Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Befriending your neighbors
Smawgunner
# Posted: 29 Aug 2015 20:53

We've had the cabin for almost three years now. I've got to know lots of neighbors pretty well, even though they live a span between 1-2 miles away. ALL of them are great people, however, they visit unannounced quite a bit. We end up having a cook out or drinking some beers. But they keep me from working on the cabin and I come down there to get away from people. I don't want to be rude but I'm going to start telling them not to show up unannounced. Anyone else have this problem?

DaveBell
# Posted: 29 Aug 2015 21:05

So as not to offend any one neighbor and avoid explaining an awkward subject to several, how about making a folding sign to post in the middle of the driveway - Closed for Construction Today with your cell number.

Brknarow
# Posted: 29 Aug 2015 21:28 - Edited by: Brknarow

I play loud classical music (mostly Bach; I do this anyway) and talk about M-theory but dumb it down to string theory if they seem confused. I don't get many visitors.

I'm just trying to remind them of the difference between neighbors and friends a problem I've had to deal with often.

Gary O
# Posted: 29 Aug 2015 21:53

That really is a tough one.
Folks either want to get to know what that guy is like, or want to know how yer doin'....been awhile.

I usually stop, chat a bit, then keep working.
Sometimes I have them hand me a board, and another.
Looking up at the sun, then yer watch, sometimes is hint enough.
Sometimes nothing is hint enough, but they usually get tired of trying to talk over the genny after an hour or two.

But

Knowing these folks would become our neighbors, full time, I usually stop working and 'waste' the hour or even longer getting to know them better.
You know, the ones that seem to watch over yer place when yer gone.
The ones that are there when you...need....them.
Those guys.

As far as 'drop ins'....how else do ya do it?
Nobody seems to be hanging by their cell phones up there.
I sure don't.

However, we have asked the neighbors to honk when they get near the place.
Nobody wants to see a naked 66 yr old's wrinkly hind end comin' outta the loo.
Bobcats even run and hide.

Second thought, maybe that'd give 'em pause for next time.....

Coastal
# Posted: 29 Aug 2015 22:37

Put up a gate and say it's for thieves you've heard about in the area. Then keep it locked. ;)

pizzadude
# Posted: 29 Aug 2015 23:39

Take a quick dip in the sewer when you see them coming up the drive. Then greet them with a hug.
If that's not your style, I'd say go with Gary O's words.
He nailed it.

Gary O
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 00:14

Quoting: pizzadude
Take a quick dip in the sewer when you see them coming up the drive. Then greet them with a hug.

coffee thru the nasal passage
thanks for the sinus cleanout, P-dude

hattie
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 00:40

If you offer them beer and a cookout they will always come back - who wouldn't? You don't want neighbours to feel unwelcome in the country because they might be a lifesaver to you some day. When they stop by just chat a bit and then be honest and say you have to get back to what you were working on. They should understand.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 06:31 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

a locked gate is your 'friend".....at my home and both cabins have gates.
If some of my friends want to come by the camp to see me...they HAVE my cell phone number...it rings and if i am busy ;) or napping...I will call them back later...I don't want any unexpected visits from ANYONE!!!

Wilbour
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 07:01

I guess I would just explain it like it is. Ask then if they would be able to lend a hand. I always enjoy having someone to bounce ideas off of.

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 07:32

we always stop and gab.
the woodland children come over and we stop and talk.we sort of go with what they want.
if any adults come over.we always stop and talk with them.
so i dont know.
its really hard to get work done.
i am thinking of getting lily(9) and shyanne(8) and me and krya(16) our neighbor hood woods girls to come sit with me and we all make quilts.
they are getting a new bedroom built onto their cabin by dad.
it would be fun to sit and show them how to make a puff quilt.
but do i have the time?
we are getting ready for winter here at the homestead.
so its hard to balance things that we want to have fun with and things we must get done.

FishHog
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 07:59

I think Gary nailed it also. Sometimes you just need to take some time to be social. But others there is nothing wrong with saying "sorry, would like to visit longer, but I have to get this job done" and start back at it.

old243
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 09:40

Our camp is several hours away so we don't get there as often as I would like. Our camp is at the end of a road , then another 1/4 mile of our road. We have it gated but not locked. We are on good terms with our neigbours.They usually see most comings and goings. They recognize the locals truck, and will check our a strange visitor. We invite them in for a meal and visit, We support the local, lions club, fundraising, that most of the locals belong to, this brings you closer to the neighborhood. They will include you , as one of them. I always maintain. They do not need you, you need them. To have good neigbours , you have to be one in return. Old243

Pookie129
# Posted: 31 Aug 2015 06:25

Quoting: FishHog

I think Gary nailed it also. Sometimes you just need to take some time to be social. But others there is nothing wrong with saying "sorry, would like to visit longer, but I have to get this job done" and start back at it

Agreed, plus Gary nailed it in the sense that you also now have more hands to make lighter work. The crowds start to clear up when they realize you mean it, by accepting the help......come once fool me, come twice, you will be fooled by a day of hard work...lol..lol. rewarded with a cook out of course but not before the work gets done.

davestreck
# Posted: 31 Aug 2015 20:01 - Edited by: davestreck

Our camp is remote enough that we rarely have "drop ins", although it does happen once or twice every trip. My philosophy is that creating and maintaining good relations with your neighbors is the single best thing you can do to protect the investment you've made in your place. We used to have a problem with people ripping off our stuff every year, but since we have started becoming friendly with a number of the locals we have had no more incidents (knock wood). We encourage our friends up there to use our camp whenever we're away, and anytime someone comes to visit I take the time to offer them a beer and hang out. I consider it time well spent. There are a lot of folks up there curious about these crazy Americans who are building a camp on this offshore island, and any chance I get to meet locals I jump at it. That way I'm able to squash some of the rumors about us, like that we're rich (ha!) or that we're planning on banning hunting on the island (no chance; hunting is too important to the local community, and there's no way we could enforce such a ban anyway).

Once people get to know you, talk with you, have a beer with you, they're less likely to see you as an "interloper". And they're more likely to take a personal interest in helping you protect your place. A lot of the stealing and vandalism that happens to the remote camps up in our area is directed against outsiders with no ties to the local community.

So I say "Come on in!" whenever a guest shows up uninvited. Its cheap insurance, and an excuse to crack a beer.

davestreck
# Posted: 31 Aug 2015 20:07

Quoting: old243
To have good neigbours , you have to be one in return

Reading back, I could have just quoted this and saved myself all that typing. Well said.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 Aug 2015 21:12

Around my area, rule of thumb, gate is open, stop in. If the gate is closed, respect privacy. I close my gate every evening and open it after I get up and have breakfast.

Gary O
# Posted: 3 Sep 2015 08:34 - Edited by: Gary O

I do believe I'm out of nails now.

However

I have a bit of a story of yesterday's events.

We had a pancake shindig in the late morning.
A small gift in return to a couple young families for demoing the hovel that graced the adjacent property we bought to enhance our sprawling two point five acre ponderosette.

The dads couldn't make it due to a presched trip north but the wives and kiddies were folk enough.
The pancakes were good, the coffee was exquisite, the conversation was rabid.

Three ladies. Mothers of the woods. Together.

I only have twenty-seven major projects left to do before the cold overtakes us, so I settled into the realization that I would be the babysitter....for just the morning, perhaps.....silly me.

Oh, I s'pose I coulda stayed with the softer side of adulthood and try to crowbar a word in here and there, but I'm not well versed in menopause, crochet patterns, okra omelets, or husbands and their intermittent bouts of retardation.

And the little darlings were oddly quiet.

One little sweetie loves to 'help' me work, and begun pestering me on her and I getting to the tasks at hand.
The other two were off and running from one project to another.

I got rather dizzy spinning around trying to keep track of 'em.
It's rather mind boggling as to how many things sugared up miniature cyclones can get their sticky little mitts on in such a short amount of time.

So I centered on just one urchin while keeping the eyeball in the back of my head trained on the tiny satanic imps twirling and sword fighting with my carefully cut wood strips for trim...now, apparently kindling.

'let's paint'

'no, let's not'

'why not?'

'because'

'because why?'

'because I need to be with the other adults'

'why?, they're girls'

'yer right, let's paint'

She now knows how to hold a brush, dip it somewhere below the hilt, lay down semitransparent stain in an even straight line, and apply paint to my beard in a lovely redwood hue.

'well now, let's call it a day, shall we?'

'what's next?'

'we've got to go shopping'

'go tell your wife that you and I are going shopping'
The hammer was in reach...tempting.

'let's just go, you drive'

She got in the jeep

'OK, put in the clutch......that's the gas, now we're flooded'

'we're not really driving'

'sure we are', now shift to second, rrrrrrden urden urden'

'yer just making noise'

'hey, look! Squirrels!'

The conversation moved on to how her little sister was a conniving selfish little scalawag and didn't deserve to live....neat stuff like that.

I fled back to the ladies area, giving my wife my most grievous look of mental anguish.
To no avail.

I reached back into the recess of my mind.
Turns out, a few scrap boards, a hammer, and some nails, and my life is mine again.

3pm

I'm out of nails

SteveN
# Posted: 3 Sep 2015 09:06

Great story Gary O

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Sep 2015 11:39

ha ahaa haa.
the little girl had Gary wrapped around her little finger.
they were chopping wood together.she wanted to stay with us to chop all our winters wood.
strong little funny girl.
the kids were priceless.
us moms had a gab fest about lives stories .
thank u Mister.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.