Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Getting started "off grid"
jjk
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 00:24

Me and my girlfriend have always wanted our own little piece of land to raise animals, grow our own food, and just call our own. In the next few months here, that is going to very possibly be happening. Once she turns 21 in April, she will be receiving an inheritance of around $40,000. On top of that, her grandmother owns 40 acres of land in Missouri that is currently not being used for anything at all and no one lives on it. She said we could do with it what we please.

Our plan is to buy a trailer and put it on the land, dedicate some of the land to raise smaller animals and grow vegetables and also set up a bit of an area for her horse.

We have a basic idea, I would just like to know all the logistics of getting this set up and livable.

Thanks!

jjk
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 01:25

Also, I apologize that this doesn't really fit into the whole "cabin" thing. I ideally would like to build a tiny house on the property, which is still an option. Whether it be purchasing a mobile home or building a tiny house I'd like to to fit it with solar power and basically make it as payment free as possible to live. Once again,

thanks!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 03:23

Check building permits and if trailers are allowed full time on the land. I don't think I would want to develop somebody else's land. What will happen when Grandma passes on? Who ends up with the land?

beachman
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 05:32

SWL is quite right. As they say, verbal agreements aren't worth the paper they're written on. I know of several people who built lovely cabins on leased land with the promise that it would pass to them. It never happened and they lost their cabins. I would get a clear written agreement on the land unless you are happy with the generous present relationship, but ready to move when the time comes. Do not assume anything.

Solar is a fascinating topic and there is a wealth of information on this and other sites. There is a book that I read when your age - 5 Acres and Independence. It was a good starting point. Good luck to you both.

rmak
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 11:08

This is the greatest place to find out about off grid, particularly solar. I can't explain the rush I had when I plugged the last wire in on my solar power and saw the thing begin to charge. A lot of people, me included, live a lot of our lives cursed with the attitude that we are controlled by gigantic impersonal multi national forces. We sheepishly buy from these monopolies, cowering in fear and paying whatever they want. It's a feeling of freedom to know that there are alternatives that work available to everyone. Self reliance and the pioneer spirit are not dead, they lay dormant in us waiting to bloom. Sounds like you are about to bloom yourself. Good luck to you!

BaconCreek
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 11:46

Backwoods Home has a website with a lot of good articles on homesteading. I would start there.

Littlecooner
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 19:46

I would STRONGLY recommend you commit something to writing before spending a single penny towards improving the 40 acres. The law records are full of this from law suits about usage of property. Get a 10-20 year lease for a mobile home, if you are going with a cabin, Get a deed, or 99 year lease. You are just asking for a huge headache down the road if you do not do this. I bet grandma has more heirs that just your gal and they will come after you when she is no longer around. Better protect your self now, even if it is just a deed to One Acre in the middle of that 40. Why not see if she would deed away what your gal would inhere it anyway ( all, 1/2, 1/4, and acre)?

neb
# Posted: 3 Mar 2015 20:33

First I'm very happy for both of you! You have a dream and I wish you the best. Have fun and make it work.

I also would say there is some great advise given in above posts.

jjk
# Posted: 5 Mar 2015 00:17

Thank you for all the advice guys, it will definitely be taken. The land has been in the family for years and years and has not been put to use for years and years due to everyone in the family being old or passed on, making my girlfriend really the only person it would go to anyway. Obviously a signed document guaranteeing the land or part of it to be ours would be a necessity.

I guess I should have been more clear, I am more looking on the best information on going all natural by using solar, homesteading, basically being able to survive off the land with minimal bills, possibly building a tiny house (which I think would be more fun and rewarding).

I personally am very into mycology. I love foraging for wild mushrooms throughout the spring and summer and fall and also would love to cultivate many different edible varieties to start a business selling mushrooms which 40 acres of land would allow me to set up a decent sized green house for that.

As of a few months we will have the money and the land. It is only an 8 hour drive from where I am right now so in a couple weeks here once winter clears up we are going to drive down and check out the land for our self.

Nirky
# Posted: 5 Mar 2015 01:31 - Edited by: Nirky

This forum is great for building a cabin, but until you do, you want to go here.

countryred
# Posted: 7 Mar 2015 20:57

Nirky is right, check out the permaculture way of designing the place. We are working on our own chunk of Missouri, getting the fruit trees, berries, and ponds going years before we move there.

What part of Mo. if you don't mind me asking?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.