Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / All by myself
Wilbour
# Posted: 20 Oct 2015 11:01

If there is one thing I have learned over the years it's that if you wait for someone to help you out, the project will take for ever. In an unrelated situation I asked for a ride from the airport after a short vacation. One day before our departure my ride backed out. That was the final straw and I decided to take matters in my own hands.

The following weekend I was tasked with installing a large window in our cabin. I figured I would need some help but recalling my experience with help not showing up I decided to do it all by my self. The good news is that I did it and it looks great!

I continue to surprise myself on all the tasks I have completed without assistance. Sometimes you just have to take the plunge. The bonus is standing back and admiring your own work.

The older I get the less I rely on others and start to see the benefits of being self reliant.

suburbancowboy
# Posted: 20 Oct 2015 11:21

Amen. I built my cabin 95% by myself. I quickly discovered it was more work to get others to come help than to do it myself. As a wise man once said, "The only person that you can trust is yourself. At least most of the time."

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 20 Oct 2015 12:10

Feel your pain.
I am installing a new wood stove this weekend. My wife is busy and I want it in ASAP. Should be fun moving the old one and installing the new one myself. I am sure it will be just fine.

Wilbour
# Posted: 20 Oct 2015 12:39 - Edited by: Wilbour

Quoting: littlesalmon4
I am sure it will be just fine.

And if it isn't fine, your the only one who will know

bobrok
# Posted: 20 Oct 2015 12:56

Re: doing it by yourself. Wow, have I learned how to do things alone. Not that I have a problem with no-shows, but rather there's just nobody around to help.

Period.

I've "discovered" the principles of lift, balance, leverage, torque, weight distribution, etc. by simply realizing that if I want it hoisted, moved, repositioned, loaded or whatever, it ain't gonna get done unless yours truly does it.

I take my time, give it thought and reason, and apply the necessary movements to accomplish said task.

Amazing how that works. And safely, too, I might add.

I am my own best helper.

creeky
# Posted: 20 Oct 2015 14:42

I have a couple of reliable friends. The lever and my helper, Al (my tractor). As long as I feed him and treat him right he's pretty amazing.

That appreciated: I built the solar shed (8x8), the shizzer shack (8x16) and the chalet (10x14) on my own.

Now my camp is pretty much done and I can look at it and know that I carried in every piece of wood. Cut it. Fitted it. Nailed it. All according to my own plans.

And it all works. What beats that.

(I have two kitchen cabinets to install. One of the mounting screws stripped. And hey, guess what. I have to lower everything 1" to get the cabinets to fit. Back to drilling out that screw.)

neb
# Posted: 20 Oct 2015 21:00

Yes I can relate to what you are saying. I too built my cabin alone the whole shooting match. It is amazing what a person can do by your self. It can be done but need an imagination and creativity and a desire to do it. Great job!

upndown
# Posted: 20 Oct 2015 21:59

I have three I can always count on..Me, Myself and I. Sometimes they're iffy as well.

Wilbour
# Posted: 21 Oct 2015 08:11

This is starting to sound like the classic "Little Red Hen" story from our childhood. The only difference is in the story the hen eats all the bread by herself, whereas we will most likely share our cabin with all those who would not/could not show up to lend a hand.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 21 Oct 2015 11:50

Like you guys, I have completed a ton of projects by myself but by choice. I did have some help when making my log cabin sauna but the majority was done by me. I have no problem going to the cabin alone, getting up early and working away at my pace, eating when I want or stopping when I want. Sure help is appreciated but that usually means making a big breakfast for everyone, lunch and stopping early for a big dinner. I'm way more productive on my own! There are some things I can't do on my own and when I ask, people are usually pretty good at helping out in exchange for a free place to stay! But I enjoy the peace of doing things on my own.
Besides I have way more time off at work than my wife, friends etc and if I waited for help, things would not get done!

Donkeydave
# Posted: 21 Oct 2015 14:34 - Edited by: Donkeydave

I'm going to start building in the spring but I'm an old geezer so the idea of digging twelve 36" holes for the posts is kind of daunting so I might enlist some help there. I also might need help with the roofing. Otherwise I'd rather not have anyone else in the way. Too often there's someone who knows less than you who wants to tell you how to do it.
The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your arm.

beachman
# Posted: 21 Oct 2015 17:52

Well said Bobrok, and everybody else. Love the reference to "The Little Red Hen". I sometimes wonder who will pick up the torch. I can still lift motors, propane tanks, generators, etc.. but time will take it's toll eventually.

Steve_S
# Posted: 21 Oct 2015 19:56

Indeed one can only count on "Me, Myself & I" such as they are... I likes to supervise, Myself does all the work and Me runs around doing everything else. FORTUNATELY I have a Wonder Girlfriend and she's always ready to lift, haul or hammer when she's here...

As for "outside help" Sheesh.... 3 No Shows, 1 show BUT didn't do much at all for 2 days... and then wanted $17 per hour... Yup, Uh-hum...

This weekend we have a couple of friends coming up to help setup the walls which Maggie and I are presently building in modules... 6 More modules to do before Saturday.

@Beachman, yeah... it does catch up and even worse, the body will TELL you your over doing it when you think you still can keep up the 25 year olds pace... Geez, I am having an extremely difficult time readjusting to my current physical realities.

drb777
# Posted: 21 Oct 2015 22:46 - Edited by: drb777

My cabin was 100% a solo build. From clearing the land to the finishing touches, just me. I realized before I started that no one I knew shared my interests, so no dissapointment.

Certainly a challenge at times, but very satisfying. Also, made me slow down & think through each part/phase. I had to be a bit clever in devising ways to tackle 2 person tasks. And the slower process required a safe manor, when rescue help is nowhere close.

The only downside as I see it, is realizing that certain little things aren't quite perfect.

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Oct 2015 05:46

By myself?

In the last ten or so years, the two times I was let alone, I think I almost gave my dear woman a heart attack.

Once, when she was at the store, I'd fashioned a sand chair to a homemade leveling platform on the roof so I could remodel a dormer window like I was in the comfort of my living room.

I was rather proud of that...until she got home and shrieked a bit, goin' on about what I woulda done if I lost balance and fell.

Almost fell the three stories from all the racket.

...and why I didn't have a cell phone with me. (???)
Who would I call, siri? Maybe ask directions back up to the roof?

The other time was here at the cabin.

She'd gone to town, and I needed the ladder steadied.
Thing is, the ladder was on the top tier of the scaffold.
So I just drilled a hole in the ladder and screwed it to the wall.

'OH MYYY GAWWWD!!' was her greeting.

Gettin' so I can't be left to git 'er done if I'm alone.

Only prollem is, if I incorporate her in the project, she sometimes ends up in the line of fire.

Bonked her in the head with a four by once.

Thought I'd have to put her down.

But after stumbling around for awhile she was OK....came to....went and made dinner.

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Sometimes it's best to be left alone

Steve_S
# Posted: 22 Oct 2015 06:41

Hahahaha Gary, maybe a 2x4 should fall on my head, might knock some sense into me but somehow I think the 2x4 would get damaged and we can't have that now, can we.

deryk
# Posted: 22 Oct 2015 12:05

Unless I happen to come into some money or when I sell my fiberglass camper I will be building the cabin myself. My friends, besides being an hour plus from where I live, and am looking at land 2-3 hours away from me it's not likely they will be helping out, unless I am throwing a party they will show up. So I accept I will be building it myself...hence it will be small.

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 22 Oct 2015 12:15

Don't get me wrong. I have had an incredible amount of help building our place. I have a great father in law who won't come and visit if there is not a project for him to do(oh boy do I have projects). I think my biggest problem is I am a planner and I don't deal well with I think I will be there or I might make it. Seems to be less stress to just plan to do it myself.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 22 Oct 2015 12:59

I had a good core group of buddies that volunteered to help me all through the build. At no cost to me and worked hard. They just enjoyed the experience. I fed them all and fed them well. It was a smoking deal. I did pay a professional builder to help me do the dried in shell. It took 9 days, at $40 an hour and I fed him too. It was a good investment. I had a pro do the foundation (full footing/stemwall) and a pro to install metal roofing and a pro to install the chimney/pipe from stove to spark arrestor.

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 22 Oct 2015 18:22

Dont worry! Just as soon as its built you will have plenty of friends.

creeky
# Posted: 23 Oct 2015 09:43

This topic kind of rings loud right now. I've had friends drop by and help with the odd thing. A buddy who helped me put windows in the washroom for instance.

But isn't part of the experience not needing help? Are we not self reliant hardy pioneer types? Nothing so daunting we can't get off our butts and attack it with manly vigour?

I had quite a few friends out this spring. Some overnighters. And I worked my behind off that there wouldn't be any chores to contend with while they were here. So we could just relax and enjoy.

littlesalmon, can we trade father in laws. My father in law comes out and expects the women folk to tend to him hand and foot. and then when we visit there, he's, Hey, can you ... and I mean I've done a thousand things for the guy. Some of them hard work. oh wait. i'm looking for a trade. he warms up the couch nice tho. and if you like uninformed opinions.

Borrego
# Posted: 23 Oct 2015 10:33

Quoting: Gary O
Thing is, the ladder was on the top tier of the scaffold.
So I just drilled a hole in the ladder and screwed it to the wall.

Kinda like this Gary???
images.jpg
images.jpg

Gary O
# Posted: 23 Oct 2015 11:55

Oh great.
I s'pose cabi will see this and have them flashbacks all over again....

but yeah, like that

NorthRick
# Posted: 23 Oct 2015 15:41

Careful. My coworker has a friend who was recently working from a ladder on a scaffold at his cabin and took a fall. 3 months in the hospital. Broken skull, broken shoulder, punctured lung, 9 broken ribs, etc.

You can get hurt real bad, real fast.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.