Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / New here
smallhomedreamer
# Posted: 3 May 2015 23:56

Hello,

I just signed up because I am closing on some lots and planning to put a small cabin on one.

I have contemplated many options over the last few months. I am leaning to a Derksens Prebuilt shell. I have beat myself up a bit back and forth on benefits of building shell myself but because I have no support or housing near my lots it seems easier to start with a shelled in prefab cabin unit.

I would prefer 20' wide but at least in the area I will purchase 16' wide is available and not just 12' I am looking to do Aprox 16x40'

I joined so that I can see what expereinced warnings, tips and advice may apply to and benefit my decisions.

Thank you

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 4 May 2015 13:15

Welcome to the forum. Lots of smart and creative folk here so be sure to update us as you move through the process. And don't forget the pics!

bldginsp
# Posted: 4 May 2015 14:58 - Edited by: bldginsp

I guess the big question when installing any prefab is what kind of foundation you plan to put under it. Often they just put them on gravel with PT skids, which will be OK for a limited time. Not sure how you would put a prefab on a concrete foundation.

What are the foundation options presented to you?

How long do you want the building to last?

smallhomedreamer
# Posted: 4 May 2015 23:20

Many buildings in the area are on block piers. I haven't made decision yet but yes Derksen delivers with skids.

Do you have some data about lifespan?

bldginsp
# Posted: 4 May 2015 23:38

No specific data, but just the general idea that if you put wood on dirt the result is inevitable. The only way to make a building last is to get the wood up off the dirt onto concrete or stone, and the only way to make a concrete foundation that will last is to pour a lot of concrete. Piers on grade won't be stable in the long run. So the question always is- how long do you want it to last?

smallhomedreamer
# Posted: 5 May 2015 00:12

If I could afford a home built to last I would go with Formworks building made of concrete designed to last a few hundred years.

still an option

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.