Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Tumbleweed Tiny Homes...cabins on trailers
rugercpl
# Posted: 27 Aug 2014 21:37

I'm attending the seminar in Philadelphia in September.....a workshop on building these. Has anyone considered building their cabin on a trailer? There's probably a few of you who are or have spent some time in a travel trailer. They seem to be selling quite well out of Sonoma California. I wonder if there is a market for them here on the east coast.

Wilbour
# Posted: 27 Aug 2014 21:42

In my area they are still considered trailers and most counties do not allow them. I have considered them for their creativity and function in a small space

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 28 Aug 2014 09:00

Super pricey for the square footage. There is a documentary on Netflix about a young man that built his own small cabin on a trailer. It is called TINY : http://tinyhousetalk.com/tiny-the-movie/

Trailers are not considered permanent, but some areas don't allow them or may only allow them for a short time. In some areas they fly under the radar, but if they gain anymore in popularity you can bet they will be taxed somehow...

rugercpl
# Posted: 28 Aug 2014 11:09 - Edited by: rugercpl

Pricey yes if purchasing them completely finished...and then there's fresh water and waste water to address. I saw the film "Tiny" on Netflix, and there's many tours of these completed cabins on YouTube. The film explains how few municipalities have restrictions on the type of home you live in, the overall size, and other details. They are definitely not for everyone for everywhere, but an option for those who may not be able to build their cabin on site of their proposed cabin location.

If anyone is interested in building one themselves, check out "Amish barn raiser" which sells these cabins on wheels only partially constructed...with the frames mounted to the trailer, options for finished roof systems, and however much or little you want finished. For instance...about $18,000 can get you WELL under way of having your cabin started....a good option for those with little structural building experience.
Amish barn raiser example
Amish barn raiser example

smallworks
# Posted: 30 Aug 2014 11:44

Quoting: TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 28 Aug 2014 09:00
Reply Quote

Super pricey for the square footage. There is a documentary on Netflix about a young man that built his own small cabin on a trailer. It is called TINY : http://tinyhousetalk.com/tiny-the-movie/

Trailers are not considered permanent, but some areas don't allow them or may only allow them for a short time. In some areas they fly under the radar, but if they gain anymore in popularity you can bet they will be taxed somehow...

TheCabinCalls, I agree. I was shocked by the cost of some of these, (a few years ago ) though the idea's sweet and efficient. If they're being designed by architects, you'll have to pay for that- having said that, it seems most Forum members here are able to do just about anything, and have the passion and kindness to share their knowledge.
This is a wonderful forum.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.