Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Healing powers of a cabin
hueyjazz
# Posted: 23 Jun 2015 12:01

Earlier this year this year my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. Two operations later they believe it was all removed but that's not the end of it. Monday through Friday she has to go for radiation treatments. These start slow but are cumulative in affect. Fortunately chemo wasn't necessary.

I found it vital to get her to our cabin every Friday night. The peace and serenity got her going enough to make it through another week. We have two dogs. A pup mix and a 7 year old golden retriever. The golden would not leave her side while at the cabin. Normally she would jump at the chance to walk our land. But if my wife went on a hike so would the dog.

littlehouseontheprarie
# Posted: 23 Jun 2015 12:22

First off.My prayers are with you and your wife.Such a hard time to go through for anyone.
Secondly.Having just a little place to go to take your mind off of the everyday grind of life is great for everyone.
My cabin has not even begun on my land.Right now we have a storage shed with a bed,a table and chairs and a porta- potty.
And to me it is still heaven.Just getting away and not thinking about all the everyday crap.I feel refreshed every time I step onto our land.
That golden retriever is a good friend indeed.

hattie
# Posted: 23 Jun 2015 12:39

A peaceful cabin and dogs are the best therapy anyone can ask for. Our prayers are with you hueyjazz!

ClimberKev
# Posted: 23 Jun 2015 12:48

I truly believe in the healing powers of "the cabin" (and dog). Have you seen the short film about Denali the dog? A bit of a tear jerker but very inspirational. I can't seem to load the link but check it out on YouTube...

Denali - a moving tribute to man's best friend [OFFICIAL VIDEO]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2zQbsEGh_Q

naturelover66
# Posted: 23 Jun 2015 13:46

Thinking positive thoughts for you and your wife. I certainly agree the cabin is very theraputic... I just got back from my cabin .. My dogs and i had a blast..
There have been great breakthrus in breast cancer treatment.. Keep the faith.

Gary O
# Posted: 23 Jun 2015 14:42

Quoting: hueyjazz
I found it vital to get her to our cabin every Friday night.

amen, my friend, amen

Pookie129
# Posted: 23 Jun 2015 18:05 - Edited by: Pookie129

You are lucky to have each other, and the support you provide to one another.

Our cabins or camps may not be much or a way of living to others but it has the healing powers of all the alchemy and proclaimed help in the world.

Nothing like having a loving, willing and supportive partner who makes you and your needs a priority and ensuring those needs are met, and fortunately for you both, those needs involve the cabin.

Sending well wishes, positive thoughts and love to you both.

kid A
# Posted: 23 Jun 2015 19:51

Feel for you OP, and I couldn't agree more. A lot of people I talk to about wanting to spend the coin on a place up north just don't get it. It's more than a monetary investment and a monetary payoff. I would argue that is less than 1% of it. It's about getting away. It's an investment in your mental, and consequently physical, health. Wish you the best OP.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 24 Jun 2015 08:27

prayers and good thoughts for YOUR WIFE AND YOU....during this time. And people who love dogs are great people. OUR dogs know when we are sick or otherwise. Wishing you guys the BEST!!!

black_raven
# Posted: 24 Jun 2015 15:12

good luck to you, get well wishes.

I just found out my brother has leukemia last night and i went to visit him in the hospital. We haven't gone fishing together in 25 years...i told him i just got a cabin and that we'll go fishing there when he is out of chemo and recovered. It seemed to perk him up. give him something to talk about other than being sick.

Here's hoping cabins do provide healing power.

cabingal3
# Posted: 25 Jun 2015 10:48

Quoting: hueyjazz
I found it vital to get her to our cabin every Friday night. The peace and serenity got her going enough to make it through another week

what a wonderful gift u are giving to your wife.prayers for u both.
that is the most wonderful thing in the world to do ...

cabingal3
# Posted: 25 Jun 2015 10:49

Quoting: black_raven
I just found out my brother has leukemia last night and i went to visit him in the hospital. We haven't gone fishing together in 25 years...i told him i just got a cabin and that we'll go fishing there when he is out of chemo and recovered. It seemed to perk him up. give him something to talk about other than being sick.

Here's hoping cabins do provide healing power.

praying for your brother black_raven and yes.i am convinced cabins do have healing powers.

Tmurph
# Posted: 26 Jun 2015 21:43

I was diagnosed this week with lymphoma.I bought the cabin, 500 sq ft in west central Il in November. I have found peace of mind there! I told my dear wife I will be spending a lot of time there for mental therapy. Not to get away from her but to help cope with chemo, etc that starts next week. 20 miles away with a fair cell signal convinced her. I will pray for op and wife.

neb
# Posted: 27 Jun 2015 15:52 - Edited by: neb

Tmurph
I want to wish you the best and everything will turn out just fine. Please keep your family here posted.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 27 Jun 2015 20:41

Prayers and positive vibes inbound for Hueyjazz, black_raven and Tmurph. Your fellow cabin folk will be here, pulling for you.

Gary O
# Posted: 28 Jun 2015 00:47 - Edited by: Gary O

What is it about simple living, simple places..cabins.

It seems the human psyche, the spiritual core of mankind, cannot fare as well as the mechanical side of the mental process when enamored with busy-ness...making money...earning 'a living'.

In the city, or suburbs, seems even the traffic of going to work is hectic....so we enhance it all by coffeeing up to keep pace, a pace that nobody can truly, honestly bear for the many years it takes to find that thing, that happiness we all are in pursuit of.

Seems most of us here know this and have made or are making their escape, their get-a-way, their paradise. And go there as often as they can, or when they know they must. That, my friends, is that happiness.

I'll tell y'all, we've only been living at our cabin for 60 days, but in those 60 days we both have found a more sure core of our innermost being.
A deeper happiness.

Heh, I may find that I too have some sorta malady that will shorten my days.

But

This is my happiness, and I'd be mad as hell if I thought I couldn't be here...whether it be sickness or any other detriment.
My days will end here, not a doubt.

Seeing mighty, aged trees get blown over yesterday reminded me that we are not here forever.
We can be cut down in midstream.
Each day is a prize.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but it cannot be helped, and I'm thankful for this site, and this thread for giving me the avenue to express myself.

I tell you, Hueyjazz, black_raven and Tmurph, I wouldn't exchange this for any other place.

When one is in peril, be it self-induced or it's just what happens, one can savor, taste, feel much more than when slogging away in a predictable routine.
What better place than your cabin?

In the midst of all the societal pressures one is somewhat forced to (as the Chinese say) 'wear a face'.
It's really hard to not wear that face out here when watching the sun rise, when listening to the birds sing their happy little songs, when the mighty hawk casts it's shadow over whatever you're doing, or when a chippy skitters by, or you're sitting there exhausted watching it watch you....and at the end of day...when watching the sun set.
Completion.

I'm in no way religious, but it's not a struggle out here to reason there's a great maker in control of it all.

...and what better healer?

Pookie129
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 05:06

Quoting: LoonWhisperer
Prayers and positive vibes inbound for Hueyjazz, black_raven and Tmurph. Your fellow cabin folk will be here, pulling for you.

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto

Pookie129
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 05:20 - Edited by: Pookie129

I still say Gary O should write Cabin Stories and Life tidbits whilst "retired" as he (along with a few others around here) have the gift of "words".

I think the reason we love our cabins/camps so much - aside from the general stuff (wildlife, peace and quiet, etc) is because it is the closest to our truest, most organic and honest selves.

There is no keeping up with the Jones, trying to out do or pace someone else, no mirrors for make up or masks, no other alpha males to compete with outside of nature - it is us and the environment, no facebook, no social media, etc - just you and life, living on your own terms in our (hopefully) truest sense of who we have become as people or who we wanted to become, before life got in the way or we got confused along the way.

I was told this past weekend by someone who has known me for over 15 years, that they never see me as happy, relaxed/peaceful (and that is a subjective term as I am never below defcon 2) or smiling as much as when I am at camp or talking about camp.

Being at camp/cabin puts everything else into place - and allows us to re-focus or re-calibrate our priorities. Good health and well being at the very top of that list of priorities.

Positive thoughts, much love and well wishes for good health and many more good times are being sent to you all.

Gary O
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 08:12

Quoting: Pookie129
Being at camp/cabin puts everything else into place - and allows us to re-focus or re-calibrate our priorities. Good health and well being at the very top of that list of priorities.

amen to that

moregon
# Posted: 19 Jul 2015 22:32

Truly, life is short do not waste a moment of it. Find your happiness, grab it, run and don't look back!

Monique

SandyR
# Posted: 19 Jul 2015 23:00

Beautiful Gary. What a peaceful picture.

I will be praying for all of you as well. With all of us praying there is no doubt that it will all work out. Bless you all, and keep us posted.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.