Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / radio
<< . 1 . 2 .
paulz
# Posted: 19 Feb 2018 12:12 - Edited by: paulz

Refining this car stereo setup in the cabin. I have a couple pairs of speakers. Do the bigger house speakers take more juice to run than the car speakers? Does volume knob control current consumption? Like to use the big speakers but not at price of battery usage. Neither says resistance.
1519060335121130232.jpg
1519060335121130232.jpg

SE Ohio
# Posted: 19 Feb 2018 14:35

Typically, more radio volume = more power consumption. A digital multi meter set for dc current can give you feedback on power consumption. My RV stereo uses ~10-20 milli-amps (IIRC) at normal volume levels in my cabin. Compare with 12 volt 12 watt LED that consumes 1 amp! I powered a porta-potty radio with some old path lamp solar cells (no batteries). When the sun hit the potty, it sang! I hope that scared a few tresspassers, but I digress. Radio power consumption can be quite small.

SE Ohio

paulz
# Posted: 19 Feb 2018 20:28

Thanks SE. I have an ammeter rigged up, I'll test it tomorrow. I think I was hearkening back to my younger days (last century) when we used to park the car, play the stereo and do the sort of things you do when parked. If you waited more than a few hours before starting the car it might not start.

paulz
# Posted: 21 Feb 2018 22:30

Hooked up my meter SE. Right you are, about .5ams at low volume, increasing to 1 at high volume.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.