Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Scrap material...
Jeremy
# Posted: 10 Sep 2014 11:35

So everyone here seems very crafty, but does anyone want to share ideas for utilizing scrap material from building our cabin? We have a small pile of lumber, osb, and odds and ends from our building progress this summer and would like to waste as little as possible.

VTweekender
# Posted: 10 Sep 2014 13:04

I kept mine as well and made small shelves in the cabin anywhere that a small shelf made sense, also made a couple flower boxes under windows along with fake shutters, a little paint and everything looks great.

bobrok
# Posted: 10 Sep 2014 14:08

Shelves or supports are always in need and a good use for scraps.

My rule of thumb is that as soon as I get rid of something I will need it for a project so I save scrap stuff for years. After a decade or so maybe I'll reassess the need for it vs. the space it takes up.

Just yesterday I used a twisted 2x4, cut it into small pieces and made a 12" X14" table for our water jug w/o having to dip into my stash of straight lengths.

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 Sep 2014 14:19

I use lumber cutoffs mostly for kindling.

bldginsp
# Posted: 10 Sep 2014 14:55

I try as much as possible to save the cutoffs for future use, if I have space to do so. The more little pieces I have, the more I have to choose from for those little, unanticipated jobs that always pop up. But I end up keeping a lot of stuff, and keeping it dry is a trial.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 10 Sep 2014 15:35

Very small and dry pieces are great kindling!

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 10 Sep 2014 17:11

Im like the others on here. I save all those scraps in a corner of my wood shed and have a rough idea what is there. When I have a little project I use from that pile if a piece suits. My wife likes to take pieces of wood and paint on them as well, making neat little signs for the cottage. I have also made bird feeders/houses. It was also a great pile for my son to take from when he was young. He liked to try and make things and he could use any of that wood he wanted.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 10 Sep 2014 20:14

I always try to save scraps and such but usually after about a year or two I get rid of it and then I need it the next day.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Sep 2014 23:50

I had all the scraps in a pile and gave it all to a local resident. He used many pieces of wood and smaller stuff, used for firewood. I burned quite a bit in the wood stove also and still have quite a bit piled under my porch. Otherwise, I have no scraps left. I wanted them out of there.

smallworks
# Posted: 19 Sep 2014 21:19

(In Members Projects & Photos-ADK) I posted a shot of our "freezer" made from scrap wood and left-over insulation. It works for leftovers and beer.
Also burn scrap, but we're hoarders and just like to make stuff. Will probably go with shelves, art etc. Necessity is the mother of invention. Her twins are glory and frustration

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.