Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Propane canisters
Wilbour
# Posted: 2 Apr 2016 14:34

I went to the cabin this week for an overnighter and could not remember how many green propane canisters I had at the cabin. So I went to Walmart and was shocked by the price. $5.97 per canister. Singles only. Canadian Tire wants $6.98 per.

Now I decided to buy a referrbished 5 lb for the stove. It will take me a year to recoup the cost of the tank and adapter but I also save the waste of the green canister

DaveBell
# Posted: 2 Apr 2016 15:14

I went to Target once when the average was $5.97 and they had them for about $2.20. I bought 20. Still haven't used them all up yet. There is a Youtube video on how to refill the little green ones from a larger tank.

bldginsp
# Posted: 2 Apr 2016 15:17 - Edited by: bldginsp

The small canisters can easily be refilled from 20 lb bottles with the correct fittings. I made such a gadget and have used it several times.

I read up on this a bit because some people said it is illegal. What I found is that it is illegal to refill propane canisters for interstate sale. But I don't believe it is illegal to refill them for personal use.

At my local outdoor store they sell a gadget for the purpose, but I made my own with a few fittings including a ball valve for more control.

Here's a link to Cabela's where they have the gadget

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Mr-Heater-Propane-Tank-Refill-Adapter/1151605.uts?prod uctVariantId=1662921&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=43-160969683-2&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id =GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03046991&rid=20

If anyone wants to see a pic of the gadget I made I'll drag it out and take a pic.

Think I paid $6 for a four pac at Lowes, but that was a year or two ago.

Steve_S
# Posted: 2 Apr 2016 15:49

I remember when you could just get your propane torch tank refilled too but that was a very long time ago. I looked at that adapter bldinsp and it's not available in Canada and can't be shipped here... go figure but who's to say a creative fella can't make his own ;)

I gave up on those green cans pretty quickly and got the hose adapter that let's you use regular 20/30 lb tanks. I got this one @ Canadian Tire on sale, mr-heater-propane-hose-5-ft

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 2 Apr 2016 19:38

Good points all here. My Wiseway pellet stove "starts" by manually heating up the pellet basket area for 2-3 minutes with a propane torch (or other device), which triggers the pellets to release and fire up.

I'd be reliant on those "little green canisters" daily if I used a propane torch. Is there another device I could use to apply heat to that steel that doesn't use the little green money burners or should I just buy the refill adapter and tap my big canisters?

bldginsp
# Posted: 2 Apr 2016 20:12

Well, I guess you could plumb gas line to the stove area and hook up a torch on a hose, or get one of those dinky 10 lb propane bottles that can be refilled at any propane supply, and keep it near the stove. One thing about the adapters is you have to turn the larger bottle you are filling from upside down to get it to fill the greenie with liquid, so it's impractical with 40lb or 100lb bottles.

creeky
# Posted: 2 Apr 2016 22:00

Julie2 I use a propane torch to light wood pellets to get my wood stove going in the morning. Easy. Fast. No mess. I use about 1-1.5 of those little tanks on a cold year.

I also have adapter hoses on my propane camp stove / Little Buddy to hook up standard 20 lb tanks. TSC in the states had the best price. But I imagine the TSC stores in Canada would be good too.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 2 Apr 2016 22:49

Oh, heck, that's not bad. I thought a propane torch would burn through one of those little bottles in a couple of days.

Jebediah
# Posted: 3 Apr 2016 13:15 - Edited by: Jebediah

There are refillable 1lb propane bottles. Nash fuels sells them. 42.00 on Ebay.
1lb propane bottle.
1lb propane bottle.

Don_P
# Posted: 3 Apr 2016 23:00

bldginsp, can you get liquid propane to flow out of a modern opd valve on a 20/30 lb cylinder? I've never tried but I thought that preventing that if a bottle tipped over was the reason for the newer valves.

bldginsp
# Posted: 4 Apr 2016 08:39

Hmm- good point- I did fill 2-3 with a newer 20 lb, not the old type that is illegal to fill. The 20lb was upside down to do so.

Are all the new ones the same design, since they originally made the change?

Wilbour
# Posted: 4 Apr 2016 17:05

Quoting: Steve_S

I gave up on those green cans pretty quickly and got the hose adapter that let's you use regular 20/30 lb tanks. I got this one @ Canadian Tire on sale, mr-heater-propane-hose-5-ft

I bought the generic one from Crappy. It's 4 ft and $19.99

Seems to be a lot of interest in refilling the green canisters. I prefer the idea of a 5-10 lb tank you fill at the gas station.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.