Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Mosquito- and black fly-proofing a small cabin
spillenger
# Posted: 3 May 2015 21:09

I would like advice on doing a very specific thing. I want to find a way to systematically seal the wooden floors and walls of my cabin so that mosquitoes and black flies can't get in and torture us.

I do not want information on vitamin B-1, mosquito coils, various low- and high-tech repellents, candles, plants, etc. I have tried these and found them unsatisfactory. I want to seal off the entrances.

Ours is a summer cabin, not winterized or insulated in any way, not built with any attention to making the boards come together in a way that would keep bugs and wind out. There are lots of ways for insects to get in -- mainly through the spaces where the roughly milled spruce boards do not meet flush.

What to do? I imagine caulking all the seams where boards meet with silicon or something and I want to put a pistol to my head: It would take weeks and it wouldn't look so hot. I imagine putting up some kind of plastic sheeting, and suddenly the living environment becomes really ugly. Is there another option? What do people do in this situation? "Learn to live with it" is not the answer I'm looking for. These are serious little monsters. Mama can't sleep, and when Mama can't sleep, Mama ain't happy. And when Mama ain't happy, ain't no one happy.

I can upload a photo that shows the walls if that is useful.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

tburton
# Posted: 3 May 2015 22:01

If the problem is mainly with respect to sleeping, get one of those bug nets that go over your bed.

AK Seabee
# Posted: 3 May 2015 22:23

You can install a sub floor or go underneath the cabin to seal it off. A weekend project for no bugs sounds like a win win

creeky
# Posted: 4 May 2015 09:17

Get a spray foam gun and a couple of big cans of foam? It won't take long. you can trim the bulging stuff where and if required.

I'm with mama tho. you gotz to have a place that is biting bug free.

Wilbour
# Posted: 4 May 2015 09:43

Quoting: tburton
If the problem is mainly with respect to sleeping, get one of those bug nets that go over your bed

Got one of those from the local thrift store but you can get them from Ikea as well. This is a must for my misses.

old243
# Posted: 4 May 2015 10:16

My experience at the camp with black flies, they do not like to be inside. Others might not agree with me. Someone in the north told me he thinks that any that get in by mistake, will want out . You will see them on the inside of a screened porch, or screen door , but they are mostly wanting out.
Mosquitoes are a entirely different beast, if they get in they will search you out, Usually very early in the morning when you would really rather be sleeping, you hear that annoying hum, when it stops , you know it has lit on you but you are not exactly sure where.. My solution is usually a mosquito coil, lit in the evening for an hour, when you are going to be out. But you didn't want that suggestion. Good luck with the bugs . old 243

FishHog
# Posted: 4 May 2015 10:52

I have the same experience as old243. Blackflies don't bite indoors. Mossy's on the other hand could care less.
Sealing up the cracks is your only option, other than living in a bug jacket.
Screen or caulk, or something solid over top of the cracks is the only solution. the trick is finding something that looks decent enough for your tastes. hell Duct Tape would work, just won't look great. Clear packing tape might look better.

spillenger
# Posted: 4 May 2015 11:17

Thanks so much for all the responses so far.

Yes, it's true about the black flies. I just mentioned them to add drama to my plight. But the mosquitoes are bad enough all on their own.

We do have a bug net, and that works pretty well when we're in the bed. But when we're not in the bed, it doesn't do a thing.

Not sure about that foam stuff. It's a little hard to control and pretty horrible to look at.

Clearing packaging tape ... hmm. Might work, but it's still a little tacky, and not in a good way. I suppose I could staple or nail some very thin board over the entryways. Or I could do the unthinkable and put some interior wood "siding" over the insulation spaces and really seal the inside off.

Keep those cards and letters coming, if you have any other ideas. And thanks again for the ideas so far.

Paul

Pookie129
# Posted: 5 May 2015 11:22

Quoting: spillenger
It would take weeks and it wouldn't look so hot. I imagine putting up some kind of plastic sheeting, and suddenly the living environment becomes really ugly. Is there another option?

If you used a combination of screen material stapled across to the ends and then only having to caulk the outer or end boards, or use smaller pieces of wood to frame the screening and serve as a caulk block (trademarking that right now) for the end or outer boards, then only have to caulk as necessary...

creeky
# Posted: 5 May 2015 11:44

Quoting: Pookie129
a caulk block (trademarking that right now)

Pookie129
# Posted: 5 May 2015 16:55

That is pure gold son...pure gold...lol...lol.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.