Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / warming water pump
jrbarnard
# Posted: 19 Nov 2014 10:19

Hey guys.. so.. my water pump sits below my cabin. It is a 1hp convertable cast iron pump. Last year, there was water in the housing and it cracked when it froze.

So.. I wanted to semi-enclose the pump (currently it sits on an open wood platform I made to keep it level).

I was thinking of building the walls up to the bottom of the cabin (about 3 ft) and then insulating it and maybe putting in a very small heat lamp that would be able to turn on or off depending on the temp?

Is there anything like that out there you know of?

Any ideas?

The area would be like a 3ft cube, so not a lot of space... so a small lamp would work.

Only gets in the 20's-ish out there on a "bad" day... so not real real cold.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Russ

MtnDon
# Posted: 19 Nov 2014 10:26

I'd consider a heat tape with a thermostat built in over a light bulb.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 19 Nov 2014 10:27

Actually... I have 2 of those at the ranch now, was going to run them down the PVC to the main tank. Just wrap it with the tape, you think that would be ok?

Thanks Mnt!

Russ

MtnDon
# Posted: 19 Nov 2014 10:31 - Edited by: MtnDon

It worked well enough for a friend a few years back. I like having the thermostat as then there's no on-off switch to forget about.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 19 Nov 2014 10:34

Excellent.. tyvm

I'll pick up a short one that I can wrap around the housing.

I am debating what to do with the PEX below the cabin. I left plenty of extra PEX for it to expand.. but I feel like it should be wrapped or something, not sure.

R

buzzardroostfarm
# Posted: 19 Nov 2014 12:21

There is a thermocube that turns on and off due to the temperature.

Just
# Posted: 19 Nov 2014 13:02

TWO 25 watt light bulbs suspended above the pump in a insulated box , if one burns out the second should get you through . about 12 cents a day

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 19 Nov 2014 15:12

I have a fiberglass rock /factory sprayed with a thin layer of insulation for my pump house. I have a 75 watt bulb in there. Got down to 19 deg here last night.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.