Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Fell In Love All Over Again
MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Apr 2016 18:13 - Edited by: MtnDon

A couple weeks ago, more or less, I had a mishap. I inadvertently knocked my miter saw off its stand where it was being used. It hit the concrete floor "just rifgt" ot maybe "just wrong" and broke the main casting near the pivot point. A few peripherals also broke; blade guard, handle cracked. I bought it new in '92. It had been a good workhorse.

Miters saws have changed a lot since '92. Sliding beds, lasers, and motor placement that increases depth of cut. After looking at every miter saw for sale in the biggish city across the river and several hours researching online I decided which to buy as a replacement.

If anyone is considering a sliding compound angle miter saw purchase, skip everything priced around $200. They all have faults that will lead to inaccuracy.

Today I received delivery of a Makita 1016L. 10" blade capacity. Laser indicator that switches easily for L or R side of blade. I've cut a few test pieces and am wowed. Oh, the soft start is wonderful; the saw doesn't jump at all when starting. Nor does it jump when stopping. Very smooth slide. Some online critiques stated they experienced a roughness. Makita uses an angle gear drive to get the motor up and out of the way to permit deeper cuts. No belts like some makes.

It's bigger, wider than the old saw. Takes up more bench space. Lots of aluminum so it is also lighter and that makes moving it nicer. Convenient lift and carry handle.
Makita 1016L
Makita 1016L

Littlecooner
# Posted: 27 Apr 2016 18:23

Spring is in the air and that is when love blooms.

As for me, I prefer them about 5"8" and long dark hair, about 130 pounds, but to each his own. Nights in the high desert mountains can be cold and lonely.

Does the laser switch allow for both eyes to be open at once or only one at a time? I have a preference for that jump when starting, but then, to each his own.

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Apr 2016 18:55

It is a sweet saw, though not as sweet as Karen. She even approves, thinks it looks good. And she guessed the price to within $25 and still said Okay

Quoting: Littlecooner
Does the laser switch allow for both eyes to be open at once or only one at a time?

Not sure I understand the query... The laser slides L / R. I cut with two eyes open.

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Apr 2016 23:07

One other thing I've noticed... this saw is much quieter than the old one, or my table saw for that matter. The blade runs at 3200 RPM, slower than the free air speed of many other saws. That's part of the soft start system. The electronic motor control maintains the speed as cuts are made. Many other saws run the blade at a higher speed, as much as 1000 more rpm's, knowing the blade will slow under load. I cut a piece of 2 x7 scrap oak and it did not seem to slow at all, unlike the older saw.

FishHog
# Posted: 28 Apr 2016 08:15

beautiful. Nothing like a quality tool to make you appreciate why spending more up front is usually the best bet. I'm just finishing up new hard wood floor in the house and the entire way through I was secretly hoping my miter saw would pack it in so I could get a new one. Its a 25 yr old craftsman, but I got to give it credit, its still going strong and got through the job without a hitch. Sure its not as nice as the younger models, but there is also something to be said for the one you have been with so long that you tend to take her for granted.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.