Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Anyone classify themselves as a "lone wolf"?
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
CaptCanuck
# Posted: 31 Jul 2014 20:48

Those that don't know his story should read about Dick Proenneke.

Bushcraft legend and hero to many.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 Jul 2014 21:11

Malamute said it best for me too.

Here is another loner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCysb4_-4jU

Wilbour
# Posted: 31 Jul 2014 21:18

Quoting: CaptCanuck
Those that don't know his story should read about Dick Proenneke

Saw the movie, I was inspired to say the least

Wilbour
# Posted: 31 Jul 2014 21:26

This post has a life of it's own. I think it's got a lot of us thinking about why we do what we do. I believe in helping others with my God given talents but at the same time I have to learn to be still and feel the wonders of nature around me. Dick Proenneke was the extreme but I think we were meant to share more. Like others I have punched a clock for 35 years and soon I will hand my punch card in. Now I will work on my terms.

CaptCanuck
# Posted: 31 Jul 2014 21:34

I just spent a quiet day working on my cabin (almost finished!) and made it back to town just in time to help coach my 9 yr old son's soccer practice.

From one extreme to the other.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 31 Jul 2014 22:43

I like a good mixture of alone time and social time. Actually I love em both. Would probably go nuts if stuck with one or the other. I also have a high stress management job. I deal with customers and coworkers 10 hours a day. Nothing like a quiet evening or weekend at the cabin. I rarely ever talk on the phone after work hours. Even to friends. They know that texting is the only way to communicate with me. I do love to chat in person, but HATE talking on the phone. I take 80 plus calls a day. My dream is a sailboat trip alone for one month. I would either love it or hate it within 3 days.

Love Salty

cabingal3
# Posted: 2 Aug 2014 11:28

i love people.i love family..but i love nature.
i want to be in it more in our retirement.

gunseller
# Posted: 2 Aug 2014 20:56

I have said that I hate people. That may be a little bit of an over statement. I mean most people. I deal with people every day. I do like spending most of my free time alone. I have lived alone for several years. 37 years ago I married my wife. If not for her i would not be living where I do but maybe some where where I would only see people 2 times a year. I agree that I would need supplies from town but I would not be living around people. I love my wife, kids and grandkids. If my wife would go before I do and I am still able I will move somewhere that I can not be found. I have said enough.
Steve

papawawesome
# Posted: 11 Aug 2014 02:28

I'm non social, except online. I am friendly, and respectful, but, I don't care for the way people treat each other, I cant take the traffic and noise, and everybody rushing here and there to get nothing done. Everybody is jacked up on energy drinks, and moving too damn fast for me anymore. I'm happy when it's just me, the wife, the dog, and peace and quiet. But I have chronic panic/anxiety disorder. I actually need the piece and quiet for health reasons. It forced me into early retirement, without pay, thank God my wife has a good education and career or we'd be screwed.

Malamute
# Posted: 11 Aug 2014 13:29

There are some truly quiet places left, that don't have people running 100 mph all the time. I don't mind the day in town, but love the silence (yes, silence, not just quiet) of the place I live. Once in a while I hear things people related when Im out in the hills, but its also often totally silent. Fort some reason that bothers some people, I love it. Many times I step out in my yard, and hear nothing human related. Once in a while a dog off in the distance. Coyotes, or rarely, wolves will be singing.

creeky
# Posted: 11 Aug 2014 15:41

I've already posted on this topic. But an online family member, praise be the facebook (smile), challenged me to write 3 positive things about my life for seven days. I was very uncomfortable with the idea. "lame" is the first word that came to mind. And, as it exposed what I love about my off grid life to my extended friends and family, I was uncomfortable.

So of course I had to do it.

What. that which does not kill you makes you stronger and all that.

One of the posts really resonated with a friend I haven't seen in a ... fifteen years. At least.

It was about watching the birds nest in the field. And how you had to spend time and be still. Still for a good period of time. Still for more than a second. Or a minute. Still for an hour. Over days.

My friend has kids and needs to work and ... but she's on holiday and so she sat on the porch of her rented cabin and she was still. She noticed the sun rise was amazing. Two days in a row. She saw a fish leap from the water. Something she had never seen before. And she sees these moments as making her stronger, healthier, happier.

Perhaps the strength of the lone wolf is the power of being able to be still. To quietly organize a life that may look empty. But is filled with the beauty that only a stillness can provide.

papawawesome
# Posted: 11 Aug 2014 16:57

^^ A good read, and I completely "get it".
It looks like I will be in good company here on this forum

Malamute
# Posted: 11 Aug 2014 17:43

Well said Creek

rmak
# Posted: 12 Aug 2014 10:48 - Edited by: rmak

My parents owned a fishing cabin in Ontario and we would go up every summer. There was a rumor of a hermit living in those parts. One day, when my dad and I were on the far side of the lake and this old bearded guy (no one had a beard back then) popped out of the woods. He was the hermit the locals talked about. The biggest thing I remember is his smell. It was very strange, not really bad, and made up of many smells. He took a liking to me for some reason and gave me an old beat up small hunting knife with a hand made sheath. I still have it a half century later in the attic, and it still has the hint of that smell too. I never saw where he lived, never saw him again. He's the "lone wolf" that I would gage everyone else against. I can't imagine what his life was like or what eventually happened to him.

Malamute
# Posted: 12 Aug 2014 13:01 - Edited by: Malamute

Rmaks hermit story reminds me of something I read. There was a chapter in one of Calvin Rutstrums books titled 'Remittance Men and Others". It was an interesting read. He mentioned running into guys in far flung places when he was travelling the back country by canoe or dog team. The book was titled "Paradise Below Zero". I've found most of Rutstrums books to be interesting, the later ones being a bit less "how to do it" and more philosophical regarding the remote lifestyle.

Glad this came up, I haven't read any of his stuff in a couple years, its about time. He fuels the desire to wander wild country, and for cabin life.

Ann
# Posted: 12 Aug 2014 17:32

There are extroverts and introverts (read the best seller Quiet by Susan Cain; or Party of One by Anneli Rufus). I am clearly in the latter category.
Significant time alone is extremely important for introverts, in terms of maintaining sanity and replenishing energy drained by being around people.

I built my cabin as a place to get away from my work and other people, including family and friends. I even debated whether I should have more than one chair.

When I get there, especially at night, I just stand and "listen" to the silence.

For most people, the worst circumstance they can think of is being alone -- being sick alone, dying alone even spending a weekend alone. But cabin dwellers, even if they are not introverts, understand that being alone is to be valued as it is increasingly rare, necessary and difficult to attain.

Malamute
# Posted: 12 Aug 2014 21:49 - Edited by: Malamute

^ ^ Quite right.

You are the first person I've seen mention feeling drained after being around other people.

Most people don't understand when I mention silence. I think the significance of it is very much misunderstood.

Having recently gone through a rather interesting couple weeks dealing with a kidney stone from heck, a couple people mentioned if maybe I shouldn't live closer to town. I even considered it myself. Just one evening, standing outside, looking up at the stars in a sky so dark the milky way jumps out at me, seeing the faint afterglow of the sun behind the mountain, leaves no doubt that I wouldnt be as happy in a town, or closer to noise, lights and people. I have enough neighbors to have help if I needed it (and didn't complain in the least when I needed 3 trips to the ER), and enough space to have true quiet, and dark skies.

I don't want to be anywhere else. I'm home.

1300_stainless
# Posted: 14 Aug 2014 12:48

I've been lurking on this forum for a while since starting the construction of my "camp" (small 10x10 cabin). I intended to sign up at some point but did so right now because this topic really hits home.

I am an introvert. Have been for a very long time. It does not mean that I don't like people, in fact a great deal of my time is spent helping others out. However people do wear me out mentally and I recharge best alone. I've often struggled with this. Most people don't fully understand unless they themselves are introverts. I feel guilty when I skip a social event, but sometimes a day or evening to myself is really all I want, and need. It's just the way I am and it took a long time to accept it and make peace with it.

This is what sparked my tiny cabin build. It's nestled in the woods on my family's property just far enough from my house to be quiet and isolated, but close enough to be convenient. It's quickly becoming my favorite spot to be. I look forward to each weekend when I can flee into the woods and hide out for a bit lol.

rugercpl
# Posted: 23 Aug 2014 15:36

I am blessed in that my cabin is in the Catskill Mountains of New York State and I am surrounded by trails up and down these mountains. I am currently working on my "Catskill 35" and day-tripping to trailheads to bag these old peaks. I hike alone for a few reasons. Firstly I am a brisk hiker, and some friends I have may not like my pace. Second, conversation doesnt always flow out of me, and when it does it may be about a topic that I dont love talking about..especially if I'm asked a question about my business, or a current or past relationship. I guess my quest is to clear my mind of things...especially negativity....as hard as that is at times. Ive found that the best substance for me is oxygen and exercise,trees, wildlife..... followed by evenings at the cabin with me in near complete control of stimuli. The days I am not doing this it is complete opposite. I own a business thats entirely dependent on retail walk-in foot traffic, and my 12 employees to do their jobs. At 41 years old I'm just beginning to realize what makes me happy and what I must do to achieve it. I mostly must learn to like living on less and the cabin is really helping. The mortgage on the cabin and it's eight secluded acres will be paid off in 4 years, my car payment will be finished in 4 years, and I have a few other things that will be paid off within that time. I have promised myself not to take on any further long-term debt. I will always have to have another living accomodation, as the cabin really is only set-up for 3 season use. I live close to 2 ski areas and winter rentals are always available. Within the next 4 years I am hoping to sell my business or walk away comfortably, and make my living in a less chaotic way with fewer (if any) employees. It's not that I don't like my employees, it's that each one are potentially as much trouble as they are worth. Each person plays a critical role, and when one cog in the wheel steps out of line, it weakens the team. The workforce in my area is slim to none. There are no stacks of resumes or applications on my desk. I have to make due with the ones that I have, and often times that means lowering your standards. The population here is about 1800, and as most of you would agree...people want to work less and less. The 16 to 30 year olds do not have the work ethic that we or our ancestors have. The "entitlement state" is a real problem. I have had employees with premeditated plans to work just long enough to collect unemployment benefits and then do something atrocious to get fired but still be eligible for some form of benefits...unemployment, disability, or welfare. I am currently involved in a lawsuit by a former employee who is insinuating that she was fired for being pregnant when she was fired for completely other reasons...her own insubordination. This just skims the surface of the problems I have as a business owner. Any business person will tell you that all this comes with the territory of being a business owner and the price of being "your own boss", and I agree. But this is why I just generally am mistrusting of most people and want to rely on them less. This is why I consider myself an aspiring "lone wolf" and why I love my small cabin.

moregon
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 15:00

I am an introvert. Its taken me a long time to be okay with that because society has always had a negative outlook on people like us.

I too am surrounded by people daily, my job involves managing a large group of people. I find at times people suck the very life out of me and to re-charge I need a lot of alone time.

I am looking forward to retirement where hopefully I will see very few people. I've purchased some land in an extremely remote part of Oregon, closest town is 70 miles away.....next summer the small remote cabin goes in....I cannot wait!

Tarmetto
# Posted: 26 Aug 2014 09:30

I'm not a hermit, but I do enjoy my alone time. I'm actually blessed with more "real" best friends than anyone deserves, but still crave the solitude of wading a remote river, riding my Harley alone, and standing on a wind-swept bald in temps that keep all others away.
I'm happiest when near water, any water, and 99.9% of the time I am accompanied by my 2 Boxers (they go to work with me, and even kayak with me) which never fails to bring me joy.
The wife also enjoys the same things, but she's not willing to brave any extremes like I am.

Pookie129
# Posted: 26 Aug 2014 14:38

Ann I hear you on the standing in silence and just taking it in.

Sometimes I don't even like my partner to come - it is impossible for him to sit still, be quiet or soak up the silence and hear the woods, wilderness and wildlife.

He is only allowed to come once in a while for this very reason...lol..lol - however, he is absolutely fine with that as he is a people person and the isolation wears on him after a few days, where I am the exact opposite...lol.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 26 Aug 2014 15:04

Anne said it best!

I love being at my property with just my dog, taking in the sights and sounds of the wilderness. That's my kind of "boys night out"

The big city wears me down and thankfully I can go here and recharge. So ya... Lone Wolf fits and that's how some people refer to me. It's all good

Wilbour
# Posted: 26 Aug 2014 19:35

rugercpl
You are right when you speak of the joys of living with less. I think most of us are outcasts for enjoying our cabins without power or phone . part of me enjoys not having a tablet or computer at my disposal . then i do appreciate when i get home and watch what I've PVR'd . So living with less makes us all lone wolves .

The Hermit
# Posted: 27 Aug 2014 22:33

I've been retired for a decade. I've built 6 cabins over the years and have lived in my current one since '86. My main cabin is 24x40, not small for sure, and I have my original cabin still on the same property.It's a 12x14. Nothing can be seen from the road. I know the names of my neighbors and they know me. We don't socialize much but we can be counted on in a pinch. I have loads of wild game here and I enjoy them.
Since my Donna passed away in 2005, I have lived alone and I like it, thus my neighbors refer to me as The Hermit. I heat with wood and have a 1934 Kalamazoo wood cook stove with a double warming oven on top. I can't say that I hate people, but I find most people in the stores and places that I shop, to be very rude. Nobody holds a door open for a lady any more, "here ya go" is the words I get as I'm given my change. No thank you. I am living in the past.
I drive 12 miles to get groceries once a month and I stock up for winter so that I can pick and choose when I leave.
I satisfy my social needs by going out for dinner on occasion but usually can't wait to get home. I remember Pres. Truman. I remember when a handshake was as good as gold.
But I am basically a happy camper. Got a roast in the smoker and mashed potatoes with gravy tonight, so life is good.
Relax a little and listen to your soul. You will find what makes you sing.

The Hermit

moregon
# Posted: 27 Aug 2014 22:38

Hermit. ... you are beautiful. ..

Malamute
# Posted: 27 Aug 2014 23:12

Hermit, sorry to hear courtesy and politeness has left your area. You have a nice place to live though, from your description.

Fortunately, not all the world has gone away from common courtesy. I'm blessed to live somewhere that seems to have been left behind by the world in many ways. Most in town are very friendly. Out and away from town, strangers wave on the road.

bobrok
# Posted: 27 Aug 2014 23:35

+1

SandyR
# Posted: 28 Aug 2014 20:09

I don't have too much to say different from anyone else.

I think that I have the best of both worlds. I have a home that I can count on that is around people. I have tumors that need to be classified, and like was already posted, I don't know what I would do without them these last weeks.

I like going to my land, that will have a cabin on it in hopefully three weeks. There is no where in the world that I would rather be than there also looking at the milky way with the sky full of stars.

And I have a constant companion - my dog Abbey. We are always together and she never leaves my side. I am not complete unless she is by my side. Here is a picture of us on our land. The rest of the family was eating berries and I got tired so I sat down, and she sat by my side. My husband took the camera out of his pocket as he told her to kiss Mommy. All I did was turn my head and pucker up.

rugercpl
# Posted: 28 Aug 2014 20:35

Think that was a typo....tumors classified?

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.