Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Looking for ideas
Shadyacres
# Posted: 7 Mar 2016 06:47

Hello, I plan on adding to my cabin on the back end which is 20 feet wide. I was going to go with a 12 X 18 as I think staying in 1 foot on either side would make the building line nicer ?? I also was going to go with the same pitch roof as is there now , it would just be a littler lower but also considered a single slope roof say 6/12 or so but then I would have problems on either side as I would have to slope the corners as I would not be able to go higher than the existing roof line. This is also where I was planning on using a concrete slab for the floor. Does anyone out there have and ideas that you could give me because I am not completely sure how I want to do this yet ?? I am attaching a pic that shows backside of cabin for more clarity on what I am talking about. Thanks for any input in advance.
MFDC0001.JPG
MFDC0001.JPG

Greenland South
# Posted: 7 Mar 2016 09:09

If it was me I would not put a shed roof on. Asthetics would be my biggest concern. An addition shouldn't look like an afterthought.
You may run into issues with a slab as well. How stable is the soil? If your slab moves independent of the existing structure you may wind up with cracked walls or uneven floors where you attach the two structures.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 7 Mar 2016 09:26

Thanks for the input Greenland , I am planning on putting a footer in about 3-4 feet below frost line and placing rebar into the basement of the cabin. Planning of going with 10 inch block with a 6 inch block on top to catch the slab. Also rebar or mesh in slab with 2 inch styofoam and plastic to ward off moisture. I am with you on the roof line, that is why I am greatly leaning toward the roof line to match cabin. Thanks again.

rockies
# Posted: 7 Mar 2016 20:21

Pulling the side walls in from the original walls would look nice but only doing it by one foot will result in the new roof being only slightly lower than the original (you'll still need the eave clearances to be about the same height as the original roof in order to walk under them and have proper sightlines out of the windows). What would look nice would be to continue the wall on the porch side outwards for the addition and then pull the opposite wall in by at least 4 feet on the other side. Match the new roof in pitch and width to the old roof and use the overhang to create a new covered porch on the side opposite the old porch.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.