Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Axe handle question
. 1 . 2 . >>
neb
# Posted: 28 Feb 2016 17:37 - Edited by: neb

Went to the shack today to cut some wood and split wood. Well after I got a few loads up to the shack I started splitting and broke the old axe handle. My axe head is an oval shape opening will I need to find a handle that fits that exactly or when you drive the wood wedge it will form to the opening? Here are couple of pictures skidding some ash and the split wood in the shed. Thanks

Don_P
# Posted: 28 Feb 2016 18:24

It should be a fairly close fit and shape when slid into the axe eye. The wedge is for final tightening, you don't want to be stretching things so far it starts to split the handle. You can shape an oversized one.

Grain should be oriented so that the edge grain is front and back and the face grain is on the faces of the axe.

No more than 6 rings per inch when looking at the end grain. Tight grained old growth type wood in ring porous trees like hickory, oak, ash, etc are weaker than faster grown wider ringed trees, sort of counterintuitive.

neb
# Posted: 28 Feb 2016 18:51

Thanks Don P>>> I have replaced many handles but I have never did one for an axe. I can get one in town and ii is just right on length to fit the eye but width seems to be a little thin from the eye opening which is more oval. I will take in axe head and see if handle will work. Of course there is some rasping and some cutting that needs to be done also. The wooden wedge should spread it out. Thanks

old243
# Posted: 28 Feb 2016 19:52

While you are at the hardware store, check the price of an axe with a fiberglass handle. There might not be a lot of difference , from just the handle replacement. I went this route a few years ago. If you replace with a wood handle and use it as a splitting axe, Put a piece of belting or a piece of rad hose on the handle , next the head.Wire it on solidly. If you hit the block wrong , the rubber will protect the handle. old243

The Famous Grouse
# Posted: 28 Feb 2016 20:23

Quoting: neb
Well after I got a few loads up to the shack I started splitting and broke the old axe handle. My axe head is an oval shape opening will I need to find a handle that fits that exactly or when you drive the wood wedge it will form to the opening?

A couple of things that will make this easier.

First, replacement wood handles never fit exactly. You will never find a handle that's even close.

Handles are made oversized because the final shape needed will always be different. They are made to fit exactly by working them with a patternmaker's rasp, files, and other tools until you have the right fit.

You may also want to consider one of the many handle gaurds and wraps on the market to protect the handle near the head.

If you look on Youtube, there are lots of videos for replacing wooden handles. Also pay attention carefully to how both wooden and metal wedges are driven to keep things tight. Personally, I also use linseed oil as a final step to swell the head and give a rock solid fit.

Second suggestion is that you may want to consider trying a splitting maul instead of an ax for splitting wood. A maul may look more difficult to use because it's heavier, but that weight translates into more momentum and actually saves work. The traditional job of an ax was for felling and limbing, not splitting. I only split small kindling with an ax. Occasionally, I'd split frozen softwoods with an ax, but even that tends to go more quickly with a maul.

Look at the tools and the ways they were used in the old days. They knew what they were doing back then because using the right tool meant hours less of busting your buttski. I've heard lots of times guys commenting on why an old timer's shed was full of tools that seemed to be repetitive, but the truth was they all had their purpose. It's just sad that today we've lost so much knowledge of what that purpose was and why.

Grouse

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Feb 2016 20:27

I have never found a handle that fits perfectly. I get one that is a little bigger, grind it down to fit perfectly. A grinder is almost a must have, but not required.

neb
# Posted: 28 Feb 2016 20:44

Great ideas. Ya it isn't a major task but was sure if there were a lot of different shaped wood where it goes in the eye or not. I believe I can get one in town that will be over sized then it won't be an issue.

This old axe is maybe close to 100 years old or older. My grand father owned it and I'm really not sure if the handle has ever been replaced. It sat for 50 plus years and was never used. Lol I have split a lot of wood with it.

Don_P
# Posted: 28 Feb 2016 22:06

I'm not looking forward to making a new broadaxe handle for a very old one, I wrapped it with fiberglass and resin to extend its life. I've also done that with cant hook handles when they crack. It works but takes out a lot of the nice smooth shape that makes a wood handle more comfortable.

For splitting we still have an old 20lb monster maul, they carried the momentum thing about to the limit and then put a pipe handle on it. That way if you hit the handle wrong... remember those old Wiley Coyote cartoons?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 28 Feb 2016 22:19 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: Don_P
put a pipe handle on it

This afternoon --I cut off a piece of top rail ( chain link fence)galvanized pipe that someone welded on a double sided axe I bought at a estate sale. The axe is really old...took a cutting wheel on one of my angle grinders and the grinding wheel on the other for the job...finished it up with a flapper sanding disc on my angler grinder!!! It still had the wooden handle in the head as well...I going to bring it back to life with a nice wooden handle...straight grained hickory!!! Got the axe head soaking n apple cider vinegar tonight!!!

I picked up a few VINTAGE ~~~small hatchet heads...putting handles in them for my 3 GRANDboys for when they are older.
I love old axes and hatchets!!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 28 Feb 2016 22:23 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/field-notes/2013/11/how-restore-old-rusty-axe

Neb--so glad you are saving your grandfathers old axe....the metal was so much better back then...and that axe has family history as well!!

bldginsp
# Posted: 28 Feb 2016 22:28

I still have my grandfather' axe. I've replaced the handle 3 times and the head twice, but it's still grampa's axe.

neb
# Posted: 28 Feb 2016 22:50 - Edited by: neb

I was upset when It broke for that reason. I really don't think it ever was replaced. When I started using it I worked the wood over and oiled it up and it looked good.

Nothing lasts for ever just like life. I like axes and hatchets also. My dad had a few and to this day I don't know what happened to them.

TH >>> do you buy the handles or do you make them? Interesting story on handing down the hatchets to your grand boys. Very cool. I just hope I get just one of those one day. Lol

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 Feb 2016 07:42

TH >>> do you buy the handles

I usually pic up new handles at yard sale/estate sales etc....for future projects....like yesterday picked up a new splitting maul handle for 50 cents..lol....and I know where a perfect maul head to fit is is...I saw it at the junk store for $2 the other day...it will soon have a new handle..lol

ps//// it really hard to find tight grained handles at the hardware stores...you might find on excellent handle in a box of 20...
and NEB~~enjoy your last day on the J.O>B>!!!

neb
# Posted: 29 Feb 2016 08:56

TH>>> man those are some good deals. We had a trading post here at one time and I could find things like that but we don't have one around anymore.

I told the company I work for that last Friday would be my last day so today is my first day of vac. It has been nice so far up at 5 like usual but have really nothing planned I will let the day tell what to do. Lol

old243
# Posted: 29 Feb 2016 09:32

Neb Retired life is great. I asked my wife what she was going to do today. She thought for a second and said ,I don't know. My reply , was , Maybe I will do that too. Now that you have time , you can just putter around. old243

Just
# Posted: 29 Feb 2016 09:35

day tell what to do

Do something for the earth
Do something for your community
Do something for Her
Do something for neb
It's got me through ....
just just

neb
# Posted: 29 Feb 2016 09:40

Thanks guys some more great advise from the pro's! Lol

leonk
# Posted: 29 Feb 2016 17:44

I restore axes. There are places online where you can buy multitude of handles based on the dimensions of the 'eye'.
It was pointed to you there are tons of videos on the subject.
Achieve good fit, put in good wedge or two, you might glue them in with TB, I don't. Treat the handle with boiled linseed oil.
If you tend to miss, wrap the top part of the handle with something.
If you want backup - buy Fiscars splitting axe, they're well worth the money, even if you break the handle, they will replace it.

neb
# Posted: 29 Feb 2016 19:30

leonk >>> thanks I was thinking that there would be more then just a couple of sizes but could make them work. I will check that out. I walked to the store this morning thinking they would have some different handles they didn't. Walk was a mile and a half one way. I got a good walk in but was expecting to find one that would work, Lol

bldginsp
# Posted: 29 Feb 2016 19:40

Can you put Bondo in the gap?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 Feb 2016 20:19

I walked to the store this morning thinking they would have some different handles they didn't. Walk was a mile and a half one way. I got a good walk in but was expecting to find one that would work, Lol

dang NEB....first day retired and ya truck broke down????? dang.....lol

neb
# Posted: 1 Mar 2016 18:14

I thought I would just take a walk had nothing better to do. Trying to pace my self like you told me. lol

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 1 Mar 2016 19:56

I thought I would just take a walk had nothing better to do. Trying to pace my self like you told me. lol

I figured you were carving a AXE HANDLE today.....

old greybeard
# Posted: 2 Mar 2016 07:01

I just replaced 2 handles this winter. Picked up wooden handles at Lowes. USA made by AMES in PA. Seemed like decent straight wood. Slightly tight, only had to trim 1 a little. Had to use a hammer to pound head on followed by a wood wedge then a metal wedge at 45 degrees. We'll see how they hold up. I painted the head. The handles had a finish on them, I don't have any BLO but have some pure tung oil.
+1 on the maul, I only use the axes to make kindling and to split pine for a outside fire.

Don_P
# Posted: 2 Mar 2016 08:38

That is a lacquered handle, oil will not do anything. An unfinished handle needs sanding and oil, this is for a daily use handle, homeowners don't typically maintain handles so handles for that market get a coat of lacquer. They don't slip through your hand quite as well as an oil finished tool but if you don't use it all day every day it is one of those cost or hassle/benefit things.

...my memory of the max ring count for axe handle blanks seemed mighty low. A little checking turned up this good explanation and a better looking ring count.

Prejudice against red hickory has been built up in the past because of the association of red heartwood with slow-growth, mature trees. It is the slow growth, and the accompanying low percentage of summerwood and low density that are detrimental to the strength properties of hickory, not the red color. Exhaustive tests by the Forest Products Laboratory show that, "weight for weight, sound hickory has the same strength,
toughness, and resistance to shock, regardless of whether it is red, white, or mixed red and white."

The density of hickory is the best clue to its strength. Thus, for a given size of piece, grading (for strength) may be accomplished by weighing. Similarly, evidences of strength (density) may be obtained by determining the number of
growth rings per inch. Standards maintained by many handle- manufacturering concerns are such that wood showing more than 20 growth rings per inch is not acceptable for high-grade handle blocks.

neb
# Posted: 2 Mar 2016 08:56

Don_P >>> great information. Thank you.

1tentman
# Posted: 2 Mar 2016 11:51

This is a very interesting subject,have you guys noticed how much difference there is in handles, we use alot of sledge hammers in our business. My son will go to the farm store or the box store and go thru a dozen handles and maybe find 1 or 2 that he likes, he says dad they fit my hand perfect.Its kind of funny every time he goes in a store with replacement handles he will go thru the whole pile looking for that perfect fit. I guess its like having that favorite pair of work gloves if they fit your hands it makes the job a little easier.I enjoyed the quotes about grandpas axe, I also still have my grandpas double edge axe it brings back a lot of memories. Everybody have a good day and keep swinging those axes straight and true and save that favorite handle

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 5 Mar 2016 07:11 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: 1tentman
My son will go to the farm store or the box store and go thru a dozen handles and maybe find 1 or 2 that he likes, he says dad they fit my hand perfect.Its kind of funny every time he goes in a store with replacement handles he will go thru the whole pile looking for that perfect

confession ..lol bought a axe head at a estate sale yesterday ...for 1 dollar...and Thursday I bought a OLD 6lb maul head...looks more like a spitting wedge with a hole in it..had a hard life someone had welded and pipe on it ..but that was long gone...paid $2.50 for it...I had bought a 50 cent handle last weekend for so I took it into the junk store to find the perfect head to fit. Was amazed at all the different heads would NOT fit the handle. I went to HOME DEPOT yesterday I looked through over 20 handles....could not fine one to fit a axe...they were all junk!!! and $13.97....so I understand your Son going through the handles looking for the perfect ONE!!

NOTE~~~it's all Neb's fault for me buying axe heads and mauls AGAIN>>LOL for starting this thread!!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 5 Mar 2016 19:33 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Neb--here ya go!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBsbA6Z6DGk

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/11/12/how-to-carve-an-axe-handle-from-a-log/

neb
# Posted: 5 Mar 2016 20:34

Yep that is a good video on how to do it. I haven't done anything yet with the broken axe handle. It wouldn't be hard to make one either. Thanks TH

How are those axes you are working on? Lets see some pictures of the ones you are restoring sometime.

Thanks TH

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.