Aug 2014 21:46

Depending on how much snow you get, you'll need to provide cover. I didn't know this and my canoe cracked with fracture lines along the length due to snow loads, which can be severe in the Parry Sound area. ;-(.

After a costly repair, I now store it under the cabin over the winter.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.