Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / What do you do with your fire wood?
morock
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 19:40

My question is in regard to some weird bugs/worms I'm finding in the cabin. I will try to post some pictures next week. Does anyone bring fire wood inside and leave it? I'm thinking you should only bring it inside when you need to burn it to prevent the importation of bugs to the cabin. I've never really had a wood stove before so this new to me. Anyone?

bldginsp
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 19:42

Probably a regional issue. Where you located, generally?

MtnDon
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 20:18

We leave most of it outside. WEe do have a ready use box inside but it only holds a weekends worth of wood, as measured in the dead of winter. Have never had a bug problem inside the cabin.

morock
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 21:05

I'm in eastern Ontario and I too have trunk full of emergency wood, that basically never gets used. It's there "just in case". I discovery a very fine saw dust under the trunk when I moved it, and sprayed a little ant spray on it. Next trip found 3 or 4 worm like bugs dead around it. So then I sprayed inside and got what looks like a bunch of miniature beetles. This is all very strange since that wood has been in the trunk for 3 years and no problems till now.

Malamute
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 21:40

I keep wood stacked on the edge of the porch, maybe a weeks worth. its out of most of the weather, but easy to get to. I only bring in what I use at the time, it goes right in the woodstove.

I keep it about waist high or a bit higher when stacking it, its a little low in this pic.

Don_P
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 22:51 - Edited by: Don_P

We do the same. Ideally the bugs should wake from a frozen stupor inside the woodstove... but I've had a remnant of last winter's stack on the back porch all summer. We bring firewood inside and directly to the stove. Small clean kindling lives inside.
Ontario, that sounds like powderpost beetles. Firewood is an excellent way of importing wood eating insects home for dinner. I just finished working on a house where they store firewood in the basement year round. We replaced a lot of wood.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 1 Oct 2014 10:52

Quoting: MtnDon
We leave most of it outside. WEe do have a ready use box inside but it only holds a weekends worth of wood, as measured in the dead of winter. Have never had a bug problem inside the cabin.

That's how we play it. No issues so far.

06FordFX4
# Posted: 1 Oct 2014 13:48

We bring about 2 weeks worth into our crawlspace for the times we can't get to the shed due to a major snow storm. Other than that its in the shed outside, and a days worth in a rack beside the stove.

Never any issues with bugs yet, I'd guess its an regional issue, or wood type

morock
# Posted: 1 Oct 2014 18:58

Don_P - I think you called it "powder post beetle" will do some more research but I better get varnishing.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.