Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / camp sick
. 1 . 2 . >>
Wilbour
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 16:26

If you miss home they say you are Homesick. If you miss being at camp then you are Camp sick. Just drove 2 hours then rode the ferry icebreaker to the island just to look around. Now it's back to the ferry and a 2 hour drive home.

Winter is too long. Gonna insulate this summer!

bobrok
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 17:00

Wilbour: This Bud's for you!!!

rayyy
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 17:17

Very important and valuable time,Wilour.We use to come out here and walk down through the woods to the spot where we wanted to build the barn and cabin.We would walk out a reptangle in the snow and contemplate where we wanted the walls and doors and windows,stove,frig,sink,tub,,,Boy that was fun!

MtnManDan
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 17:58

Wilbour, we are in Colorado, off grid small cabin being built at 10,000 ft. Can't start working on it again till hopefully late May or
early June...We are "Camp Sick" too!

Salty Craig
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 20:17

Count me in. I haven't been to my cabin since New Years. Wanted to go this weekend (had to run snow plow). Want to go next weekend (also calling for snow) want to go weekend after next (can't, going to Hawaii). Yes I'm cabin sick. I start having withdraws after about 3 weeks.

Salty Craig

stevexac
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 20:42

Me too!!! If I go two or three weeks I start to get the itch. Six hour ride, so i try to at least get two or three days off to go!

gnt530
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 20:47

I havent posted much. I'm a long time reader but I haven't been to camp in 3 weeks and I'm going crazy.......NE PA

gsreimers
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 21:09

Minnesota winter is way to long and I have a long list of things to do. The wife expects to be able to "flush by the fourth" meaning I have water and drain lines to run. If you have looked at the thread Owen Christensen posted building my place this last summer, you'll see it won't be easy digging.

jaransont3
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 22:26

Jill and I are feeling the itch to get back to our little slice of heaven. We were there last over Christmas. Probably won't get back until the week of Memorial Day at the end of May. The only bad thing about our cabin is that it is 835 miles away...

AK Seabee
# Posted: 23 Feb 2015 01:52

Jaransont3, that is quite a distance. Wow! I am assuming if you travel that far you are generally staying longer than a weekend. Enjoy your next trip!

AK Seabee
# Posted: 23 Feb 2015 02:11

I generally have cabin withdrawals from November to February due to limited daylight and severe cold. With the warm temps this year though I have visited often.

I guess the only complaint I have is the lack of snow. It sure would be nice if some of the snow the east coast is getting would end up back here. I don't want to be greedy so maybe just three or four feet. Not too much, just enough to get us through until April.

To those of you adversely affected by the colder then normal temps and large amounts of snow: may you have a gentle warming and easy breakup.

Pookie129
# Posted: 23 Feb 2015 05:01

Quoting: Salty Craig
want to go weekend after next (can't, going to Hawaii)

I feel terrible for you and as someone who doesn't like to see a man down, I am happy to take your place and suffer silently in Hawaii. I promise no complaining....lol..lol.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 23 Feb 2015 07:09 - Edited by: Salty Craig

Pookie129
ROFLMAO!!! I guess Waikiki Beach won't be so bad.

Salty Craig

justincasei812
# Posted: 23 Feb 2015 09:33

It has been a very cold couple of months here is Michigan and I have not been up to the cabin since the end of December. I have had the chance but it takes a long time to heat the cabin up. I decided to sit back in the recliner and dream about the cabin instead until this past weekend. I actually took a ride (2hrs) on Saturday just to check things out since we made it to low 20's and sunny (F) for the day. All looked good and very peaceful. Did some plowing (about 2ft snow on the ground) just so we can get back there, any more snow than that and we would be out of luck trying to drive in. Good trip all around and when I got in the truck to leave I second guessed myself about spending the night just to soak the peace and quite in.

Kevin

creeky
# Posted: 23 Feb 2015 09:37

having a great time at the camp.
nothing like getting up, walking to the great room, going in, it's all warm. put the kettle on. start the wood stove. go feed the birds.
check the solar. wow. bright sunshine means batteries are getting 60 plus amps of power and it's not even 9.
another great day.

Steve_S
# Posted: 23 Feb 2015 10:05

@Creeky... U are BAD (with finger wagging to boot) ! LOL

Suffering here too and as anxious as all heck. Getting up there regularly to check on our property and clearing snow etc is just "not enough".... Soon, soon, soon.... and no groundhogs at the property so I can't even give'm a good berating ! I'm good & ready to chop wood & swing hammers already !

Getting the local temporary apartment was a good idea (keep telling myself that) but .... it made me even more cabin fevered I think ... certainly more frustrated in any case. FT in Cabin by June-01 ! Dat's the Hard Plan !

SandyR
# Posted: 23 Feb 2015 11:38 - Edited by: SandyR

Yes, we all are cabin sick here terribly. Can't wait until the weather breaks and we can do the rest of the build like the deck and loft railings.

creeky
# Posted: 23 Feb 2015 16:22

hey steve I figured a little splash of cabin life could help with the fever

Pookie129
# Posted: 23 Feb 2015 18:50

Quoting: creeky
having a great time at the camp.
nothing like getting up, walking to the great room, going in, it's all warm. put the kettle on. start the wood stove. go feed the birds.
check the solar. wow. bright sunshine means batteries are getting 60 plus amps of power and it's not even 9.
another great day.

Seriously.....that almost sounds like bragging...a little, but I am probably mistaken..lol..lol.

Quoting: Salty Craig
I guess Waikiki Beach won't be so bad.

You guess....well again, happy to find out for you I promise to write a full report, pictures too! Might even be able to put a power point presentation together if necessary.....lol..lol.

This is going to be a long haul to spring...lol..lol

creeky
# Posted: 24 Feb 2015 10:07

nope. it's bragging.
kidding. i've made it through the worst of winter. and as Hank on corner gas would say. No brag. Just truth.
it's good to stop and remember how blessed we are. and after an early onset winter (I'm betting on an early onset spring), I need the reminder.

Wilbour
# Posted: 24 Feb 2015 11:58

Quoting: creeky
as Hank on corner gas would say

creeky, you probably stumped a good number of friends below the 49th parallel with that reference.

bobrok
# Posted: 24 Feb 2015 12:03

Quoting: Wilbour
creeky, you probably stumped a good number of friends below the 49th parallel with that reference

Wouldn't he be distant relations with Red Green?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 25 Feb 2015 10:52

forsythia started blooming yesterday and they are talking of snow tonight and up to 70's by weekend.....very strange~~~ headed down to my camp this afternoon to feed the catfish!!!

Wilbour
# Posted: 25 Feb 2015 11:01 - Edited by: Wilbour

Quoting: bobrok
Wouldn't he be distant relations with Red Green?

Distant, as in 1500 miles. The Possum Lodge is believed to be in the Muskoka's above Toronto and Corner Gas was in "Dog River" (Rouleau) Sakatchewan.

I actually drove to "Dog River" one summer with my wife but that's another story

hueyjazz
# Posted: 25 Feb 2015 12:26

We haven't been to the cabin in over three weeks now. Learned last week that the wife has breast cancer. Spent three hours with a surgeon Tuesday to learn we presently have the best news we can about a bad thing. Cancer is relatively small and we believe it has been caught early. Already have a date for surgery. What they find in the lymph nodes can change things.
Now I really need to get her to the cabin as she draws strength from there and it brings her intense happiness. It is her happy place.
I may go to the cabin this weekend to see what it takes to dig it out. This woman is a far better person than me so I owe her this much.
Been talking a lot to the man above.

Wilbour
# Posted: 25 Feb 2015 12:36

Quoting: hueyjazz
Been talking a lot to the man above.

No harm there...

Rest assured there are many who will do the same on yours and your wife's behalf

bobrok
# Posted: 25 Feb 2015 16:21

^
+1

Moomps
# Posted: 25 Feb 2015 17:08

I went down to my cabin a couple of weeks ago and let the dog run around near the very frozen lake. As GSREIMERS wrote - Minnesota has been real cold this winter, at least lately and there is no end in sight. It's suppose to be well below zero here tonight and only get to about 5 tomorrow. I swear it was colder in the cabin then it was outside. And every time I go down there I think of something else I need to do when it finally warms up a little. From building a new outhouse, to replacing the deck to just general cleaning up of the cabin and the area around it - I can't wait to get started, but it's a little scary too.

beachman
# Posted: 25 Feb 2015 18:30

We went down to our camp the first weekend in May last year and there was not only too much snow on the little road, but the ice was still in the lake. Therefore, if it doesn't warm up soon, we will likely delay our first spring visit. Had to walk a long way through the woods.

Pookie129
# Posted: 25 Feb 2015 20:04

Quoting: hueyjazz
I may go to the cabin this weekend to see what it takes to dig it out.

If you are in the Bancroft area, will gladly and happily swing by to lend a hand with said digging Just say the word and I will start to ready my trusty shovel

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.