Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Anyone have any special recipes
ladyslipper
# Posted: 29 Jan 2015 15:08

Does anyone have any special recipes that they enjoy using while at their cabin? I have a brown bread that I love to bake in the wood cook stove. If anyone is interested I can post the recipe. Oh yeah, and it has to be served with baked beans
brown_bread.jpg
brown_bread.jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 29 Jan 2015 15:46

would love to have recipes.thank u ladyslipper.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 29 Jan 2015 17:15

That bread looks really good!! Most of the things that I cook at the cabin don't require a recipe. Eggs, bacon, hash browns, sandwiches, burgers, dogs, Bush's baked beans, mac & cheese, chili, sardines, potato chips, and you get the idea. I'm a lazy cook. At home I eat the most wonderful country cookin that you could imagine. (Thanks to my wife)

Salty Craig

hattie
# Posted: 29 Jan 2015 21:26

I would also like to see the recipe ladyslipper!!

creeky
# Posted: 31 Jan 2015 10:20

Cornbread on the wood stove:
I tried this last night. Easy to make. Tasty to eat.

Ingredients
1/2 cup buttermilk or soured milk (see TIP)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 egg
1 tablespoon honey or sugar or maple syrup (use more, if desired)

3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
I added hot pepper flakes, but you could use anything or nothing.

2 teaspoons oil or butter, for the pan
Container: heavy 8-inch skillet

PREP
Took me about 15 mins for my first try.
COOK
Took about 15 mins on my wood stove. it wasn't real hot.

Put buttermilk or soured milk into a small bowl. Add egg and beat with a fork. Stir in oil and honey.
In another bowl, mix cornmeal, salt and baking soda.
Heat skillet, add 2 teaspoons butter or oil and spread to cover bottom and sides of skillet thoroughly. I used butter oil and beef fat. great with steak.
Add cornmeal mixture to liquids, stir briefly, and pour into hot skillet. Cover.

Check after 6 - 8 minutes. (Mine took 15-20 minutes.) Cornbread has cooked long enough when firm around the edges and center is almost firm. Turn off heat and let stand, covered, for a few minutes. It will continue to cook.
Serve warm.
TIP: To sour milk, add 1 tablespoon vinegar to 1/2 cup milk and let stand for several minutes.
cornbread.jpg
cornbread.jpg

hattie
# Posted: 31 Jan 2015 12:44

That looks really good creeky!! Boy, I give all of you credit who can cook on a woodstove. That must be a real lost art!!

creeky
# Posted: 31 Jan 2015 13:20

thx hattie. does my credit apply to my visa bill?

ahhahahahahaha

actually this was really easy. simple ingredients. quick mixing. and then I just put it on my wood stove. and left it until it appeared to be cooked.

fun for sure. and it was tasty. i used pickle vinegar from some pickles i bought from the amish this summer. maybe that helped.

SandyR
# Posted: 31 Jan 2015 21:46 - Edited by: SandyR

Creeky, you put the bread ON the wood stove and not in it?

creeky
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 08:54

Yup. On the stove. This was a stove top skillet recipe. I would have used the cast iron skillet, but, er, well, um. bachelors and dishes. what can I say.

My wood stove isn't a cooking stove. but the top gets really hot. of course. so I cook on it. this is the first cornmeal thing I've tried and it worked out really well. tho it took twice as long to cook as the recipe indicated.

I also do sous vide cooking. I'll put a bowl of water on the wood stove. Then put my steak in a heavy plastic bag and put it in the water. just like the sous vide cookers. if the stove is really hot I put the pot off to a cooler part of the stove. then when I'm ready for supper I finish the steak on the propane stove to brown on each side and supper is served.

yup. you can cook chicken wings, heat up frozen meals, make soups. It's like a slow cooker I guess.

SandyR
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 09:08

That is really cool. It looks like we may have the same type of stove at the cabin that you do from looking at your picture. Ours gets really really hot too. My husband has burnt the snot out of something on it this fall.
We knew we could reheat on it but now I think my doors have really opened up! Thanks!

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 10:12

well i can share this.something i found out.
my camper stove with the oven similar to a suzy homemaker oven but real..cant brown.
i found out from our neighbors in the woods that u can use the barbeque grill to bake cookies,breads and such.
so i may pull the barbeque grill over closer my kitchen.
has anyone used the barbeque grill for baking cookies and such?
at the cabin i will have several ways to cook.solar,barbeque grill,the camp stove in the kitchen,the wood stove and the camp fire.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 12:00 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

I cook pizza on my grill and bake whitefish wrapped in foil packets to which I add sliced onion,pepper or Old Bay,butter and a splash of white wine.

I have a old family baked bean recipe I will post when I get home from
driving.

Edited to add: I've baked Jiffy corn bread in my iron skillett in the grill. It took a long time because I didn't have a grill with a thermostat at the time. I'm going to try it again this summer.

creeky
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 12:15

that fish idea sounds great. i've got some frozen somethings in the freezer. I'm going to try that.

talk about hybrid technology. cabingal3. that's 5 ways to cook off grid.

I had a friend out last winter who delighted in the deep channel I had dug to my bbq. she liked the bbq shrimp skewers too. but cookies. mmm. i might have to add that to my dessert menu.

cabingal3
# Posted: 2 Feb 2015 05:57

Quoting: creeky
talk about hybrid technology. cabingal3. that's 5 ways to cook off grid.

so one way or another...we will be fine.
thanks for pointing that out creeky!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.