Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Bats in the Belfry
nicalisa
# Posted: 12 Sep 2014 13:30

So we are purchasing a new property (across the logging road from our old property Thanks to my lovely parents assistance we are buying a cabin that is 2 stories finished to lock up across the street.

We planned on building our own home on our property, but with health issues still ongoing, we decided that a property to finish and not build from the ground up would be a better choice for us.

So we now have a new little thing to contend with....a few bats in the roof. It seems that they are sneaking in under the metal roof.....I have no issues putting up a bat house, but I really don't want them living in our house!!

Any suggestions for relocation of our fine winged friends???

naturelover66
# Posted: 12 Sep 2014 16:32

Yikes.. Bats creep me out a little...
I would just put up a bat house near the cabin.. And when they vacate board up their entry point..
Congrats on the new cabin and property...!!
Lisa

ColdFlame
# Posted: 12 Sep 2014 17:04

They should all leave at a certain time of day. Give them an extra hour or so, and after you're sure they've all vacated, seal up the hole(s) where they are sneaking in.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 13 Sep 2014 07:23 - Edited by: RichInTheUSA

They leave at dusk.

Do your homework when putting up a bat house. Needs to be facing the right direction, and can't have branches right in front of it. Otherwise they won't come.

http://www.batmanagement.com/Batcentral/batboxes/choosingsite.html

Em Ty
# Posted: 13 Sep 2014 10:14

From the Toronto Star:

Hello, Bryan. I was wondering if you have any experience with getting rid of bats? I've done a lot of reading on the Internet and was wondering if you could share any ideas, particularly the funnel or cone at the entry/exit point of where bats go in and come out, and filling any small gaps. I got a new metal roof last year but I've seen the bats come out at a peak of my two-storey brick, which is just below the roof.

Tony M., Petawawa, Ont.

Well Tony, feel free to remove the bats and bring them to the set of House of Bryan 3 because we're in the forest and we have a ton of mosquitoes. Bats are great; they eat bugs and typically go out at dusk — they'll leave the attic space and head out hunting. But there's a lot of different ways to get rid of them.
If you're willing to put in a little elbow grease you can certainly come up with a solution yourself, but it'll entail sealing pretty much all the little gaps and entrance points into your attic. Bats can get into a gap as small as a ¼ inch by 1/4 inch — they're like flying mice. You'll want to seal all those up except for one, and wait for a day so you can see all the bats go out. Then get out there about a half hour after the sun's down and seal that final hole up. When they return, they won't be able to get back in and they'll find a new place to live.
The funnel or cone is a one-way exit technique. A lot of pest control companies can do stuff like that as well. They'll come in, find typical exit and entry points for bats, and slowly seal those up so the bats can get out but can't return.
It can be a little tougher if they get underneath the metal roof, because there are so many nooks and crannies for them to hide in, but it can be done. If you feel like you're losing the battle, you can call a wildlife control company. They'll entice the bats to leave and find a more suitable home.

URL

beachman
# Posted: 13 Sep 2014 20:00

A long time ago, we had bats in our camp until our cat climbed up on the roof. She waited until they returned and killed every one of them. They have not come back. But now due to the white nose fungus, I wish I had them back. Too many mosquitoes and sand fleas. They are pretty scarce in our area now.

old243
# Posted: 14 Sep 2014 09:44

We have quite a lot of them at our hunt camp. Our camp is metal clad , so I guess there is lots of spaces under the steel. We are not far from a creek , in the bush . At times there are lots of bugs. If they aren't bothering you a whole lot , I would let them be and be glad they are there . In time you will get used to them, and have a lot less bugs and mosquitoes. old 243

nicalisa
# Posted: 16 Sep 2014 11:39

thanks all
I am going to leave them be. It is a metal clad roof so short of changing the roof to the new design which is bat proof, I think that they are there to stay. We have decided to install better screens to keep them on the outside and live with our little winged friends. My husband is convinced that there is only 1 bat in our area and he has named him Billy so when he comes out at dusk he smiles and lets me know that billy is flying around eating our bugs.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 16 Sep 2014 19:21

I had a guy come out to our house once to remove a raccoon. He also removes bats and he had this device that was basically a plastic tube with a flange on it that he nailed up to any holes. Bats can fly out but they cannot make their way back UP the tube. It's nailed on at a 45 degree angle. Plug up all but a couple places and put those tubes on. Thought that was interesting. Found these on ebay...sort like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIRD-BARRIER-N8-PC15-Bat-Removal-Cone-2-lb-PK-6-G6125217-/221 548859113?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3395574ee9

creeky
# Posted: 17 Sep 2014 16:43

I spent a few nights last spring getting the bats out of my attic.

I sealed all the holes with spray foam. Took me awhile to realize that that post about the 1/4" thing was right. In the end if it even looked like a crack I was filling it.

I have gable vents, so I took the vents out just before dark. They would fly out and then, getting up around 2 a.m. I'd put the vents back on. Took awhile but it worked.

Been meaning to build some bat houses. Maybe this winter.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.