Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Anyone classify themselves as a "lone wolf"?
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Tarmetto
# Posted: 28 Aug 2014 20:43

SandyR,
I prefer my dogs over most people. Our male Boxer can read me like a book...and me him. Our female Boxer is precious, but she depends more on us than we do her....still a darling though.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 28 Aug 2014 22:05

SandyR,

You do know that dogs lick their butts?

Salty

SandyR
# Posted: 29 Aug 2014 07:49

Quoting: Salty Craig
You do know that dogs lick their butts?

Salty

Yup. I have three kids. My mouth has been places too. My husband doesn't think twice about kissing me!

Classified - we need to see if the tumors are benign, or not. I have been so tired lately

Saundra
# Posted: 29 Aug 2014 18:54

Who was Michael Corleone

bldginsp
# Posted: 29 Aug 2014 22:17

Michael Corleone was the mafia don in the Godfather book and films. He died old and alone in Sicily after all his family members were either killed or driven away from him by, well, him. You could say he was a tragic figure who was caught up in circumstances that led to his lonely old age, or you could say that he created his loneliness himself. Either way, a sad fate. Though I do spend a lot of time alone, I do not classify myself as a lone wolf, and hope that there are loving individuals around me in my later years.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 30 Aug 2014 18:22

I read this yesterday about the Maine Hermit...he was the lone wolf--27 years living in a tent...NOT ME!!!!

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201409/the-last-true-hermit?src=longreads& printable=true

Salty Craig
# Posted: 30 Aug 2014 20:39

SandyR

I hope things are ok with you. Not sure what's going on but I will say a prayer.

Salty

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 1 Oct 2014 01:11

I'm an introvert and shy by nature. All of my life, people have pressed me to overcome that and, by all appearances, I have. But what they don't know is that it is only by sheer will and forcing myself (and sometimes alcohol ) to be the "life of the party" and not a social moron. Having to interact with a lot of people exhausts me and, now that I have a disease called Lupus which causes wretched fatigue, anyway, I don't have energy to throw away! Besides, my family is mostly gone so it's about time that I should simply be myself and if people don't like it -- tough!

Weirdly, though, I was a teacher and I LOVED teaching. My students gave me energy but that was because I am passionate about literature and it was awesome sharing it with them. But dealing with other adults in the profession and a bunch of meetings? Heaven help me.

Being introverted and very good-natured, I was often targeted by people who were users, too. I've had my fill of them! So while I DO love to sometimes share time with a few good friends who know me well and love me, I am very happy by myself working on projects, writing, and doing creative things.

My cabin project/organic mini-farm is a very wonderful and creative thing. I am so looking forward to living in a beautiful environment, taking walks in my woods, and caring for my plants and animals. I'm sure I'll make a few good friends in Oregon who share these passions, too, and understand.

RMP
# Posted: 1 Oct 2014 11:35

I've always been a loner.....was born that way I believe.

As I grew from a youngster to an adult I began to see vast differences in the competence levels of people. And I'm not talking only about competence on the job, I'm talking about competence in dealing with all aspects of life.

I began to trust my judgement more and more, and rely on my common sense and skills rather than look to others, who, often, would add to my daily tasks/problems rather than help me with them.

So it's no surprise that I've always admired the mountain men of the 1800's and the pioneering farm families. These people had to have skills and use them judiciously just to survive, let alone prosper. They could not make very many mistakes, if any, because their life could depend on being error-free......they had to be competent in all ways.

Contrast these pioneers with an average person in an average city today.

moregon
# Posted: 17 Oct 2014 15:38

Julie2Oregon are you already in Oregon? Where abouts? I'll be building a cabin next summer, south east area.

As an introvert myself I have no desire to spend time with folks either. I am looking forward to just hanging out in the forest....no sounds of voices, sirens, horns.....it will be great!

Monique

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 17 Oct 2014 19:24

moregon,
I'll be moving there next summer, too, hopefully! Bonanza area, on Bly Mountain. I can't wait! I'm getting everything in place; I have the land and a cabin builder and I've spoken with the county officials. I'll be putting my house up for sale and then moving. I'll have to rent an apartment up there temporarily.
Julie

neb
# Posted: 19 Oct 2014 00:00 - Edited by: neb

There is some very interesting posts describing the lone wolf inside us. When reading them I feel like I know each and everyone of you. We all need people in our lives and we all depend on people in one way or another.

It's like the saying;

The strength of the wolf is the pack and the strength of the pack is the wolf. People still need people from time to time but for me there is nothing better then being at the cabin in the hills or along the river being in tune with nature and being alone.

Fanman
# Posted: 11 Nov 2014 19:12

I have a mix.

My cabin is one of a small cabin community of 60 cabins, actually it's primarily a summer camp where I grew up, my parents had a cabin (not the same one) there throughout my childhood. Most of my neighbors are the kids I grew up with or their spouses But come Labor Day, everybody is gone... except me.

My wife, who grew up in the city, loves the cabin. She's up there from late spring until the water is turned off in October. Me, unfortunately I have to work for a living, so I drive up there on Friday night after work, spend the weekend, and get up early to drive to work on Monday morning (2 hours). Winters we stay home, her temperature tolerance doesn't extend as low as mine.

But... she has lots of girlfriends in the town she grew up in, and likes to visit them in the winter. When she does, I head up to the cabin for the weekend. Nobody's there, just a fire in the fireplace, me and the silence and a few books and maybe a bottle of good single malt.
cabin
cabin

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 28 Dec 2014 08:34

Lone wolf part-time! Everyone or at least nearly everyone needs to get away from the herd now and then.

Yet then again, there are folks who will literally wilt and fade without other people being around though.

rmak
# Posted: 28 Dec 2014 09:10

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
I'm an introvert and shy by nature...Weirdly, though, I was a teacher and I LOVED teaching. My students gave me energy but that was because I am passionate about literature and it was awesome sharing it with them. But dealing with other adults in the profession and a bunch of meetings? Heaven help me.

Hi Julie!
I can really relate to your post. I have always scored way on the introvert side on the Myers-Briggs and consider myself a true introvert. Even though I have a family and enjoy it,
I always sneak away and spend time alone. Luckily my wife enjoys her alone time too.

I am teaching now as a second career and find that I love most of it, just like you. I find that most of my teacher friends are introverts as well. They all seem to live inside their heads when not teaching. I had to laugh at our Christmas party this year. Even though our Principal encouraged a party atmosphere, no one talked much and all left early.

sparky1
# Posted: 28 Dec 2014 11:40

Lone Wolf yep-
I thought I had added my 2 cents earlier but don't see it.
I have lived alone since coming home from Beirut & a Horrible divorce she got it all, now she's gone.
I bought my place in the woods, June 1984, just some crappy land 20 miles from the noise, grocery stores, lived in a 17 ft trailer for years till the county made me get septic & a well & power, after surviving big dollars gone. I was forced to buy a liveable trailer, & a certificate of occupancy. then I decided to retire. no real neighbors, pretty much peace & quiet a few stray dogs now & then. I have 2 cats for company, all my Family died prior to 1999, no kids. I keep to my self, don't trespass or bother anyone (no noise on Sundays) I campout on my place. watch the world go by. do as I please. cut some paths in the woods, for my friends to come "Shooting" & escape the town life they hate. I could never go back to city life. rather die in the woods,
I am on the grid for all the fancy stuff.I have solar panels for Lights at night, paid for it self years ago. even my second well has a solar Powered pump-for emergencies. cell phones don't work here ,No cable or High speed internet Just dial up. no street lights, just clear sky's mostly-Enjoying Nature as it should be. Happiest days of my life have been here..
sparky1 in the boonies of southern Va.

rmak
# Posted: 28 Dec 2014 12:07

Hi Sparky,
Thanks for your service. I'm a combat veteran of Vietnam myself and can identify with a bad times and divorce and wanting to get away from everything when you get home. Most of my demons are behind me now, but it's been a long haul. I just wanted you to know that if things get overwhelming there is help available. Vet organizations like American Legion and the VFW can usually connect you up with counselors, all of whom are vets themselves as well as other services. Sounds like you're doing OK, but PTSD gets buried lots of times and pops out later. No need to respond. Just wanted to put it out there. Take care.

sparky1
# Posted: 28 Dec 2014 13:11

Thanks;
Thanks you for your service as well. I couldn't go to NAM, I'm a sole survivor- -big deal got Nuked out so that ended the part of being a Daddy.
I do get LONELY sometimes when I invite x bosses son or his friends 120 miles to my place, NO night life here, nothing to do here But have a beer,
The VA in Richmond,Va hasn't seen me in almost 3 years. had some throat surgery & they forgot? to put me under, no apology---never checked up on me either. never had a appointment since- so I don't waste my time. driving 105 miles to be treated like crap. I'm not bitter, just no use. I.m surviving ok. got the internet on dial up, direct tv. Beer in the fridge. gas in the cars. food in the cabinet.
im the only prepper for miles. all the rest are sheepple-.
sparky1,

AdkJack
# Posted: 28 Dec 2014 19:15

I live alone in the mountains totally off grid. Solar and wood is all I use. I am 5 miles or so from the nearest road. Winters, I can go 3 or 4 weeks without seeing a human. I can tolerate people to a point and then I need to get away from them. I am educated. I retired 10 yrs ago to this off grid mountain cabin with a fine pension and am 55 now. Life is Awesome...Lone wolf probably not. Just a guy wanting to be himself.

Darenkcbiggar
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 19:30

I usually go to my camp with my dogs, enjoy not trying to keep others satisfied!
image.jpg
image.jpg

CanadianNorth
# Posted: 4 Mar 2015 09:06

Life is a pretty lonely journey, regardless if we are coupled or not. I think "lone wolves" recognize this fact. No one really knows us, and sometimes we really surprise ourselves. We are constantly changing individuals.

I enjoy independence and sometimes the company of good people occasionally. And what I mean by good are people you can trust and are respectful of who you are. But that is hard to find and something we have to accept about others. Life is too short to be in the company of the disrespectful. It will poison your life, so steer clear of toxic people.

And our dogs. Who wouldn't like them? They back us even when we are wrong.

rugercpl
# Posted: 3 Aug 2015 14:29

I thought I'd check in and say thank you to all the folks who contributed to this topic I started in August last year. There's some very good content here. If there's any new forum members please feel free to contribute if you like. I have not much new to report. I have begun to make some new real friends that share the love of the outdoors through a hiking club organized online. Since last year I completed summiting all the Catskill 35's, some many times over and many in snowshoes and crampons over the winter. My new friends and I are also making time for the Adirondacks, and other mountain ranges in the northeast. After hiking, I love nothing more than relaxing back at the cabin where once again I feel like the leash connecting me to the rest of the world is let out for a much much longer feeling of freedom. In just the last month two people I knew passed away....mostly from illness and older-age. I don't know where I am going with that but it's a reminder to me to enjoy life while you can, which my cabin reminds me I am doing because it's here that I can just chill or plan my next adventure away from work, completely surrounded by nature.

leonk
# Posted: 3 Aug 2015 22:55

I looked at this thread title many many times and never looked inside, until today... what a lot of interesting info and good people posted here
Ann mentioned a book by Susan Cain, here's video of her talking on the subjects of introverts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0KYU2j0TM4

I really like being alone, but if I go hunting for a few days (pretty much the only time I leave my family) I miss them instantly.
I certainly can't stand crowds, big parties or rush hour traffic.

rmak
# Posted: 4 Aug 2015 11:31

Loved the TED video, leonk! Interesting point about group learning. In our school it's called "cooperative learning experience". Kind of makes me re-think when I "encouraged" (might as well say forced) shy kids to join a group when they didn't want to. Might have to show that part of the video to our principal.

Woodthrush
# Posted: 11 Aug 2015 09:06 - Edited by: Woodthrush

Like others have said, I also need to be alone to recharge because being with people drains me. I am happiest in my woods. I live here full time. I can work from home ~3 days/week and go in to the office the other 2 days. People are fine and I think most of them are good, but I am happiest with the forest sounds, the creatures, the clean air, and the peacefulness. And yes I have four dogs who are pretty quiet for the most part.

steverobertson
# Posted: 21 Aug 2015 11:31 - Edited by: steverobertson

I wouldn't say I'm an isolationist or lone wolf because I love people. My personal problem is I don't trust people. I don't trust government because it's run by people I don't trust. I'm definitely an anarchist.

rugercpl
# Posted: 4 Dec 2015 20:30

I really enjoy reading these stories so i'm gonna bump this up and hope for more

Topper
# Posted: 4 Dec 2015 23:11 - Edited by: Topper

Quoting: rugercpl
my cabin is in the Catskill Mountains of New York State

Born & raised in the Catskills.

Now, as far North and West as you can go without a passport.

Labels? Could care less about labels.

Party Of One by Anneli Rufus -- good book!

"Keep myself to myself."

offgridliving
# Posted: 15 Dec 2015 09:28 - Edited by: offgridliving

Just a quick funny story. Maybe this should be another thread called "My Best Lone Wolf Experience".

After a particularly heavy spring-time snow, 8 feet to be exact, I was making a feeble attempt to plow the road, which is a one lane shelf road. I was about half way down the hill when a huge gust of wind knocked loose the snow on numerous trees. Upon hitting the ground, it started a snow slide. I saw it coming but it was too late. I was instantly buried under 8 to 10 feet of snow. But.....at least I was inside the truck!!!!

At that particular moment, I really felt like the lone wolf!!!

All joking aside, I think most of us self-reliant folks have a little bit of the lone wolf attitude. It is what makes us step outside the box that society puts us in and develop a lifestyle where you really are responsible for everything that you do and everything you don't do.

It does not necessarily make you a societal reject. Living in such a way actually makes you the exact opposite. I personally cannot boast of having a list of hundreds of friends that would show up at my funeral if something happened to me. But, I can boast of a smaller circle of friends that would literally do anything for me and I would do the same for them. This is such a valuable asset when living a self-reliant lifestyle because sometimes there are tasks that you just cannot complete yourself.

I cannot say the same about city life where many people never even know their neighbors.

A little personal philosophy: The best time to make a friend is when you don't need one.

Gary O
# Posted: 15 Dec 2015 10:04

Quoting: PA_Bound
So I read down through all these posts, and up to recently would have agreed with many of them. But recently I was confronted with circumstances that cause me to offer an alternative position.A few months ago my wife was diagnosed with cancer. It is somewhat advanced, and required immediate, aggressive treatment- which we are in the throws of now. One aspect of that challenge that has amazed me is the number of people, some I barely or don't even know, that have rallied around my wife and my family during this tough time. Between people bringing us food, taking my wife to appointments when my work conflicts, hauling my daughter places when I need to be someplace else, cutting my grass when it gets long and I can't get it done,... I've had people do all of this and more, without even being asked. All of this has left me unable to imagine how anyone could go through a crisis like cancer without other people around to help. So while I'm sure I will still enjoy the solitude of my cabin, and even though I still don't like the direction the country seems to be going, I have been reminded that most people are fundamentally good and that it can be a real blessing at times to have them around.

Had to bump up these profound words.

Going to copy this, add it to my to do list and read it

......often.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.