Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / New User
NMC
# Posted: 24 Apr 2015 11:47

I just discoverd this forum a couple of weeks ago and have been reading your posts. I love everything about it.
My wife and I bought a small cabin on a small lake in South Dakota in 2013 as our empty nest project. It has consumed me and I would like to spend all of my time there. The great thing is that it is only 15 minutes from our home. The not so great thing is that it is not isolated at all. Here are a few photos of what we have done so far.
Original cabin
Original cabin
Updated cabin
Updated cabin
Original inside
Original inside
updated inside
updated inside

RiverCabin
# Posted: 24 Apr 2015 13:12

Wow, it looks great!

There is nothing wrong with NOT being isolated, if fact sometimes it is a benefit. Being that close to your home is a GREAT benefit as a visit to the cabin requires no preplanning.

Ruggles
# Posted: 24 Apr 2015 15:13

Distance and isolation are tradeoffs for sure. I like having a remote acreage in the Rockies, but it's a three hour drive each way. I think I'd trade off 20 of 40 acres if somebody could teleport the cabin and the remaining 20 halfway to my house hahaha

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 24 Apr 2015 19:24

Welcome. looks like you're doing some good work.

Owen

Shadyacres
# Posted: 24 Apr 2015 19:48

Welcome to a great site. You've done a great job on your cabin. We are only 35 minutes from our cabin and I like it that close as we can go on a whim. Maybe you can plant trees to isolate your cabin somewhat.

NMC
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 17:38

Thank you for the kind words. We have planted some trees. Hope to plant more in the future. A work in progress.

neb
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 18:34

Great to see new comers! I look at being closer to the cabin as a good thing. You can go at a drop of the hat and can enjoy it more often.

bldginsp
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 19:32

Lack of isolation can be a real benefit. Thieves look for isolated locations where they are less likely to be noticed. My parcel has a road going thru the middle of it and my neighbor drives by daily. He also has a big dog that doesn't like strangers. No one has ever messed with my place. The occasional disturbance of a car passing by is small price to pay for basic security.

Nice cabin

pizzadude
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 22:28

You have a beautiful cabin. Nice work!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 23:37 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

very nice cabin---welcome to the forum .....I go to South Dakota sometimes in the spring to turkey hunt...pretty country out that way!!! what kind of fish in the pond???

NMC
# Posted: 28 Apr 2015 12:01

Turkey Hunter we have some nice Walleye, unfortunatly, I tend to catch the carp.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Apr 2015 14:38

NMC, maybe bait it too low or too close to the bottom? Getting the bottom feeders? I know I'm too low on some lakes when I get catfish too.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.