Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Kids bed ideas
MO Cabin
# Posted: 21 Oct 2014 20:32

When I planned our cabin 9 years ago I did not plan for children beds. Now we have 2 young children and very little space in our bed room to add beds. I am looking for little space saving ideas when it comes to beds. I am thinking of something that folds out from the wall, but I am open to any suggestions.

bldginsp
# Posted: 21 Oct 2014 21:27

There's a woodworking supply house called Rockler that has Murphy bed hardware, and if you google around you'll find other Murphy hardware available.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 Oct 2014 21:33

How about bunks with a ladder. Kids wil be fighting to sleep on the top bunk. I did it, but for adults too, they are 6'4" long, little less that twin bed in width. First one is 12" of the ground, then each has exactly 28" of space. (full 8 foot walls)
cabin4.jpg
cabin4.jpg

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 22 Oct 2014 02:47

Day bed with a trundle bed that slides out from underneath? The daybed can double as sitting space during the daytime.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 22 Oct 2014 13:46

You might also get ideas by wandering through a RV lot (watch out for the plaid suited guys). It's amazing the amenities that RV's fit into a tiny space.

SandyR
# Posted: 22 Oct 2014 16:12

I put my two boys in bunks when they were 2 and 3 years old. You can make the beds narrow for them too because they are so little.

MO Cabin
# Posted: 22 Oct 2014 19:18

What did you use for the mattresses

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 22 Oct 2014 21:52

Quoting: MO Cabin
What did you use for the mattresses

Gel foam mattresses from a hospital. Got 4 of them. Just cut the foam narrower, folded the cover up, taped it in place (underside) and done.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 23 Oct 2014 01:16 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

image.jpg
image.jpg

Pookie129
# Posted: 23 Oct 2014 04:56

Now that is a great little set up....

RiverCabin
# Posted: 23 Oct 2014 09:32 - Edited by: RiverCabin

Hello Fellow Missouri Cabin Owner!

Sadly I don't have pictures of the beds as they are new to the cabin but I will try to explain.

Like you, My wife and I have two kids. For the past couple years we have used cots but now I have built them beds. Basically, I built two boxes 7.5 ft x 3.5 ft. and roughly 6 inches deep. In those we used gel/memory foam matresses about 4.5 inches thick (look on overstock, amazon or ebay). I then installed a cross board at the end of the matress and elastic cord over that additional space for linen storage. These boxed are hinged on the side to the floor. When its bedtime, we unlatch them and pivot them to the floor. When bedtime is over, you can raise them and they have hooks to stay upright. In the upright position, you only lose six inches x fifteen feet of floorspace. Note, these are not suspended, in the lowered position they are flat on the floor.

The benefit of this design is that I lose negligible space when in the stowed/upright position. The main drawback is that at bedtime and in the morning, you always have to move furniture. That isn't a burden on us as our cabin is furnished with light camp type furniture but if you had to move heavy items, it could be a pain.

MO Cabin
# Posted: 23 Oct 2014 20:24

River cabin, that is more like i was thinking. The only thing I want to do different is hve the beds off the floor, 18-24 inches. We get the occasional mouse in our cabin, and I dont want to get to our place one night and have our daugher feak out beacse of she found a mouse in her bed. I am thinking to that i will either hav

MO Cabin
# Posted: 23 Oct 2014 20:26

E them suspended from the wall or the bed will have legs that fold out. I really lime the use of memory foam.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.