Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Newbie
Tarmetto
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 21:03

Hello all!
I'm from WNC, and we just signed a contract to purchase an acre lot on a pristine 184 acre lake in SC.
The area is a mix of upper middle class homes, campers, and mobile homes (no restrictions).
The lot is heavily wooded, gentle slope to the water, septic in place, and County water.
There's an old singlewide on the property that needs to be removed, then we'd like to build some sort of cabin....that's why I'm here!
If this deal goes through, we'll be "multi-carolinians"...and our place will be known as "TarMetto Landing" (tarheel/palmetto) since it has a private boat ramp already.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 26 Aug 2014 07:22

Welcome, Can you stay in the single wide while building? Sounds like an interesting area. Please keep us posted.

Tarmetto
# Posted: 26 Aug 2014 07:38

Thanks!
No, the singlewide is in bad shape, needs to be torn down. The current owner is actually going to take care of that.
We do have a toy hauler camper that we can use to stay in.
The property is actually 2 lots, .98 acres combined, and pie shaped....with 200' of waterfront.
There's a 15hp limit on the lake that seems to only apply to non property owners. We've been told that you can kayak several miles up the river from the lake (a big plus as we are avid kayakers).

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 26 Aug 2014 07:53

Good score!

rayyy
# Posted: 27 Aug 2014 18:20

So let the fun begin!What do you have in mind for your cabin design?

Tarmetto
# Posted: 27 Aug 2014 18:28

Quoting: rayyy
So let the fun begin!What do you have in mind for your cabin design?

Preliminary plans are for a mid section 14 x 24 (12' tall) w/loft, and 12 x 24 (8' ceiling) on both sides of that under shed roofs.
Deck would be 38' across the front, possibly under roof with roof hip ridges that tie to the 2 shed roofs...if you can picture that.

Tarmetto
# Posted: 27 Aug 2014 18:49

This will be our view....

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 27 Aug 2014 19:40

Awesome. Congrats

Tarmetto
# Posted: 27 Aug 2014 19:51

Quoting: LoonWhisperer
Awesome. Congrats

Thanks! We're extremely excited about it. The photo was taken from the water's edge at the boat ramp (on the property). The remnants of the dock in the pic is the middle of the lot at the shoreline...it extends another 100' to the left of the dock.
The lake is supposedly loaded with 6-10# bass and catfish primarily.
Very pristine, 30 miles from anything, great place to enjoy with our young grandsons!
If this place were anywhere near where we live in Asheville it would be priced at 10x what we have a contract for, and it's only 2 hours away.

bobrok
# Posted: 27 Aug 2014 23:04 - Edited by: bobrok

@Tarmetto: congratulations on your super find! I mean no disrespect but I can't help but smile at your situation. My daughter and her family live in Charlotte and to them getting away means going up to Asheville and the mountains! When we go for a visit we always talk about a getaway up there, and everything I've read says what a great place Asheville is. I personally haven't made it up there yet but I want to just to see the area. We usually end up at Lake Wylie because it's so close-by to CLT. Sooner or later we will get to Asheville. Actually I can't wait to see the area and the mountains of western NC.
Best of luck on your cabin!
bob

Tarmetto
# Posted: 28 Aug 2014 06:18

bobrok,
I've been here all of my life, and I love it, but Asheville isn't what it used to be.
They call it "Weird"...and it fits. My wife is from Florida, and she was forever trying to get me to take her downtown for the "weirdness". I finally did, and we kinda enjoy it now, enjoying it is like my golf game and billiards game...best with 2 beers...no more...no less...LOL!
I couldn't live away from these mountains for very long, but moving one county away to the north, west, or east would be a lot less expensive and more like what Asheville used to be.

rayyy
# Posted: 28 Aug 2014 16:52

Sure is a pretty spot!

Tarmetto
# Posted: 28 Aug 2014 17:18

Quoting: rayyy
Sure is a pretty spot!

Thanks!
I drove down to look at it, walked through the overgrown lot to the lake, walked back to the truck, called the seller with an offer....done! LOL!
My only condition was that the existing septic be operational, or, it perk for another one. The inspector signed off on the existing one.

John A
# Posted: 17 Sep 2014 19:54

Did an 18X 24 with a loft doubled it with front and side decks under cover. Very cool place... Mines in Western NY...
IMG_20140607_172246..jpg
IMG_20140607_172246..jpg

Tarmetto
# Posted: 6 Jan 2015 21:41

Hope to close on our property this Friday (God willing).
It's been a loooooong wait!
This property was offered for sale by a lady who's husband had passed away 2 years ago with no will. The property was then deeded to the wife and 2 minor children. So the sale had to be approved by probate court (the court representing the minor children's interest).
So after jumping through hoop after hoop to satisfy the court's never ending list of requirements...we are now only waiting on title work to close on the property.
Luckily, the seller has allowed us to basically treat the property as if it were ours since August. We already have a camper set up there, and have done lot's of clean-up while we were waiting. Lots of labor, but didn't want to invest much $ till we actually closed.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.