Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Hi all, glad I found this site!
Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 04:36

I just bought some remote land in Oregon and am making plans for an off-the-grid cabin to live there year-round. I live in Texas now. Hate the heat.

Planning on solar power with a wind turbine to help charge the batteries, wood stove, solar fridge, solar incinerating toilet, and gray water system. The cabin will be 14X20 with one loft.

So much to do and so many questions! Are there any Oregonians here? Wow, the DEQ regs can be a bummer when you're just trying to build a small place. I understand the need to keep the state beautiful but wow. Heh, Texas is the other extreme -- they're fracking the heck out of the land near where I live!

I'm looking forward to chatting with everyone!
Julie

SandyR
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 09:07

I am also going to go with wind ( and solar ) power as we are up in the hills. I heard not to put the turbine on the roof because you will hear it nonstop.

I am in NY.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 09:13

Welcome to the forum ~~looking forward to seeing your cabin build here on the site. Make sure U take lots of pic's

ps--the rules and regs are a bummer when building for sure -that's why I went under the radar with both my cabin builds.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 11:08

Welcome Julie! Best of luck with your project and post some pics when you can.

Nirky
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 14:00

Sounds like with your homesteading you will have a lot on your plate. This gentleman on YouTube is also homesteading in the Pacific Northwest, you might find some relevant & helpful information on his YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMIjEnXruVHtvgSVf6TgfUg
Welcome to the forum!

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 14:44

welcome Julie.we got cheap land in southern oregon ourselves.we have had it for 15 yrs now.
we built a little cabin off the grid.
i am from Texas too.
40 plus years ago i left Texas to be in Oregon.
we live up in Portland,oregon.
the first year i was here i was like.hm.rainy.
the second year...says i-another rainy year.
yr 3 to 10.depression.
now i cozy in with the best of them with the rain.
in southern oregon .more sunny days and not hardly any rain where our cabin it.
welcome to the forum.

hattie
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 16:32

Welcome to the forum Julie2Oregon! Good luck with your build. Keep us updated with your progress. It sounds like an exciting project!!!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 22:33

Welcome Julie. Good luck with your build. I hope you fill us in along your way.

Owen from MN

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 1 Oct 2014 00:32

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I won't be heading to Oregon until late spring and will likely rent a small apartment while I get everything going with building. Here's a pic of my land, though. The former owners cleared a home site and second area which is perfect for the chicken house and such I'm planning.

Cabingal3, it sounds like we're going to be in the same area. My land is on Bly Mountain. I wanted elevation for cooler temps and more sunshine/wind for my solar/turbine. Oh, and snow. I like snow, heh.

My cabin builder was so funny when I first talked with him. He asked are we going legal or off-the-radar, lol? He said he's cool with either. But my land contract says I'll build legally and I'm not pushing it. I don't like looking over my shoulder. This county is pretty cool to work with, according to my builder and everyone I've spoken to. And so far, so good -- they've been helpful.

The only thing I WILL dig in my heels on is putting in a big ole honking septic system. I will be using a solar incinerating toilet with two-stage tanks and I want to use a 10-stage graywater filtering tank system, too. That should be WAY sufficient for a 280 sq. ft. cabin and one bedroom place with minimal water usage. These units are approved in other countries, including Canada, in place of a septic system. I don't want a section of my land taken up by a leech field, grrr. It would be a different story if I was building a bigger home for several people.
Lot5.jpg
Lot5.jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Oct 2014 04:36 - Edited by: cabingal3

Julie2Oregon
good luck on your trip to Oregon.that will be exciting.
sounds like alot of wonderful plans u have.
the septic system sounds wonderful.
u are so lucky your land has a place cleared off by the previous owner.
cheap land here in Oregon.not up in the Portland area.up here its insane.
we are trying to buy up land on each side of us.
we are retiring to our woods in April.
we have lots to do out there.that will keep the old blood going for sure.
good luck.cant wait to see more pic.
my hubbys boss has some property where u live.
thanks for the pictures.what great land!
we are up near Crater lake...mt.scott.almost 5000 feet up!

hattie
# Posted: 1 Oct 2014 13:35

Julie2Oregon: Your land looks absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to follow this thread as your build begins!!!

Anna
# Posted: 1 Oct 2014 18:48

Julie2Oregon, make sure your start your topic under "Member's Projects and Photos" so people know to look there rather than in "general"

Can't wait to see it and Welcome!

Anna

beachman
# Posted: 1 Oct 2014 19:27

From what I have read here and in other places, I would steer clear of the incinerator toilet in favor of a low-water composting system (assuming you can fit the whole unit inside for year-round use) IMO. Incinerator toilets require much energy and have a "hum" factor when burning. Solar is great and lots of good info here and on the web.

Gary O
# Posted: 1 Oct 2014 20:45

Welcome to Oregon.

I hope you find water on that mountain before you do too much.
That area is not known for a high water table.....

Wishing you all the best

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 15 Jan 2015 20:35 - Edited by: BadgersHollow

Oregonian too, base of Mount Scott near Crater Lake like Gary and Cabingal I think. We are on the dry side of the Cascades. I looked over by Bly and all the way up to the Sycan. Water is a commodity here, so I found a parcel on a creek.
image.jpg
image.jpg

neb
# Posted: 15 Jan 2015 21:34

Welcome! How big is that ranch?

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 20:53

Oh, that's gorgeous, BadgersHollow!!!!! Yeah, no creeks near me but they let you use a cistern and don't make you drill a well. I'm going to have water delivered for the time being and then explore the well option. I won't be using much water so delivery just might make the most sense even for the long term, I don't know.

Thanks, neb, my land is about 2.5 acres. It abuts BLM land on the back border.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 20:56

Oh, and I'm going to do rain catchment. Snow, too! That will help some. The area has been in a drought but that seems to be easing up. This winter has seen a vast improvement over last year, from what I've read.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 22:53

We've had a fair amount of rain but NO snow. It will be a blazing scorcher of a summer if we don't get some snow pack. I almost bought a parcel on Yaak lane on Bly mountain before I bought my plot. Big trees, good rock, good views...the water was my concern but now that I've had my land for a bit I can see how delivery or hauling would be fine.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.