Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Goose war
hueyjazz
# Posted: 25 Apr 2016 11:50

So year after year what we believe to be the same pair of geese enters our pond and starts a nest. Our pond has a feature that is attractive to this pair. We have a peninsula that stick out into the pond. Mom builds her nest at the tip and Pa hangs either across the way our in the pond keeping a 360 view of anything coming.

This year a pair of ducks came with the geese. No big deal they seems to have their own territories. I suspect the duck have a nest on the edge but have really looked for it.

The geese have been here for about three weeks now. This weekend another pair of geese try to invade. Pa wanted nothing of that. Saturday was spent by Pa chasing them either on land or water with aggressive postures.

By 1:00 I figure I would help. pa on one side and the dogs on me on the other while this pair of new geese squeak out words I can't say on TV at us but finally flew away.

But an hour later they came back. Pa and I did a dead run at them and they seemed to be gone for good.
However, after this Pa alone me more freedom than normal on the pond. Before any time I got closer than he was comfortable with it evoked a response. Now I was even allow to approach the nest without comment

I guess I'm a Goosefather now
IMG_0778.JPG
IMG_0778.JPG
IMG_0801.JPG
IMG_0801.JPG
IMG_0803.JPG
IMG_0803.JPG

hattie
# Posted: 25 Apr 2016 12:25

That is a great story. Congratulations "Father Goose".

bldginsp
# Posted: 25 Apr 2016 18:33

I guess the other geese got goosed.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 25 Apr 2016 19:57

Taking a "gander" at your pics, it seems Pa is ready to take "down" any birds who run "afowl" of his claimed rights! Glad he didn't have to "wing" it alone! Well done!

bldginsp
# Posted: 25 Apr 2016 20:02

This thread is getting pretty flighty.

rmak
# Posted: 25 Apr 2016 20:41

Julie, come on! Leave at least one pun for the rest of us...

On a serious note, I just talked to my neighbor's brother in law who is a avid outdoor/hunter guy. He saw some geese stopping by our pond the other day and suggested that if we didn't want geese the best way is to find the nest and shake the eggs and return them to the nest. That kills the embryo and the parent geese don't return. I don't have the heart to do that so I guess I might just have my own honk heaven soon.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 26 Apr 2016 00:01

Plenty of puns remain for the plucking, rmak!

Speaking of "honk heaven," I'm fascinated with place and street names and, boy, did someone go crazy with bird-related names around rural southern Oregon. My favorite is "Canadian Honkers Drive." Can you imagine having to give your address as Canadian Honkers Drive routinely to people NOT from the area? Hahahahahaha!

bldginsp
# Posted: 26 Apr 2016 00:20

That's better than 'Dodo Bird Lane"

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 26 Apr 2016 00:52

Or any nationality of a Hooters street. I'm rather surprised a male developer didn't throw in a Hooters street somewhere. Maybe because only a certain type of gal would agree to have that as her address, hahahaha.

bldginsp
# Posted: 26 Apr 2016 20:00

How about 'Yellow Bellied Bush Tit Drive'?

Now that's a flight of fancy.

Skirting the edges....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.