Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / How to prevent avalanche off roof
FishHog
# Posted: 31 Jul 2015 10:24

Last winter we showed up at the new place for the first time in the winter months. As you can see from the picture unless I was willing to do a lot of shovelling I couldn't get in the back door. So we went in the front.
Last weekend I installed a new Patio door in the front that does not have key opening access from the outside. I might look at replacing the lock so I have that option, but I'm trying to figure a way to divert the snow away from the back door when it slides.
Any suggestions as to how I can do that?

Thanks,
FishHog
P1060029.JPG
P1060029.JPG

MtnDon
# Posted: 31 Jul 2015 12:14 - Edited by: MtnDon

Google "snowbirds, roof" or "snowguards"

Pipe along the eve edge also works... been used in Europe for decades. I did that on our cabin roof. Of course. the roof must have been designed and built to manage the expected snowloads.
Swiss roof, snow stops
Swiss roof, snow stops

NorthRick
# Posted: 31 Jul 2015 12:16

That's why I put doors on the gable end of a building. People have been killed by snow and ice sliding off of roofs. You can install snow fences on the roof which will prevent it from sliding off.

Another option would be to put a small roof over the entrance with the peak running perpendicular to the peak on the cabin. As the snow slides off the cabin, the entrance roof would send it to either side.

MtnDon
# Posted: 31 Jul 2015 13:22

Quoting: NorthRick
That's why I put doors on the gable end of a building.

Same reason here.

Adding a dormer porch roof at right angles as you mention is a good solution too.

Some places also need show diverters to prevent snow slides from removing chimneys, vent pipes, etc.

This is in Colorado.
CO snow diverters
CO snow diverters

rockies
# Posted: 31 Jul 2015 19:25

I notice that the only snow left on your roof is above the stove pipe. I saw this online.

http://snoblox-snojax.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=34

They have other products as well.
Vent Saver
Vent Saver

FishHog
# Posted: 2 Aug 2015 08:17

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Good ideas.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 13 Aug 2015 20:00

If seen little 'points' added to the bottom edges of roofs too.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.