Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Outdoor Brick Ovens
. 1 . 2 . >>
OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 12 Oct 2015 08:57

Man, I want to build one of these at my cabin so bad that I can taste it.

https://youtu.be/O0vFsRCqOJ4

Problem is, first I need to finish my cabin, my latrine and my shower. Or maybe I should just build the brick oven and finish the cabin later

Do you have one at your cabin? I'd love to see the pics of the ovens and the food.

littlehouseontheprarie
# Posted: 12 Oct 2015 11:59

I love it..That is a must have.But like you I need to finish too many projects.
Maybe one day

leonk
# Posted: 12 Oct 2015 12:04

I have one at home, it's not brick, but mostly clay.
There's a lot of good resources on the net how to build it.
I use mine for pizza, sometimes bread and smoking chicken.
Oh, pork BBQ is amazing (pulled pork).

hattie
# Posted: 12 Oct 2015 12:22

That looks amazing!!

gunner1198
# Posted: 12 Oct 2015 13:06

http://www.instructables.com/id/Brick-Barbeque/

One day.... I will have something of this nature. Grill, BBQ, smoker, and oven

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 12 Oct 2015 21:37

I want one big time!

Don_P
# Posted: 13 Oct 2015 08:53

I've been curious, as a quick hack would it work to take a large chimney flue tile on its' side, block one end with firebrick, reduce the opening and stack up a short chimney at the mouth using more loose firebrick, I suppose a layer of brick stacked and laid around the tile... and fire it up?

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 13 Oct 2015 20:55

Sounds like it would be kinda small. Isn't a chimney flue only about 8" ID?

From what I have been reading, the most popular size is around 40 inches.

Have some pizza
https://youtu.be/d_QnI6TKlFM

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 13 Oct 2015 20:59

I think you can build one for around $600-$700 if you do the work yourself.

I'm not looking to build a Taj Mahal brick oven. Just one big enough to do one or two pizzas and 5 gallons of beans.

bldginsp
# Posted: 13 Oct 2015 23:19

In the 1990s at Giza in Egypt archeologists discovered remains of dozens of such ovens in a complex of buildings that must have served to supply the builders of the Great Pyramid. Gotta keep the troops fed.

So, maybe you should finish your oven first so you can feed yourself while building your cabin. Some things never change.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 14 Oct 2015 04:25

Indian restaurants have clay ovens to bake their naan bread. I don't know if they use them for anything else. I LOVE Indian food.

leonk
# Posted: 14 Oct 2015 09:26 - Edited by: leonk

Indian oven (tandoor) is vertical.
Mine cost under $200, because I bought the clay and firebricks, if build from local clay, it's half that.

It was a test build and SWMBO is not happy with the looks, but it's still here ;)
I got rid of the metal pipe since then

tverga
# Posted: 14 Oct 2015 13:25

I built this one last year, cooks great but you will be surprised how much wood it takes to heat up to pizza temp. Well worth the investment.

[img=null]null[/img]
IMAG0258.jpg
IMAG0258.jpg
IMAG0245.jpg
IMAG0245.jpg
IMAG0337.jpg
IMAG0337.jpg

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 14 Oct 2015 18:59 - Edited by: OutdoorFanatic

Quoting: bldginsp
In the 1990s at Giza in Egypt archeologists discovered remains of dozens of such ovens in a complex of buildings that must have served to supply the builders of the Great Pyramid. Gotta keep the troops fed.

So, maybe you should finish your oven first so you can feed yourself while building your cabin. Some things never change.

Haha! I knew there was an answer. But Man! I'd have to curl up around the thing to stay warm while looking at an unfinished cabin. What I need is a good buddy who will work for food. Or beer.

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 14 Oct 2015 19:04

Quoting: leonk
Indian oven (tandoor) is vertical.
Mine cost under $200, because I bought the clay and firebricks, if build from local clay, it's half that.

NICE! And know what? This is all I would need. Looks like plenty of room for a pizza in there.

Only thing I need to watch out for is the same as when I had my boat.
I had more friends than you could shake a stick at.

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 14 Oct 2015 19:11

Quoting: tverga
I built this one last year, cooks great but you will be surprised how much wood it takes to heat up to pizza temp. Well worth the investment.

Very Nice Too!
Yeah, I can imagine that it takes awhile. But! Thats just the price I'm going to have to pay for some killer baked beans.~

MtnDon
# Posted: 14 Oct 2015 19:13

Native American tribes here in the SW used outdoor ovens, known as kivas, for hundereds of years past. They are still in use daily on many of the pueblos here.

Link to what they look like. No chimneys, some use a flat rock to cover the hole in the top when not in use. A larger flat rock or wood slab "door" to cover the main side opening when not in use.

upndown
# Posted: 14 Oct 2015 22:01

I make my pizzas with my Weber. Beans, chili, peach cobbler etc in my Dutch ovens. Alot less work and taste pretty darn good! Curious what you come up with.

upndown
# Posted: 14 Oct 2015 22:02

I make my pizzas with my Weber. Beans, chili, peach cobbler etc in my Dutch ovens. Alot less work and taste pretty darn good! Curious what you come up with.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 15 Oct 2015 01:36

I like the design in this video, I plan on building one until I have time to build a permeant one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1QToDg3Ow0

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 18 Oct 2015 09:23 - Edited by: OutdoorFanatic

I'm thinking that I like this one. I wont plan on moving it.
brickoven
brickoven

Topper
# Posted: 22 Jan 2016 15:11

A quickie outdoor oven.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPQVFQmwZMU

Topper
# Posted: 22 Jan 2016 15:15

Even quicker. Bean hole beans.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bean+hole+cooking&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbo=u&sou rce=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi9qYfgnb7KAhVC1GMKHQNADG4QsAQIPg

tverga
# Posted: 22 Jan 2016 16:08 - Edited by: tverga

Quoting: OutdoorFanatic

Very Nice Too!
Yeah, I can imagine that it takes awhile. But! Thats just the price I'm going to have to pay for some killer baked beans.~

Killer Beans, Chicken, Veggies, Pizzas Bread but the best is the Tomato Sauce!!! OH YEA and the Steaks, Black and Blue!
IMAG04151.jpg
IMAG04151.jpg
IMAG04451.jpg
IMAG04451.jpg
IMAG08021.jpg
IMAG08021.jpg

Don_P
# Posted: 22 Jan 2016 19:45

Quoting: bldginspIn the 1990s at Giza in Egypt archeologists discovered remains of dozens of such ovens in a complex of buildings that must have served to supply the builders of the Great Pyramid. Gotta keep the troops fed.So, maybe you should finish your oven first so you can feed yourself while building your cabin. Some things never change.Haha! I knew there was an answer. But Man! I'd have to curl up around the thing to stay warm while looking at an unfinished cabin. What I need is a good buddy who will work for food. Or beer.

Well, they've found beer making supplies at the pyramid site and an account of the Isrealites going on strike when the ration was late. So now we know the rest of the story, the pyramids were built on beer and pizza. The more things change...

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 22 Jan 2016 22:05 - Edited by: OutdoorFanatic

[quote=tverga]Killer Beans, Chicken, Veggies, Pizzas Bread but the best is the Tomato Sauce!!! OH YEA and the Steaks, Black and Blue!

You had to do this, huh? Tomato sauce looks awesome!
Still trying to decide if I should build my latrine or brick oven first.

tverga
# Posted: 25 Jan 2016 18:47

You had to do this, huh? Tomato sauce looks awesome!
Still trying to decide if I should build my latrine or brick oven first.

If you are going to build a brick oven it takes twice as long as you think it will, oh and twice the money.

The latrine is a hole in the ground with a shipping crate on top. If you have clay soil you could make a clay oven with the soil you dig from the latrine... Hmmm.. something to ponder....

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 25 Jan 2016 20:15

If you have clay soil you could make a clay oven with the soil you dig from the latrine...

No clay here Tverga, lots of rocks though. Big rocks little rocks round rocks square rocks pointy rocks.
I own a lot of rocks. The good thing is though that under all those rocks is nice gravel and good drainage.

Maybe I'll just take one of those big rocks and chisel an oven out of it.

Jebediah
# Posted: 26 Jan 2016 06:06 - Edited by: Jebediah

I have several of these left over from my dug well.
DSC00821.JPG
DSC00821.JPG
DSC00822.JPG
DSC00822.JPG

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 26 Jan 2016 07:21

Does a rock oven count? My buddies and I baked chicken in a rock oven. It was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Io9xEooXE

After the video... we then took the rocks from the ground and reconstructed the oven so that it can be used again. Worked like a champ.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.