Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Farm Pond Standpipe
JDPugh
# Posted: 19 Nov 2014 16:39 - Edited by: JDPugh

I have a 67 acre farm about 2-1/2 hours from where I live. I usually make the trip down around thanksgiving and crack open the drain on the pond standpipe so that a small amount of water runs just to be sure it does not freeze and burst. My wife's health is bad and I had no one to stay with her so I could run down and crack it open. So it did not get cracked open before this record setting cold snap. I have someone to help me for a day so I am going to run down and check on it this weekend.

The standpipe is broken off at the lake bottom so there is no vertical stack and that end is under 12' of water. There is about 6' sticking out of the backside of the dam with a 4" ball valve on the end. I would think that if it did freeze, the ice would follow the path of least resistance and expand up the pipe rather than burst but maybe not. Anyone have experience with this ??

Don_P
# Posted: 19 Nov 2014 21:57

Usually it cannot expand up the pipe after the frozen slug begins to expand. If it is split I think I'd try to slide the next smaller pipe inside that one to keep it from leaking inside the dam. That sounds like a cold wet job, I hope it made it through.

Just
# Posted: 19 Nov 2014 22:17

went to my cabin tonight the kettle was frozen solid - 10 cel. here last night . hope you fare a little better ,good luck..

JDPugh
# Posted: 21 Nov 2014 02:07 - Edited by: JDPugh

No leaks.....twin daughters decided to take afternoon off and spend with their mom so I took off down to farm. No leaks so I cracked the ball valve open a bit which should take care of things for winter.

Last year I went to check on it but as I walked over the rise and expected to see the pond water....something just did not look right. Then I realized that it was almost totally drained. The original owner had drilled and threaded a hole in a pipe cap and installed a hose bib to open and close. I guess it rusted out because it was gone and the pond was drained down as far as it would drain.

It's full again now but this pond and I have a history !!!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.