Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Cabin fever
felineman
# Posted: 24 Jan 2015 22:26

After reading the whole forum I have not seen one post on how you deal with cabin fever. So lets start one

How do you deal with cabin fever, I don't care if its winter summer spring or fall. We all get it that longing to just go to town and explode.

So how do you deal with it?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 24 Jan 2015 22:49

well you go to YOUR cabin...headed down to mine tomorrow ~~~ going to be in the 60's~~~

creeky
# Posted: 25 Jan 2015 08:55

get the heck outside. Doesn't matter. Go for a walk. Chop wood. Move something from one spot to another. Fix something. I need to be active outside.

go visiting. As I had bad cabin fever late Dec / early January: I'm running out of folks! (kidding)

set up a bird feeder. watching those fluffy little buggers at -30 while you're inside the cabin with the wood stove tinging away merrily. suddenly the cabin looks might good. (remember to put marks on your windows so that you don't have to watch 'em crash into the glass ... i use clear silicone, a hand sized zig zag in the middle of the pane, it's an imitation of web decoration used by spiders to warn birds. two on the bigger window)

remember the fever will fade. (mine disappearing curiously coincided with the end of heavy cloud season and the return of the sun).

reward yourself. at one point I got into the habit of taking a glass of schnapps at 4 o'clock. gave me something to look forward to.

rmak
# Posted: 25 Jan 2015 11:26

I remember when I was a motorcyclist I would get a genuine depression as the winter lingered week after week. Looking back it was because my favorite activity relied on sun and clean road conditions.

The advantage of having a cabin is that it's not weather specific, and there's always something to do. It's provided the opportunity to stop in silence and look at thinks, the beauty of snow on trees and, as creeky says, birds puffy from the cold enjoying some sunflower seeds.

Much better than watching the world while racing down a road at 60 mph.

neb
# Posted: 25 Jan 2015 18:27

No cabin fever here either. I do how ever at work because I'm pinned inside more then I want to be. By the end of the week I'm ready to be outside no matter what the weather is like. Went and spent the day at the cabin again today. I cut wood and split then took a long walk. I walk in about 1/2 mile just to get to cabin now because the road is to soft and muddy. Get out and get some sun and the blues go away. Have fun!

old243
# Posted: 28 Jan 2015 11:56

I like to get outside as much as possible. Our weather has been cold , so I seem to spend a lot of time looking out. This week I have been repairing a 40 year old toboggan that my son and daughter had when they were little. It had broken cross slats. have replaced the plastic ones with white ash. I have a 5 year old grandson that plays with it , now it should slide better. Might have a few more good years in it. This might not seem like a very important project , but it is an excuse to get outside and putter around. Keep active. old243

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 28 Jan 2015 12:58

Very limited access to the cabin during the winter and it's really not setup to stay there in the cold.

And yes, it's driving me batty not being there

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 28 Jan 2015 18:14

I spent two weeks last winter at my cabin by myself during the winter. To help avoid cabin fever I got out several times on my cross country skis and snowshoes and just enjoyed nature. The one day, in a big storm I did a 16 km ski trip which was amazing. I'm off grid so I pulled out an old jigsaw puzzle that I worked on for days. Kept me occupied for sure. At the end of the day, as much as I love spending time with family and friends, I do like quiet times away by myself to just re-charge from a stressful job. So I guess I can say I'm lucky enough to not suffer from cabin fever when I'm at the cabin!

ladyslipper
# Posted: 29 Jan 2015 15:12

I started a journal of the camp that I like to update quite frequently. The journal includes everything about the camp including clearing the land and then the steps building the camp. I also add thoughts, observations of birds/wildlife, the temperature and sometimes poetry or prose. I bought the journal at walmart. It has space for photos and a place to write.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.