Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / PM's or other methods of contact?
Malamute
# Posted: 23 Aug 2014 22:28

We don't have private message capabilities on this forum. Is there an acceptable way to make contact outside of this forum?

I mentioned being a member of another forum that had PM capabilities when I thought someone may want to make contact, but that information was removed from my post for some reason.

So, other than post our email address for all the world to see, is there an acceptable way to indicate a way to make contact? There are a couple people here I'd like to contact also, but have no idea how.

Gary O
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 02:02

Quoting: Malamute
I mentioned being a member of another forum that had PM capabilities when I thought someone may want to make contact, but that information was removed from my post for some reason.

It's a phenomena here.

After awhile, ya just come to accept the aspect of having Alzheimer's.

It keeps the head scratching WTF moments down some.

I s'pose a tapping on the wall secret prison code could be developed...understandway? (shhh...shhh.....here they come)

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 04:52

I think if a post is going to be edited by an admin...should have some explanation as to why

creeky
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 10:44

the disappearing posts thing... you see comments made and you're like "right on!" and then two days later you go back and the comment or the preceding one has been removed. and you're like wha?? happne

at the very least there could be a "gee post removed" or "post edited."

and we need a pm mail system here. i don't know if the admin is afraid people will organize a rebellion, but there are way bigger sites that have better, er, facilities, so it's probably hurting the site. eh. my .02.

tap...tap...tap

Gary O
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 13:59

A note of tongue in cheek seriousness;

This site has been around for quite awhile,
and has even grown some
(this factual data based on extensive research certified by Over Price Waterhouse, and other well-known data gatherers, substantiated by none other than Hustler Magazine),
and it seems to be doing just fine as it is.
I mean, hey, the tiny housing boom ain't hurtin' nothin'.

Where wuz I....

Ah, yeah;

We're all smart enough to find a way to get/send each other Emails if we really care to.
And why the paranoia in plastering yer Email addy somewhere?
Will a cyber serial killer find you and internet you to death?

As for 'disappearing' posts;

You never did them

.........if you can't see them (heh heh heh)

tap.....tap.....tappity.......tap tap tap

bobrok
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 14:53

^
What he said.
And on another note, we've had the conversation before as to whether this site should be upgraded or left as is.
IIRC the "left as is" voters were the majority (my vote included in that majority).
There's a thread on this somewhere from a couple of years ago.

Malamute
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 15:08 - Edited by: Malamute

I didn't mean to sound like I was ragging on the admin here, that wasn't my intention. I was honestly curious what we can do to make contact between members here. I honestly cant figure out why mentioning we were a member of another forum would be a problem, especially in light of the situation with PM's here. I understand it would cost money time and trouble to change the format here, and choosing not to do that doesn't bother me. I just wish it wasnt an issue to discuss contact in different ways. The internet is a big world, and some referencing of other places that some may like shouldn't be a problem, (besides being able to go somewhere that folks can use PM's) but maybe theres things I don't understand about admin duties.

Some may not care if their email address is hanging out in cyberspace, some of us choose not to do that.

I don't know how to make that secret email contact. Please help me along here.

bobrok
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 15:18

You can very easily create a throwaway email address for public forum use, internet shopping and the like. I have several, and if one becomes a problem (as is one of my older ones now with sales spam) I can delete it, or simply cease to monitor it.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 15:23

Yes, our reference was to a gun forum, not much connection to, or competitive to small cabins. Just two posters finding something else in common.

Owen

buckybuck
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 15:57

There's a field on your profile page where you can put an email address. One of mine has been there for at least two years now, and a couple of members here have contacted me through that. No problems or phishing so far that I can attribute coming from this forum.

Malamute
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 16:09 - Edited by: Malamute

Quoting: OwenChristensen
Yes, our reference was to a gun forum, not much connection to, or competitive to small cabins. Just two posters finding something else in common.

Yes, I've also mentioned being on a general outdoors and camping forum and it was deleted for some reason. On it (not why I mentioned it at the time), theres a discussion of a small cabin a guy is building, I was going to suggest this forum to the folks there for people that may be interested in the general subject, and to get ideas. I don't think its competition, from either direction. I've seen quite a lot of suggestions of forums on various forums, most don't have issue with it. I didn't know why it was not allowed here.

leonk
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 18:16

the PM issue came up before and the owner said he doesn't like members and good info going private or something like that...
perhaps the tech capability is not there and this forum being old and collecting the few pennies from ads is not worth the upgrade...
this whole thread is likely to disappear on Monday

Salty Craig
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 18:41

Y'all quit pickin on cabin builder. I don't know him, he don't know me, but I think this site is cool as c**p just like it is. I see no reason to pm somebody. We have our real friends that we can call, text, etc. I consider all you folks on here to be the pals I'll never meet!! Look, we all go to our cabin and have a great time, then we come on here and brag about it. There's a good chance that nobody wants to meet me, but if you do, I'll be at Dairy Queen in 30 minutes. Hehehehe

Salty!!

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 19:17 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

Re: editing/deleting posts: one of the admin's and moderator's job is to keep the forum clean of divisive subjects like guns, politics, etc. There are other forums for that. I've seen good people geting into a fight who're usually come along just fine.
Blant off-subject not related links to competitors, provocations (tap-tap), etc are not welcome.
It's a fine line and often not easy to judge. Hope everyone understanslds the challenges.

Re: PM: there are pluses and minuses in having a PM on the forum. One of the minuses is that two members often take discussion offline leaving the rest out of the loop wondering what's going on.
If someone wants to be contacted, their email should be visible in their profile.

Hope this helps.
Peace,
Admin

creeky
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 19:25

i've seen posts disappear (and been okay with it). just refer to an activity alluded to by a time around mid afternoon. even if it is legal in some states. i can sort of see the reason ...

but i've seen others as well. a somewhat negative remark aimed at a beautiful canvas ceiling for instance. that might have been better handled with an "inappropriate content" slug than making the original poster never come back because they felt insulted ...

and forgive me if i'm wrong. but google awards points or whatever to sites that link "socially" to other sites. so wouldn't deleting posts that refer to other sites be ... limiting?

btw. i like the folks on this site. sometimes it is what it is. as ChuckD and Malamute et al point out tho. wet underwear chaffs. eventually you buy better briefs.

i do luv alliteration.

s.c. I'll see ya a cone and raise ya a root beer. leonk that was funny. bb. thx. I put my new website address up there. i got a new tablet and I'm doing a lot of drawing. i call 'em cartoons.

Malamute
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 22:07 - Edited by: Malamute

Quoting: CabinBuilder
Re: editing/deleting posts: one of the admin's and moderator's job is to keep the forum clean of divisive subjects like guns, politics, etc. There are other forums for that. I've seen good people geting into a fight who're usually come along just fine. Blant off-subject not related links to competitors, provocations (tap-tap), etc are not welcome. It's a fine line and often not easy to judge. Hope everyone understanslds the challenges.

I understand keeping the peace and not getting too far off topic.

Sometimes people mention interests in things like raising their own food and being self sufficient. Would asking if they know of something like the homesteading today forum be out of line? It's a little out of the main line of interest here, but not for cabin living for some folks. It doesn't seem like competition, but a complementary interest that some may like. I've mentioned this forum before to people on other forums. Just trying to share things that may be of interest, not trying to step on toes.

The PM thing is interesting. I've often seen moderators telling people to take conversations to PM's when it didn't have direct bearing on what else was going on or was personal. Its your forum, and your rules, and I can abide by them (even if I'm not always sure quite what they are). Not wanting people to have a private conversation beyond email is a little baffling.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.