Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / General question about building a driveway over a ditch
Flying Wrench
# Posted: 20 Jul 2014 21:10

I am looking at a piece of property that does not have a driveway. It sits next to a gravel road with a narrow but steep ditch along one side. I estimate that it is about four feet deep, and maybe five feet wide, but it was overgrown when I was there so it is hard to say for sure. I would assume that putting in a driveway would be fairly straightforward, I have never done that before.

Really, what I am wondering is how big of an undertaking is this? Is this something where heavy equipment is a must, or can a few people with shovels and determination tackle it in a day?

Don_P
# Posted: 20 Jul 2014 21:39

Very often connection to a state right of way is by permit, check at the county courthouse. This is so that you don't block a ditch with too small a culvert and wash out the road, enter in a safe place, etc.
Beyond that it sure is preferable to have heavy equipment set the culvert and move the truckloads of fill to cover it. At the same time they can build the driveway.

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Jul 2014 22:18 - Edited by: bldginsp

I agree with Don. I found local backhoe operators who charged reasonable rates to do the work. You would be doing a lot of hand digging to do this yourself. Remember- one barrel of oil does the work of twenty hand laborers working for one year. A tractor is a beautiful thing.

I suggest you look into what the ditch is draining, to find out how much water flows into it during heavy storms. As Don pointed to if you put in too small a culvert it will overflow and damage the road. Two culvert pipes may be necessary. If a permit is required they will probably dictate the size you need but if not and its up to you, you still want to do it right to avoid costly repairs later.

To make bringing equipment to the site worthwhile, plan ahead and have as many tasks for the machine as you can, culvert, driveway, pulling stumps, grade a flat area here for a tent site, dig a hole there for an outhouse, footing piers for cabin, septic system, whatever. When its over you'll agree that bringing a piece of equipment on site, with a good operator, is quite worth the wallet pinch.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 21 Jul 2014 10:47

I assume the property borders with the public road. Check with local municipality - they may/should do it for free.

Flying Wrench
# Posted: 26 Jul 2014 21:49

Thankyou for the replies everyone. Unfortunately for me, that particular piece of property has just been sold.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.