Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Weed Razor
hueyjazz
# Posted: 14 Mar 2016 11:43 - Edited by: hueyjazz

Tis the season where I start thinking about cutting the weeds out off my 1/2 acre pond to a manageable level. For years I've been using Weed Razor which is a "V" rake of razor edges on the outer V. These you toss into the water and pull back. It does a very decent job of cutting weeds at their base. What it doesn't do well is pulling back the weeds you just cut.

Nor have I seen anything commercially available for doing such. So fulfilling this need I've invented something from a landscape rack and a pool floatie. If you need a little more weight to get better tosses out into the pond add some black iron pipe. Works great
IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0648.JPG
IMG_0648.JPG

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 15 Mar 2016 20:55 - Edited by: LoonWhisperer

Nicely done HJ! There is a commercial version (Lake Rake) but you saved yourself nearly $100!

I have been eyeing the weed razor myself (and the rake) but always stop short of pulling the trigger. We have a huge pond with lots of cat tails and it's really getting to me. Would you recommend this based on your experience?

hueyjazz
# Posted: 15 Mar 2016 21:15

Loon
Three things

1. Select the areas you want weeds gone as you never been able to keep up on a entire pond. Besides the fish like some decor
2. Use your body rather than your arms. I tie around waist and walk the rakes out. Keep razors sharp. My unit came with sharpener
3. Get weeds when they are young. Does the job on cat tails so I think you will be happy but it is a workout

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 16 Mar 2016 08:44

Good intel. Thanks

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.