Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / sealing red cedar
laudy
# Posted: 5 Sep 2014 12:43

I am almost finished installing eastern red cedar on the INSIDE of my new cabin. Would like to seal it without changing the color of it. Does anyone have recommendations or advise on what product they used. The ceiling is tongue and groove flat and the walls are 1/4 log tongue and groove. All red cedar. I really don't want to add a shine or gloss to the cedar.
Thanks in advance
Laudy

Don_P
# Posted: 6 Sep 2014 10:02 - Edited by: Don_P

I'd get a small quantity of several finishes and see what you like.
Penetrating oils have about the lowest sheen, the least amount of protection and the easiest repair. Finishes like boiled linseed oil, velvit oil, watco. They darken or intensify the grain. With any finish the wood will still mellow in color over time from light and oxygen.

Oil varnishes and polys will amber and darken or intensify the color, have more sheen and better to much better protection from moisture and accumulation of dirt and dust. Exerything from waterlox, varnish, oil based poly.

Water based poly doesn't darken the wood like oils, it comes in satin and gloss. It can be slightly blue to my eye on certain woods.

Lacquer is as close to water white to my eye, if you don't blow yourself up or fry your brain before you're done.

If you want the aroma, cedar closets and chests were left unfinished, sometimes sanded and cedar oiled to refresh. This would get grimy pretty quick in my house. I don't think that would work well for more than a closet or piece of furniture. Our downstairs closet built in shelving is unfinished cedar.

adakseabee
# Posted: 6 Sep 2014 20:32

If all you want is to seal the wood, one coat of shellac is a good choice. After it dries, rub it with 220 grit sandpaper to remove any sheen. Shellac does not darken with age. However, the wood beneath it will most likely darken over time (like most wood species). A second light coat will make it easier to clean the wood if it gets dusty or dirty, but the downside is increased sheen. Both Lowe's and The Home Depot carry 1 quart cans of blonde and orange shellac. You will probably want the blonde variety. Google the word shellac for more info.

brokeneck
# Posted: 8 Sep 2014 18:11

I'd use VARNISH SANDING SEALER

1 coat will give it good protection but shouldn't leave a sheen.

I'd bring some samples of the wood to a Sherwin-Williams and they will apply a sample for you before you decide to buy it.

laudy
# Posted: 12 Sep 2014 13:42

Thanks for all of the replies. I did make my decision. I found a product from Sherwin Williams. It is called wood classics water borne polyurethane. The salesman at the Sherwin Williams store put a sample of it on my eastern red cedar. This stuff is awesome. It dries unbelievably quick. You can sand it 30 minutes. After he put the sample on it was dry to the touch in 10 min. I couldn't believe it. Another fact that I really liked about it was that it did not turn the white portions of the red cedar to a light yellow. It left it the natural white look. This stuff really makes the reds pop and brings out the grain and enhances the knots.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.