Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Flooring Ideas
<< . 1 . 2 .
innastalin
# Posted: 22 May 2015 06:15

I think laminating the flooring is good, specially the wood color floor lamination looks more nice. As it is smooth and easy to clean. You may also try a carpet on it, in order to maintain the floors for a longer time.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 12 Jun 2015 22:38 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Linoleum. Google Forbo for more ideas.

http://www.homedesignfind.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/marmoleum-natural-linoleum-2 .jpg

http://p-fst2.pixstatic.com/5069ece574c5b64afe00080d._w.1500_s.fit_.jpg

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 13 Jun 2015 06:28 - Edited by: Julie2Oregon

I have reprised. I've decided to go with bamboo. Specifically this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-Strand-Woven-Harvest-3-8-in-Thi ck-x-4-92-in-Wide-x-36-1-4-in-Length-Solid-Bamboo-Flooring-24-76-sq-ft-case-HL271S/20 5124730

I'll still be doing vinyl in the kitchen area and bathroom, though.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 13 Nov 2015 00:25 - Edited by: KinAlberta

That look great. Are you putting down any kind of underlay? I've seen some dimpled plastic underlay that might allow water spills (or melting snow off boots, dogs, etc.) to drain away from the wood flooring and basically evaporate away.

My biggest problem is figuring out what might go with amber coloured knotty pine and yellowed maple cabinetry.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 13 Nov 2015 03:27

Hi KinAlberta!
I'm not sure if you were commenting on my bamboo link but, if you were, some folks recommend installing it with this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Elastilon-Strong-3-281-ft-Wide-x-32-81-ft-Long-Self-Adhesi ve-Hardwood-Floor-Install-System-covering-107-64-sq-ft-Strong/203144804

It's an adhesive and more. I haven't decided yet if I'll use it but I'm leaning toward it. Apparently, once you get the hang of it, it makes installation much easier, it really secures the hardwood planks for a tight fit, it deadens sound, etc. I think it would provide a barrier. Rather pricey, though.

Under the bamboo flooring reviews, the folks who installed the flooring using a nail gun and felt underlay also reported good results. So I'm going to talk to people and take it all under advisement.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 13 Nov 2015 03:57

As for snowy boots, spills, etc., even in my current home, I have a good grade of vinyl in my entranceways, kitchen, laundry room, and bathrooms. Parquet floor in my living room and dining room. It's worked out really well so I'll do the same in my cabin. The parquet flooring I bought and my son installed wasn't the best quality but I've been impressed with how well it's held up, even with 3 dogs! This bamboo flooring looks to be a lot more durable.

The only thing that will be different is that I have carpeting in my bedrooms in my house and I won't carpet my loft bedroom in the cabin. Just a throw rug near my bed. I won't go to the expense of bamboo up there so I'm not quite sure yet what I'll put down. Maybe laminate since it won't be a high-traffic/high-profile area and laminate prices are crazy-low these days.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 13 Nov 2015 17:49 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

We changed our minds on the cork flooring. Saw it in person and from the price was not impressed.

Decided on the porcelain wood look tiles at HD for the mud room and bathroom. We designed our cabin to have a mud room at the back door that leads into the bathroom. So if the outhouse is in use one can come inside and use the facilities without removing shoes.

The remainder of the cabin will be the same flooring we used in the loft. Wide plank white cedar. It is indigenous to our area. A farmer we know in a nearby town cuts it from his acreage and kiln dries it. The price is up to 80 percent less than we would spend Online or at a box store.
HD Porcelain Tile
HD Porcelain Tile
White Cedar Floor in Loft
White Cedar Floor in Loft

Steve_S
# Posted: 13 Nov 2015 19:05

Magz and I went up to a Mill and we both fell in love with Red Pine flooring and panelling. The grain & texture is just gorgeous and when finished properly it really pops.

Given that we have a Concrete Slab, that while smooth isn't "pretty" by any means, it's something we have been pondering for finishing touches... We are going to have a lot of wood finish inside (ok mostly all of it) and hope to use contrasting woods for effect. Luckily in our region there is a lot of small mills and even big ones and the selection of local lumber is quite vast...

Beetle Killed Pine with the blue tinge looks pretty good too... might be a tad soft for floor, where Red Pine is harder.

Don_P
# Posted: 13 Nov 2015 19:16

Red, or Norway Pine, pinus resinosa, is our only cousin of european scots pine, pinus sylvestris, they are known as the hard pines. Generally in the same range will be white pine which then becomes, soft pine.

I don't think they can make laminate cheap enough to be called a bargain, there is still the wasted labor to be accounted for. I might be a little biased.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 13 Nov 2015 20:49

Laminate is 69 cents per square foot here. That's really cheap. I'm not lugging hardwood up to and around a loft. Uh-uh. Great likelihood of furniture movement in the loft over time so vinyl won't do.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 13 Nov 2015 23:03 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

I cringe to think about using laminate in our log cabin or anyplace else. But that's just my opinion.

Steve_S
# Posted: 14 Nov 2015 06:28

@Julie2Oregon,
Sure Laminates can be cheap enough BUT "you get what you paid for" applies. Also consider that you still need a subfloor to put that on and so add the cost of 3/4" OSB ($19 per sheet) or Plywood ($35 per sheet) to the cost... + 75Lbs of really awkward weight each, to shift up to the loft or wherever else and lastly that foam that goes between the Laminate & subfloor which is yet another cost. Lastly, the cumulative weight of Laminate which averages 2-3 Lbs each piece.

A-Grade Red Pine around here sells for 1.59 sq foot for 2x6 No need to put it on PW or OSB, pit it straight on the joists... You can even leave as a ceiling for below if joists are exposed. It's also a lot lighter in weight than Oak or Maple.

We priced out the floor for our cabin (420 sq) just to go over the concrete pad (not the storage loft), Grade-A Kiln Dried and Seasoned Red Pine Plank direct from a local commercial mill @ $680 for 1-1/2" X 8" plank and that's mill edged as well. Install it, varnish it and voila ! For the Storage Loft we are consider Grade-B or even Cottage Grade which is much cheaper but no less serviceable.

itsals1
# Posted: 14 Nov 2015 07:26

Steve S
How are you planning to fasten the flooring over the concrete? We are in the same boat, as we have a insulated concrete slab. We currently just put rustoleum basement epoxy on it and it's nice to clean, but not quit like a wood floor.
Thank you
Travis

Steve_S
# Posted: 14 Nov 2015 09:18

We've had a few suggestions about that, some of which, well... I'm less than enthusiastic about...

There is a fellow I'll be seeing in a couple of days that has done what we had been thinking on and he's done 2 floors using 2 methods... 1 with 1/2" PW Sheathing and the pine nailed to that, another with using Construction Adhesive applied to the boards/concrete. PL Construction Glue is seriously tough stuff but my concern would be the expansion / contraction through the seasons which in my climate zone is rather extreme from summer to winter. And I have radiant pex installed so...

A common method is to use 1x6 sleepers on the concrete and allow for some float but that raises the floor 1" + thickness of the pine used. Not in a rush to sort that yet as that will be next summer... Right now I'm off to prep to build the roof, as we have ONE GOOD WEEK per Weather Forecasts before the it's get's nasty.. . so a bit of rush to get the shell closed.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 14 Nov 2015 11:08

Steve_S brings up a great point. The cost of our loft was minimal due to the floor being laid on the joists and being part of the ceiling. The beams were cut from our property.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 15 Nov 2015 03:44

Quoting: Steve_S
A-Grade Red Pine around here sells for 1.59 sq foot for 2x6 No need to put it on PW or OSB, pit it straight on the joists... You can even leave as a ceiling for below if joists are exposed. It's also a lot lighter in weight than Oak or Maple.

Steve_S, That's a great idea! Thanks! I really do like the bamboo for the rest of the cabin but I should see what other native wood might be available that could be used for the loft floor, as you described.

Actually, I would LOVE to have planks from my own trees milled, if that would be possible. A number of them will have to come down anyway, obviously. I've got Ponderosa Pine, some Incense Cedar, and Juniper. Probably some Aspen here and there.

itsals1
# Posted: 15 Nov 2015 06:49

Steve S
Thank you for your response! From your weather forecast I'm trying to determine your location? It sounds similar to our WI weather. Please let us know what you decide on fastening your wood floor next season, we maybe 1-2 years before tackle the floor.

Steve_S
# Posted: 15 Nov 2015 07:15

Itsals1, I'm in North East Ontario Canada.

@Julie, where does that Bamboo come from ? Where is the product made ? Takes a lot of energy to Harvest, Process, Package and ship it overseas and to your door.

Local, Native Woods and products are not only better for the world, your local workers and you & your health, it's sustainable and by far the greenest solution.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.