Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / What inspections/permits can I expect and when?
country_roads
# Posted: 29 Jan 2015 17:34

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on here for a little while but this is my first post. Like many here, I started by dreaming of having a property I can afford and live comfortably. I've been reading about the various permits, building codes and costs (and trying to stay excited haha), but seriously, it's nice to see that people do actually get through all the hurdles!

I've been looking online for the past few years but starting this year plan to take it "to the streets", calling a few realtors and taking a few road trips. I'm looking in Ontario and am looking for an acreage (ideally 10+), and hope to build something over a couple years (in those few places that seem to allow you to live on the land while building).

As I'm designing the house myself, I wanted to ask some questions on when I call the inspector and when permits are received.

1) Close on the property
2) Design house
3) *Do I need to get approval from a structural engineer or receive any kind of certifaction/permit for the design of the house?
4) Perc test for septic, determine location, hire contractors
5) Install septic
6) *call Inspector? - pass and get permit?
7) Contractors build foundation
8) I build structure
9) Plumbers do plumbing
10) Electrician does electricity
11) *Inspectors check plumbing, electricity and house? - Receive final "move in" permit?

I'm wondering while building the house, does one call inspectors to check each stage? (Finish the foundation - inspect, finish the framing - inspect, finish the drywall - inspect, etc) - or is it just inspected at the times I indicated above?

Thanks

Just
# Posted: 29 Jan 2015 19:04

in most parts of Ontario you need engineer stamped plans . to get your own plans stamped can be big $$$ to buy a plan as little as 500$ is common . local water management organizations sometimes need to be consulted . sounds like you have a good grasp of the task your local building department will help a lot .
they should after you pay development fees and building permits.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Jan 2015 19:40 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: country_roads
As I'm designing the house myself, I wanted to ask some questions on when I call the inspector and when permits are received.

3) *Do I need to get approval from a structural engineer or receive any kind of certifaction/permit for the design of the house?
4) Perc test for septic, determine location, hire contractors
5) Install septic
6) *call Inspector? - pass and get permit?
7) Contractors build foundation
8) I build structure
9) Plumbers do plumbing
10) Electrician does electricity
11) *Inspectors check plumbing, electricity and house? - Receive final "move in" permit?

#3, not always. If you use basic construction practices and nothing exotic, you should be fine. I bought mine online. It was designed to work in areas with heavier snow loads. I submitted it, they reviewed it, then gave me the go ahead. They penciled in a few items they wanted. Easily done. If you want exotic, or in a area with high wind loads etc, you may have to have it stamped. But they will tell you.

Then a septic permit is going to be required. You may do that first, unless you know it will perk. But the permit wont be issued until you have a septic plan and perc test. They can OK the plans, but it will be on contingency the septic system passes.

The permit will have areas or steps that need to be signed off. The septic, they will want ti in place, gravel at the bottom (all per the OK'd design) they will measure rate of drop, I think rule is 1/4" per foot etc and so many feet of leech field depending opn how many bedrooms. Here, I think its 160 feet for a 3 bedroom. Plan ahead, call for inspector, some rural areas, they only do it on certain days. In my area, it was Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Call in advance. But make sure you will be ready.

Foundation, set the forms in place with rebar, then inspector comes out before cement is poured. He will check sill bolts, vent locations, rebar etc.

Then the build is first, framing inspection. Frame it all, sheet the roof, side it. But do it towards plans. They will sign off on framing, then nailing schedule (right amount of nails at seams and in the field)

Then HVAC, wiring, insulation. But you have wiring and HVAC inspected before insulation. The permit will have the inspections all on them, so you will know when after each step. The permit must be left on the site with a copy of the plans. I put mine in one of those little information boxes like you see at a house for sale nailed to a nearby tree. Once I had a shell, I put it on the side under my porch.

Are you doing the electrical? If so, plan ahead for HVAC if you will need floor ducting. Wires cant touch ducting, so leave them space. If you do the wiring yourself, caution on where you drill holes for wiring. You dont want to compromise a load bearing beam. Drill near the sides or anchor point,s or over a load bearing beam. Drill in the center if you do, not near the top of bottom. Once done, then you can close it in, ie sheetrock etc. They will check nail schedule there too, especially overhead. Will you have an attached garage? If so, 5/8" Sheetrock between the 2 spaces and a fire rated door etc.

Dont be nervous, the inspectors, building department will be very helpful. If you have questions, you can politely ask. Of if he questions something, ask him what he'd like to see. Dont assume you know what it needs.

This is generalizing, there is more details others can add and it can vary from state to state or country to country and even by region, ie northern latitudes, heavier snow loads, more insulation, deeper footings etc.

Good luck. I'd say:

Buy the property, but on the condition it will perk and its legal to build on (no flood plain etc). Once it perks, then get a septic permit, and building permit.

But you may have to apply for a mailing address and then to the planning dept for a "site plan". This is just a penciled aerial view with cabin location in relation to the property and measurements (roughly) of distance to boundary, roads, existing structures or wells etc.

Keep in mind, dont locate the cabin on the lowest point, pick an area where gravity will aid for your drian feild or you have to add a pump and extra pump chamber (Keep it simple) and where will power come in? I can go up to 300 feet from service before a transformer is needed. If its further, the transformer will cost you, but you can go 300 feet more. Where are the utilities located? You will want to be closest to that etc.

OK, others add, make corrections to mine etc.

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Jan 2015 19:49

There can be so many variations in everything, asking a question like that here could get you a lot of incorrect answers. Start with the closest level of government, city, town, village and ask. That may get you a referral to county or state. Whoever the AHJ, authority having jurisdiction, is they should have a hand out that lists everything you can do and must do and the order it's all done .

Much or all of the requirements are available online in many locations.

country_roads
# Posted: 29 Jan 2015 19:53

Thanks a lot everyone - I really appreciate the response. I know that there are specifics at the government levels I was just looking for an overview - which I've gotten.

Thanks again!

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 29 Jan 2015 20:22

We are building in ontario and have had nothing but good experiences with the building department. As an owner builder I did not need a structural engineer for the building I designed. I spoke to the inspector and sent him my drawings, he made comments, I revised and he approved.

We are zoned limited service residential, this reduces the demands to meet all of the building code. We were able to build the pier foundation, frame shell and roof all with approval by photographs. the inspectors first visit to the site was just this summer. We do not require a septic system, compost toilet and grey water system is allowed.

We are off grid so no electrical inspection required.

Everything depends on your local building department and your lots zoning.

Get in touch early and they can be a big help

Good luck

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 09:01

I might add, my building department was very nice, polite and helpful all along the way. I did my mailing address in advance online and the planning dept and building dept consumed 20 minutes total. They reviewed my plans later, got a note in the mail a week later, plans approved, stop by to pick up permit. Nice bunch of folks.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 09:09

Same here no problems with our building department. Before we drew up the plans we went in person and met the nice women and told her what our ideas were. She was very helpful in giving us all the information we needed to proceed.

Contrary to some posters on this site you will find that the building department is there to help you. They are not your enemy.

hattie
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 13:10

My husband, Bob designed our addition. The permitting office was a bit sceptical at first, but decided his designs were okay to use. Once you are on their radar (at least out here in BC) the inspector will come when he wants to. We had frequent visits from the one out here.

We hired a contractor to do our build as it was way too complicated for us. He hired plumbers and electricians and we had a septic guy to do the field.

Some people out here try to run under the radar when it comes to permits. I wouldn't recommend it at all. Even though we live in a fairly remote area, the trucks come by on a regular basis just driving around town to see if anyone is building without a permit. If you are, they will slap a big old red sticker on your property and stop the build.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 16:22

Toyota, can you tell me how you got your mailing address online? A lady in the tax office gave me the name of a guy in the public works department who handles physical addresses for land but said they don't usually assign it until the building permit has been approved. I need one now to check on internet, phone and cable services. Is the mailing address you got online the same as the one the town you assigned your property after you got the permit?
Thanks!
Julie

Littlecooner
# Posted: 30 Jan 2015 16:57

Julie2Oregon
Are there other properties with 911 addresses on you road? You can arrive at an approximate address from your neighbors address on the mail boxes. Observer if the odd numbers are on the right or left as the addresses get larger. most states have a 5.28 foot road length per house number address. That's how emergency services find you. Where ever the numbers start, read the odometer on the car, at one mile, that's 5280 feet so the house number is 1000, at two miles, that's 10,560 feet of road, so house is 2000 block - simple math when you understand the system. Google earth has a ruler so you can even measure along the roadway in the warmth of your home.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 Jan 2015 00:48

Julie, they wouldn't even issue me a permit till I had an address. I am exactly 1/4 mile down my road, so my address was "25" or .25 miles. What county are you going to build in Oregon, I'll check out the website.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.