Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Ever find a prize in the forest?
pizzadude
# Posted: 8 Oct 2015 01:25

These moose sheds are my best find. I found them 6 years apart. They look to be from the same bull, probably the same year.
We don't have many moose here in northern Minnesota. So when I found a 17lb shed seven years ago, I was tickled pink. I've never even found a whitetail shed before!
Then last year I found the match to it. Over 300 yards from where the first was dropped.
What are the odds of that?? I haven't seen a moose in over 15 years!

Another treat was to stumble upon an old(1920s?) car in the middle of the woods. Be interesting to know how it got there or why it was left.
History I'll never have answers to. Can only wonder.
20150929_171944.jpg
20150929_171944.jpg
20150929_171930.jpg
20150929_171930.jpg
20151002_102249.jpg
20151002_102249.jpg
20151002_102229.jpg
20151002_102229.jpg

deercula
# Posted: 8 Oct 2015 05:05

An antler would not last 6 years in the forest. All of the rodent family will chew them to oblivion. I went to an outdoor show once and this guy had hundreds of deer sheds. I asked how he found them. He said "look". Asked if I ever found one. I said no. He asked if I ever looked. I said no. He said if you look you will find the them. That year I found three, and now have maybe a hundred in my collection. They are some of my prized possesions.Best to look in late winter, find most in bedding areas.

upndown
# Posted: 8 Oct 2015 10:55

Maybe the car belonged to Bigfoot? He must get tired of walking, after all he's been spotted everywhere.

creeky
# Posted: 8 Oct 2015 12:32

boy. some of those old body panels are worth a buck or two. you should check that out.

i went for a hike with a buddy who hunts deer. he's pointing out racks and bones and all kinds of bits ... man. i would never have seen them otherwize.

bigfoot. how about these mystery footprints I found last winter.
mysterycreature.jpg
mysterycreature.jpg

pizzadude
# Posted: 8 Oct 2015 13:06

Quoting: deercula
An antler would not last 6 years in the forest.

I wouldn't have thought so either. But there are very few moose where I live. Chance that a very similar antler from a different animal is extremely unlikely. And if from the same animal, the shed would have been much bigger in that span of time.
The one from last year is much weathered than the match, and the rodents did get to it, but only partially.

FishHog
# Posted: 8 Oct 2015 13:41

Quoting: pizzadude
And if from the same animal, the shed would have been much bigger in that span of time.

Not necessarily. Not all keep getting larger, in fact as the animal gets older they will start to get smaller. Lots has to do with the health of the animal and the nutrients available. Very conceivable to be the same animal. Or a different one with a similar rack. While there can be unique racks, there are lots of very similar racks also.

Not much chance its 6 years old in that shape. Much more likely another or the same animal from a more recent year.

still very cool

hattie
# Posted: 8 Oct 2015 13:58 - Edited by: hattie

We can't get up the mountain in late winter to look for sheds. I wish we could because I'd love to have some. Those ones you found are beautiful!!

We come across prospector's cabins and old vehicles. One time we found a jeep at the bottom of a steep cliff. We couldn't get down to it to see if anyone was inside but we took photos of it. After we told them about it, some guests of ours who happened to be search and rescue for another district actually went down on ropes to check it out. No bodies but some dried blood. They said it looked to be an old accident but sent photos of the license plate to the local RCMP. We never heard more so I suspect it was from years ago.

We also found part of an old child's shoe once. We kept it and have it on display in an outdoor cabinet we have here. A neighbour gave us a CPR water can that he found on the KVR rail bed. It is in pretty good shape and must be old as the tracks were pulled up decades ago. I guess it just worked its way to the surface.

drb777
# Posted: 8 Oct 2015 16:01

I found a bunch of small airplane pieces in one area on my acreage. Obviously from a plane since many were aluminum sheet with small rivits and plexiglass bits.
I mentioned them to some locals and they told me about a plane crash in the 1950's. And said their mothers had used some of the paracutes to make cloths. Since there was no large wreakage pieces, I suppose most was removed eary on.

pizzadude
# Posted: 8 Oct 2015 16:14

Quoting: FishHog
Not all keep getting larger, in fact as the animal gets older they will start to get smaller.

Very true. From what I've seen before with aging moose is that their paddles tend to round out as they get up in years. These sheds seem to me to be that of a younger mature bull. But I'm no moose expert.
Idk. I recall my buddy shot a really good whitetal buck some years ago, lost the bloodtrail and ultimately lost the buck too. 5 years later he found the skull. Antlers still fully intact, with very little gnawing from critters.

Quoting: drb777

I found a bunch of small airplane pieces in one area on my acreage. Obviously from a plane since many were aluminum sheet with small rivits and plexiglass bits.
I mentioned them to some locals and they told me about a plane crash in the 1950's. And said their mothers had used some of the paracutes to make cloths. Since there was no large wreakage pieces, I suppose most was removed eary on.

Wow.
Now there's something you don't find every day.

rayyy
# Posted: 11 Oct 2015 17:29

Very nice find.I have found a pile of old tires,an old rabbit hutch,a pile of old lumber,beer cans,an old car fender,bed springs,old bicycle frames.downed half rotten pine trees,shot gun shell caseings,pile of old pallets,a 50 foot length of old well 1" black iron pipe.,,,Nothing of value.Sooner or later I will stumble upon a great big pile of gold bars in my woods but I need to keep looking.

smallworks
# Posted: 27 Oct 2015 23:44

Not at our place, but we once found a box of shells (ammo) from WWII on the beach at Cape Cod in the winter. The dune had eroded and the box was just sitting there. I thought, "Krugerrands from Africa", hooray- until we opened it and the stench was unbelievable.
Yuk. My husband put a few in the trunk and gave 'em to his friends.

Quoting: rayyy
Sooner or later I will stumble upon a great big pile of gold bars in my woods but I need to keep looking.

In England not too long ago, someone stumbled across one of the biggest archeological finds of the century- a mound of literally thousands of pieces of armor, jewelry and cross-cultural indications of trade from the Middle Ages. This stuff is fascinating.

smallworks
# Posted: 27 Oct 2015 23:51

Also, a projectile point on the banks of the St Regis River. Weird, but I had the feeling I'd find one right before I did. First and last to date.

creeky
# Posted: 28 Oct 2015 09:35

I dug up a huge pile of electrical cables. 200 ft armoured. etc. when clearing up the previous owners stuff. that was a nice find. have used a lot of it wiring up my buildings and solar system. still have about 75 feet armoured.

hiking on the island of Crete I noticed a little cave with trees. checking it out I found machine gun bullets on a ledge. and up above the cave was a mini cave. Just big enough to curl up in. Inside was a fliers leather helmet. This stuff was from WWII I'm figuring.

Derby42
# Posted: 28 Oct 2015 13:04

I think how long a shed lasts can really depend on the rodent population and possibly how bad they are needing minerals. I have seen sheds that are chewed up just a few weeks after they drop and others that lay for a year and don't get chewed.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 29 Oct 2015 08:44

My property housed the water way and electrical generating station for an old gold mine in the 1920's. We are always finding neat things like glass insulators, pieces of metal rod that wrapped the wooden waterways, bolts etc. My kids always called them artifacts. This past thanksgiving my niece found a piece of old stove pipe in the area an old house stood a hundred years ago. One time my son when he was young brought back a metal stake and said "look an artifact." It turned out to be one of the survey stakes marking the edge of my property and of course he didn't remember where exactly he found it.

Coastal
# Posted: 30 Oct 2015 00:20

No man made treasures yet..... But I found one of the best treasures of all yesterday.... My own gravel pit! This is the first load out.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.