Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Tips and tricks for faked security
pizzadude
# Posted: 18 Aug 2015 00:34 - Edited by: pizzadude

Sometimes if I'm gone away from the cabin for a long time, I'll throw a handwritten note on the door "ran to the store, be back shortly"
If someone wants to vandalize or break in, maybe they think twice about it after reading my note.
No break ins yet. Must be working!
Or maybe I've had no unwanted visitors yet..
Any thoughts or ideas of your own?

cabingal3
# Posted: 18 Aug 2015 06:32

i made a mosaic bust of a ladies head.
i put half marbles in for eyes.i put a stocking cap on her and a scarf around her neck and a jacket on her with knitting needles about the cuff of the jacket with a ball of yarn.put her on a table in the window of the cabin...partly hid by the curtain.
our neighbors said it scared the dickens out of them.
we also have two vehicles.one there all the time looks like someone might be home.
we have a gate at one entry...blocked off so to speak.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 18 Aug 2015 07:00

The alarm sticker on the door, or the alarm sign in the yard are classics, as is putting an old pair of size 12 boots next to the front/back door.

The NRA sticker (or any gun sticker) on the door serves as a warning, but it also may be an attraction to someone who wants to steal firearms.

Then their is the fake camera with an antenna on the back. Works for my neighbor.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 18 Aug 2015 13:54

cabingal3
Bwahahaha, that ladies' head sounds awesome! Does she have a name?

cabingal3
# Posted: 18 Aug 2015 22:43

oh thats a good question Julie.actually no she doesnt.
snicker. i have her sticking up out of my garden right now covered with rocks all around her.

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Aug 2015 05:02

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
Bwahahaha, that ladies' head sounds awesome! Does she have a name?

Ariel

her name is Ariel

quite fetching, I must say

dads2vette
# Posted: 17 Sep 2015 19:13

I have seen this sign quite a bit lately.

"I hope you smiled, your picture has already been taken."

Smawgunner
# Posted: 17 Sep 2015 19:36

We have 3 of these and a sign that says "smile, you're on camera.
http://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/home-accessibility/every-room-accessibility/ho me-security-safety/home-monitoring-systems/solar-decoy-camera/p-2033994-c-6470.htm?ti d=-8156547726665872748

Smawgunner
# Posted: 17 Sep 2015 21:31

Oh,..I also put a quarter on the chair arm rest on the porch to see if we've got "company" hasn't disappeared yet!

smallcabin
# Posted: 2 Oct 2015 17:14 - Edited by: smallcabin

A month ago....I left my keys to the cabin and storage sheds in the shelter for 2 weeks....(thought I had put it away) we went back up to the cabin with nothing missing and the key's still hanging in the shelter.

I must've some nice neighbors or there were nothing inside they wanted? LOL

To me, having security of any kind, fake or real is just a message to INVITE potential thieves that you may have valuable items inside your cabin. So as such, I tends to shy away from posting any security signs (not even a LOCKED GATE)
other than just a simple "NO TRESPASSING" sign is suffice.

bowtie1
# Posted: 2 Oct 2015 18:31

I leave my old truck at our camp. I park it in a different position each weekend when we leave. from the gate a truck can be seen and makes anyone who shows up there wonder if someone is there. My guard truck lol

Jebediah
# Posted: 17 Dec 2015 10:54

I'm only 2 hrs away and retired, I don't worry about break ins and I'm there at least 3x a month. I do however leave clothes hanging on the clothes line, my gate is always locked, there or not. My dog will venture out to the gate quite often so passing vehicles see her and the gate is closed. During the winter months I just try and keep the road in plowed after every snow fall. Its been one year now and no issues although the previous owners did have a break in, but they were only there during the summer, they lived in Germany. My place is a good distance off the main road and people have no idea how far it is into the place so a thief would be taking quite the risk walking or driving in.

dsmith14469
# Posted: 17 Dec 2015 11:43

I don't know if my idea has worked yet or not. On my shed i bought a flashing red LED, a key switch and a wall plate. I fit the LED and key switch on the wall plate and attached that to my shed. I have a large 12V battery supplying power to the LED. I also have an old antenna stuck up on the shed roof.

Hopefully this combination will deter people from breaking into my shed.

BaconCreek
# Posted: 17 Dec 2015 13:50

We bought a motion activated barking dog alarm. When you approach the cabin it goes off inside and sounds very realistic. It also changes up the barking and snarling so it isn't repetitive. Scared the crap out of my friend when we walked up to the cabin one time.
Bought it off Amazon. It was a bit pricey but if it stops one break in it is worth it.

Jebediah
# Posted: 18 Dec 2015 19:06

A friend built a little shed, he calls it fort Knox, there's nothing in it but he has a sign on the outside that says...remember to turn the gas off to both generators and remove the key from the lawn tractor. He hopes the thieves will waste their time trying to break in there .

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Dec 2015 00:35 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: RichInTheUSA
The NRA sticker (or any gun sticker) on the door serves as a warning

I have some on my home, "Warning, dog eats everything owner shoots"

(Gadget, my 100 lb English bulldog, he eats everything too, Gizmo is my french bulldog at 65 lbs)

I have a dome camera at the porch, and a camera at the top of the gable end looking down. Gate it locked, I do have my tenants which is 4 horses, and they are tended to with the owner every other day for water and hay as we now have 8" of snow on the ground. So there is steady traffic in there and there is always fresh tracks going in on the snow letting people know, its occupied too.
Gizmo and Gadget
Gizmo and Gadget
Gadget, AKA biscuit ass
Gadget, AKA biscuit ass

bobrok
# Posted: 20 Dec 2015 16:21 - Edited by: bobrok

I gotta laugh.
Son's g/f has an English Bulldog. Yeah, he eat's everything, but a watchdog?
LOL, I think not.
Just an all-around fun doggie to have and play with.
He scares himself with his, umm, flatulence, more so than he intimidates anyone.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Dec 2015 20:21 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Yes, Gadget, the English bulldog we have will bark to let us know you are there, along with the Frenchie, but the English will lick the skin right off the intruder.

He is at the vet right now, had a lump in his ear flap, something called a hemotoma (broken blood vessel), and we just shelled out $1700. But it looks like he will be back home in an hour and no more additional cost. I guess I will let the wife know she just burnt through her Christmas present money.

The vet asked what we call him (referring to his name) and she replied "biscuit ass" and so he wrote it down on paperwork and his tag. She told him that is what we call him, but his name is Gadget.

deercula
# Posted: 20 Dec 2015 21:14

Battery powered siren alarm & flashing light......

http://www.swann.com/us/swhom-alarmp

KinAlberta
# Posted: 1 Mar 2016 23:38

The fake dead granny corpse in the bed, with the chipper shredder sitting near the front door, and the creepy Texas-chain-saw-murderer-family-photo-collection on the living room wall might, etc. etc. etc. might act as a bit of a deterrent.

brooksm29
# Posted: 2 Mar 2016 00:26

What I think is odd is that, we as property owners, cannot set up more useful deterants for unwanted guests! We being law abiding citizens are at the mercy of the criminal. If we could set up booby traps(hidden pits, deadfall snares, etc), nobody would even think about trespassing/robbing you. Dont get me wrong I dont want people getting hurt/killed but I also dont want my stuff(I worked hard for)to be taken. I do not want to go though the agony of finding, fixing and replacing what has been broken/stolen.

pizzadude
# Posted: 2 Mar 2016 01:54

The term "boobytrap".
As I recall from a different thread, there was some debate as to what that meant.
To some it means to set up some sort of contraption to inflict pain or even death to keep unwanted company from attempting to damage your property or possessions.
To others, like myself, it means to set up a sort of contraption to SCARE OFF any would-be guests that are "unwanted".
Minimal harm, certainly not death.
But to definitely send a message..
Do not mess with me or my stuff
Or bad things "could" happen to you.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 2 Mar 2016 11:48

Quoting: Gary O
Ariel

her name is Ariel

quite fetching, I must say

Priceless! Feel free to share a pic ;)

Coyote Flats
# Posted: 2 Mar 2016 13:27

I went to check on my friend one time and as I came up to the front door I looked up and in the window beside the door was a Halloween mask . It gave me the scare of my life. I just had to get out of there right away. I seen my friend later and we had a good laugh about it

1tentman
# Posted: 2 Mar 2016 13:39

Was the mask Wile E. coyote couldnt pass it up sorry!

KinAlberta
# Posted: 2 Mar 2016 20:13

Beware of Swiper masks. Hate to have to call in Dora the Explorer over nothing.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 4 Nov 2016 14:14 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Forgot that we were once given a damaged little incandescent desk lamp with a patterned lamp shade that used to turn from the heat off the bulb. This would have been great in that it would have cast moving shadows making it look like someone was at home.

Hmm:

How To make a spinning / rotating lampshade (aka How to make a fire hazard for your child's bedroom)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwg93xSgGUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNmct5GcNj0

Gary O
# Posted: 7 Nov 2016 00:33

actually, been over a year and a half out here

haven't needed faked security

not sure why...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.