Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Did some carving at the cabin
. 1 . 2 . >>
neb
# Posted: 21 Dec 2014 14:42 - Edited by: neb

Thought I would share another carving I have started. This one will be charity. I brought it home to finish it up have a lot of fine tuning left to do. What are your hobby's at the cabin?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 Dec 2014 16:16

Looks good, high cheek bones just like Elizabeth Warren too.

I'd like to make a big black bear carving standing on his back legs for my porch. Be so cool.

neb
# Posted: 21 Dec 2014 17:12

toyota_mdt_tech >>I have done a little of chain saw carving. It really isn't that hard to do. There is some YouTube video of have to start and finish. The pros use a special bar to do there carving but I used a regular bar and it worked. Give it try.

Just
# Posted: 21 Dec 2014 17:34

Nice work Neb , if I tried that all I would get is fire wood .

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 21 Dec 2014 18:10

looks great NEB~~~
what kind of wood is it??

neb
# Posted: 21 Dec 2014 18:20

It is cottonwood I pick up on the river. I haven't done any carving for almost a year so thought I better start something again. Thanks for all the kind words.

SandyR
# Posted: 21 Dec 2014 18:37

It's great!

My hobbies would be relaxing I sit in my lawn chair and look out over the hills and valleys.

SandyR
# Posted: 21 Dec 2014 18:41

Oh, I forgot to add that I also love riding my 5 wheeler that I named Irene. I once put on 50 miles in a weekend. I am in love with her!

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 23 Dec 2014 09:07

Awesome work Neb! I love the detail in the carving. I would imagine you could use your hobby to support yourself (if you are not already doing it).

Hobbies at my cabin...

* Bushogging existing trails to keep them walkable. Making new trails. I know this is work, but it's also a lot of fun driving the tractor!

* Photography/Video: Animal watching with game cameras. I love seeing all the critters.

* Hunting/fishing... Hoping I get a fly fishing rod for Christmas.

* Creeking... yep, walking in and up the creeks. A whole different experience from walking next to a creek.

* Swimming... One of our creeks has a large swimmin' hole, 3.5 to 4 feet deep... just right.

* Target & trap shooting. I have a WW2 surplus bullet catcher to use as a target for up to .45 cal. I also throw clays. I hope to make a dedicated shooting area this summer.

As you all know... there's an endless amount of work and improvements to be done at the cabin... I try to balance this with just enjoying God's creations and the beauty of the land.

neb
# Posted: 23 Dec 2014 21:26

Quoting: RichInTheUSA
I try to balance this with just enjoying God's creations and the beauty of the land.

Yes we all need to stop and enjoy the outdoors and all the wonderful things that many don't get to experience.

I'm like you when I go to the cabin the work that needs to be done isn't work to me. It is relaxing and finding the balance is what it is all about.

neb
# Posted: 23 Dec 2014 21:34 - Edited by: neb

I decided it was finished. I really have no plan when I start I just start and the carving takes me to a finish. I just oiled this one and will see how it turns out. I have never sold one but have had many people ask me if I would. Not sure I want it to be a job then the fun would be gone. Someday I will try it selling one to see what would happen.

rmak
# Posted: 24 Dec 2014 10:27

Hi Neb!
Very nice carving. I'm an artist as well and did a lot of wood and stone carving before my hands went bad with arthritis. I'm interested in the expressions you chose. I sense some sadness and longing. Is that intentional?

neb
# Posted: 24 Dec 2014 14:27

No. I just carve but if you ever studied Native American pictures have you ever seen one smile? If you find a picture share it with me.

My work is far from perfect and just like to use my imagination and go. No pictures just an idea image and go. I never know where it will go when I start.

I've done a mountain lion, bobcat and wolf and a few mountain men. It is all crude and rough carving nothing fancy and very amateur at best.

rmak
# Posted: 24 Dec 2014 18:11

Not amateurish at all! It's very beautiful work. Rich folks call this folk art, and collect it. Keep carving.

...and you're right. I've never seen a photo of an early Native American laughing or any expression except serious. That includes women.

neb
# Posted: 24 Dec 2014 18:27

rmak >>
Would love to see some of your work. As far as expression with mouth and eyes that would come with a lot more carving then what I have done. I would need a lot more work. Thanks

naturelover66
# Posted: 25 Dec 2014 12:47

Beautiful carving Neb. I love it.

Malamute
# Posted: 26 Dec 2014 11:27

Nice work Neb. You have a good hand and eye.

Agnes smiles.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_815527ut0cI/TJu3KLDhKII/AAAAAAAAAQ8/LV74puyoJTI/s1600/PICT0 062.

http://i.imgur.com/ddJJegb.png

neb
# Posted: 26 Dec 2014 17:10 - Edited by: neb

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Malamute >>Well I guess you found a few pictures and thanks. LOL

Here is one more picture before it is gone.

Malamute
# Posted: 26 Dec 2014 21:04

I knew what to look for, I'd seen pics of Agnes before. Messageing her husband Chip, I'd seen some of them, and theyve been floating around the net after the TV show came out they were on.

There was one pic of Agnes with an enormous brown bear she shot. She was simling in that one too. They are subsistance hunters in far NW Alaska. Agnes' side of the family is Inupiat I believe.

neb
# Posted: 26 Dec 2014 22:18 - Edited by: neb

Malamute >>>Thanks that was good. Not sure if I get that TV show. How has life been treating you and always enjoy your posts and replies.

I did a search and I will be watching if I remember. Very interesting life they lead.

Steve_S
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 08:58

Neb, you have a great talent & produce beautiful, thanks for sharing it with us. Now stop downplaying your ability and minimizing what you make... "My work is far from perfect and just like to use my imagination and go"...

I have the imagination to visualize things but not the ability to render such a beautiful result, you sir have a gift.

moregon
# Posted: 12 Mar 2015 13:16

Well......When I get to the cabin I will continue my hobbies of baking and painting rocks! See photos.....

BTW: You are very talented!
Grandmas Spicey Cookies
Grandmas Spicey Cookies
White and Choco Cake
White and Choco Cake
GHO
GHO
SO
SO

neb
# Posted: 12 Mar 2015 22:21

moregon >>> Those are very nice. Great job!!

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 12 Mar 2015 22:35 - Edited by: BadgersHollow

Neb, Do you sell them, they are fantastic.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 13 Mar 2015 05:48

Have you ever been to the woodcarvers festival in Ridgeway PA. ? Your carvings would fit right in there. Although I guess they do most of their carving with chainsaw at the beginning before finishing up with smaller tools.

neb
# Posted: 13 Mar 2015 08:48 - Edited by: neb

BadgersHollow >>>I really don't sell them but have had a lot of people that want to buy. I have done some for charity groups for a money maker for their groups.

Shadyacres >>> I haven't been there or any woodcarving festival. Mine are all hand carved with home made tools and some bought gouges. I use no electric tools or a chain saw etc. One chip at a time.

Thanks

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 13 Mar 2015 08:56

Neb---very fine carving my friend!!!

neb
# Posted: 25 Sep 2015 15:52 - Edited by: neb

I want to share a few more carving I have done. I will be having a charity group come and pick the one they want to auction off. After looking at the post I need to take better pictures I see. Lol

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 25 Sep 2015 16:12

awesome work my friend!!!!

neb
# Posted: 25 Sep 2015 16:25

TH>>I have been doing a lot of hunting with little success so far. I walked in about 2 miles this morning in the dark and had just a few does come by. Going to cabin tonight to sit and take in the sunset and maybe see a deer or two. How's hunting going with you my friend.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.