Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / January Thaw
rmak
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 18:00

Forty something degrees after weeks of cold. Beautiful day all the way around. Took this picture when I started trekking back home.
SubstandardFullSizeR.jpg
SubstandardFullSizeR.jpg

SandyR
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 18:08

Yes, yesterday and today made me think that this is what it must be like to live way up north and have a heat wave where everyone comes out and sees each other. Last Wednesday was -16 here.

Wilbour
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 18:57

Just for clarity when people mention degrees we will assume it's Fahrenheit. Because -16 Celsius is chilly but nothing to write home about.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 20:19

been raining here the last 2 weeks or so...sun came out yesterday and today....blue skies and temps close to 60...I am ready for spring!!!!

naturelover66
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 21:21

60 degrees is t shirt and shorts weather up here TH ��

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 18 Jan 2015 09:35

Quoting: naturelover66
60 degrees is t shirt and shorts weather up here TH ��

OK~~~ I have on my jeans and my LLbean flannel shirt....and flip flops....lol...still cool in the mornings...

ps--love how the days are getting longer ...almost 6:30pm before it got dark yesterday.

rmak
# Posted: 18 Jan 2015 10:44

Quoting: Wilbour
Just for clarity when people mention degrees we will assume it's Fahrenheit. Because -16 Celsius is chilly but nothing to write home about.

Yeah, sometimes US folks forget that we haven't convinced the rest of the world to dump the metric system yet. Building things using inches, feet, yards and pounds is sooo much easier!

old243
# Posted: 18 Jan 2015 11:53

I was educated before the metric system came in. I still think in inches , feet and miles, I used metric at work so no problem converting. As far as temperature my thermometer reads both but I look at the farenheit. . My truck gives me litres per 100 km as far as milage , so I really have little idea what kind of milage I am getting It also reads miles per US gallon so this is also confusing as I think in imperial gallons. I just fill the tank up, and drive it. Today is the first mild day we have had for a week or so . A few nights we had to bring our brass monkey inside, didn't want his balls froze off. Enjoy the mild spell. old 243

Wilbour
# Posted: 18 Jan 2015 20:59

Was at camp today to do some work. It was 3' C outside but 11'C inside thanks to my little buddy heater.

TomSmith
# Posted: 19 Jan 2015 08:19 - Edited by: TomSmith

I don't know how y'all stand it. I live in central Florida and was raised in southeast Georgia. I can hardly function below 50F. Snow is not an option.

ladyslipper
# Posted: 20 Jan 2015 15:13

Here is a picture of an ice dam near our camp in Nova Scotia. We have had several evenings of -25C temperatures and frankly I'm surprised that the river is still opened past the ice. It was -18C in our camp the other day when we got there. BRRRRR!
IMG_20150120_133841..jpg
IMG_20150120_133841..jpg

TomSmith
# Posted: 20 Jan 2015 16:22 - Edited by: TomSmith

Ice should only be in tea or bourbon. I didn't know thermometers were made that went that low.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 21 Jan 2015 08:57

Quoting: TomSmith
Ice should only be in tea or bourbon. I didn't know thermometers were made that went that low.

I hear ya!!!! like my ice in sweet tea!!! or fireball!!!

almost hit 70 deg here yesterday!!! it has been awesome past 4 days of beautiful weather...but rain and possible winter mix by Monday

elgorr
# Posted: 23 Jan 2015 21:05

The thaw didn't do much good for the Maine skiing though! Everything iced up into a boilerplate so it was hard to enjoy the 35 degree temps when your edges could barely grip and most of the mountain was shut down due to dangerous conditions.

Pookie129
# Posted: 23 Jan 2015 21:58

Yeah, this has not been a very snowy or winter sport friendly season.. for some of us anyway...

old243
# Posted: 24 Jan 2015 09:16

Going to the bush to cut wood today. There is a foot to 18 inches of snow on the level, so had to blow a road to the bush . about 20 f here. At least there are no mosquitoes. Dress warm , need wood for next winter. I am lucky , my son does most of the bush whacking, I am just his helper. old243

rmak
# Posted: 24 Jan 2015 11:13

Quoting: old243
At least there are no mosquitoes

You're a cup half full kind of guy, aren't you.

neb
# Posted: 24 Jan 2015 20:34

It has been a good January here. Many days in the 30's and 40's. I went to the cabin today and had a nice fire going and took a walk. Here is a picture of an old cabin on my land. There is hardly any snow here.

old243
# Posted: 26 Jan 2015 09:08

rmak,I try to always keep a positive attitude. Doesn't always work, but most times . A half full glass usually means that you have enjoyed the top half. Now you can enjoy the bottom half.

Our wood cutting went well the other day , have almost enough for next winter. Also was able to enjoy a day in the bush , with my son. old243

rmak
# Posted: 29 Jan 2015 11:16

Yeah, Old243. I was complimenting you. Being a "glass half full" kind of person means you always look at the positive and good. An optimist. That's you. I got a laugh out of chopping wood in the cold and being happy you didn't have to put up with mosquitoes.

If you have a son who helps chop wood you should be happy. I have three and they don't like that chore.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.