Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Natural resources that can be used for everyday uses
. 1 . 2 . >>
neb
# Posted: 15 May 2016 18:56 - Edited by: neb

The last few days I have been going to the cabin and cleaning and cutting grass etc. I was wondering if anyone else uses turkey wing feathers for a whisk hand broom? I have used them through the years and work very nicely to clean and get in tight areas. They actually work better then any bought small hand broom. The wing feather need to be dried closed when the bird was harvested.

Does anyone else have an ideas or things that you use that is natural or something that can be used that most just throw away?

Just
# Posted: 15 May 2016 20:18

Good one, neb .

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 15 May 2016 20:52 - Edited by: Julie2Oregon

Wow, that's really cool! Makes sense, too. As I recall, dusters were once made of feathers; hence, the term "feather dusters."

I repurpose a lot for my gardening. I have a small, covered bin in my kitchen for my used coffee grounds, egg shells, tea leaves, and non-fibrous veggie waste. By the time the bin is full, it's become gorgeous "soil" for my plants. I also use newspapers like "landscaping fabric" in new beds to prevent weeds. Dig up the bed, plant the flowers or veg, put down layers of newspaper, and some fresh topsoil and rocks or bark mulch on top. Works a treat!

Ooops, forgot one. When it's time to transplant seedlings into the ground, I make sure I'm careful of how I crack eggs I'm using, lol, and just crack open the top third. The eggshell makes a perfect little planter for seedlings! Put a bit of dirt inside, the seedling, and then plant the eggshell/seedling in the ground, cracking the bottom of the eggshell a bit so the roots can push through. The eggshell provides nutrients and protection for the plant and eventually disintegrates.

Don_P
# Posted: 15 May 2016 21:11 - Edited by: Don_P

Turkey feathers are the ticket for cleaning the coils on a fridge.

I had the bobcat and Hilti in the roots of the mountain today. A huge rock that has pinched the driveway for years is going away. The rocks went up to the high tunnel to make a retaining wall for a better drive to the entrance.

I used it to move the sawdust and planer shavings from the mill to the various gardens. Similar to Julie we put down paper or this time I have the long narrow boxes that prefinished flooring came in. Anyway, that on the soil as a weedblock then a heavy cover of dust. Composting wood ties up nitrogen but by the time it leaves the pathway it's done. Locust timbers have 3 grades, structural timber, fencepost, raised bed edging. That or low rock walls from garden derocking retain the sawdust pathways. They're much more comfortable to kneel or sit on.

I'll wander through the beech thicket tomorrow for tomato stakes, orders were to get 100. Somehow I think the cutting and pointing will be the easy part of that task

neb
# Posted: 15 May 2016 23:05 - Edited by: neb

Excellent tips on what we can use and not be wasteful. For me it is fun to be creative and use what we have and to build and use imagination.

I remember when I was very young boy my grandfather had turkey wing feathers for dusting. I remember asking what they were used for and thought that was a great idea.

One other thing that works good if you want to have night crawlers for fishing at all times. What you do is find a place that is fairly shaded then work in mulch and add all your coffee grounds in the ground. Then cover this area with some old throw rugs and keep the ground wet all the time. When you want to fish remove rugs and the night crawlers will be there for the picking.

Jebediah
# Posted: 16 May 2016 08:53

When I bought my place there were boxes and boxes of pine cones, I guess the previous owner used them as a fire starter. I haven't tried them yet.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 16 May 2016 11:46

It's amazing to me that we have become a society of disposables even though we talk of going green. Pop and milk bottle use to be glass and got washed and returned.

Consumer packaging is a joke. I can recall when many items had no packaging

People don't fix things, they toss it and buy another. Worse yet, items aren't be designed to be fixed. I use to like Sears because they provided such excellent prints and repair parts.

We are geared towards latest and greatest so we discard working electronics so we can get the latest smart phone?

Grandpa was way greener than anyone I know at present. perhaps that was because he and my father lived through the depression.

hattie
# Posted: 16 May 2016 12:30

Quoting: hueyjazz
It's amazing to me that we have become a society of disposables even though we talk of going green. Pop and milk bottle use to be glass and got washed and returned.

I absolutely agree with you on this one. We try to be as green as we can here at our cabin. One day I thought I'd ban plastic. HAHAHAHAHAHA....After looking around a bit I realized that was IMPOSSIBLE!! Everything is plastic today!!

We cut up plastic milk jugs and use them as scoops to put out bird seed. After they get chewed up (literally because our dog retrieves the empty scoop and puts it back in the shed for me) I take them to the recycle at the dump.

No cell phones for us here. I can't believe how people are so addicted to them and how much they are willing to pay every month. Let's be honest - when you use a cell phone the connection is usually terrible! I have a very old wall mounted phone here and it works just great!

I guess I got off track here with the thread - sorry!

At our camp we used some tree stumps and an old piece of wood we found in the bush to make a really nice bench out of. It overlooks the river and we love it.

Rocks were used to put tightly around our outhouse at the camp. We used to have a real problem with packrats getting in there. Since we did that we have never had a problem again!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 16 May 2016 13:29 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

We used a slab of limestone removed from DH's family century farmhouse to build a bench complete with a base of stone from our land.

Used the white cedar trees growing on our land to build our cabin and as posts for our water tower and shower. Built interior and exterior steps with half logs.

Our outdoor shower was built entirely out of leftover building supplies from our cabin build.

We have a small rock quarry on our land used the stone to make a path from the lake to the cabin.

We plan on using more building materials from our land,posts and branches for our railings in the loft,stone for the gas stove base,stone on the bottom of our four season porch and whatever else we decide to do in the future.

Whenever possible we have used what our land offers us by way of building materials. This saves us money and helps keep the rustic look we like.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 16 May 2016 16:04

Guess I got off track from what the discussion was supposed to be.
The resources I use most and often are as follows at my camp. Flat rock from my stream bed. I used this for the wall behind my wood stove, fences, and walkways.

Next on the list is lumber. I got plenty of oak and maple trees and I'm surrounded by saw mills.

Last, I've got the Amish. I like supporting the local economy. As a profession I run large industrial facilities. I'm pretty use to drawing up prints and schedules and working from such to get what I want.
Well, let's say my first job contracting with the Amish came with some awkward moments but I've now become more like them and they have become more like me.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 16 May 2016 21:16

Our cabin was built from trees cut off the land. I also built my log sauna from trees I cut down. I just built a big wood shed this past week with tres from the land and started filling it with wood. We have retaining walls with rocks from the land and I used flat rocks for my hearth for the wood stove in the sauna I love building things with materials from the land!

old243
# Posted: 16 May 2016 22:15

I have a gravel ridge, this week I hauled some gravel from it and fixed my road. old243

bldginsp
# Posted: 16 May 2016 22:56

I originally planned to use local rock to make a rock and mortar foundation for my cabin. But here in earthquake country that won't fly with the building codes so I poured concrete. I did, however, get 28 rafters for my cabin from the trees on the property. As well, been successfully harvesting rainwater off a roof for 4-5 years now, but that goes by the wayside as my well comes on line.

Here in the California Sierras are plenty native rose plants that make little rose hips. I've harvested a few and eaten them. I'm thinking about trying to grow them over the septic drainfield to harvest the hips and make tea. Not much else edible in these dry yellow pine forests, unless you want to eat acorns.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 17 May 2016 06:25

Natural resources I use at my cabin come in the form of foraging for food. While i don't use it to sustain myself for any long period of time... I do enjoy wild edibles. Mushrooms, Wild Asparagus, Pawpaw fruit, Spepherdia berries, etc... each year I learn more about what the land is already producing.

Like others, we also use river stone to build retaining walls.

creeky
# Posted: 17 May 2016 09:25

I do wild harvest. Been one the highlights of spring. Plantain in the morning smoothy. Snacking on nettle tips. Reminds me, the morels must be up as asparagus has started.

I've also hauled a few tonnes of gravel from a seam I found. Added that to the road entrance. Used some large rocks as landings. Haven't got so ambitious as to do walls. On the list tho.

Used various trees for this and that. Fences, poles.

And of course there's the ongoing harvest of sunshine. I've use those electrons every day.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 17 May 2016 11:58

I have to admit I do study the plants, roots, animals, etc. on my land for edibles.
I think it the survival instinct in me. Certain friends and family do know my camp is the Alamo if the SHTF.
With the plant life, wildlife and abundant water supply, a little education prepares us for how we could continue without civilization as we know it now.
My original relatives came to this land with very little and made it work. I would hope that I'm not so soft now that I couldn't revert. As long as I got yeast and natural sugar supply I can still make beverage.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 17 May 2016 17:02

Creeky / Huey...

I'm reading Peterson's field guide of wild edible plants... often looking for plants on my property, but also wishing I had plants that I see in the book.

Have you ever traded any wild plants with others who are into edible plants? Any good forums or online resources to exchange?

There is lady in VA that teaches foraging for edible plants... I was thinking that some day I'll hire her to teach a class on my property... this way, she gets some income from her time, and I get to find the plants growing on my property.

Thanks, Rich

Don_P
# Posted: 18 May 2016 00:56 - Edited by: Don_P

I attended a talk from a VT grad student last night on forest farming, looking at the vertical layers that one can "farm" in a young succession planted forest, mostly geared toward urban renewal but applicable anywhere, interesting stuff. Rich, come down to the Mt Rogers Naturalist Rally some time, it was weekend before last. I think Grandfather Mt's is this weekend.

Well it started raining shortly after I got into the woods looking for mater stakes. That section is a beech/birch climax forest type, the birches are black, or sweet, birch. I had gathered about a dozen of them on the perimeter and took everything to the shop to work on them in the rain. Using a power planer I pointed the ends and reduced the diameter at the top so that they slid up into the post driver easily.

Sweet birch is tapped for making birch beer, think root beer if you don't know the smell. The shop will clear your sinuses right now. I believe the oil from the bark was also used in some types of tanning. A quick chew on the bark is a good breath freshener. Pouring apple cider through a loose woven mat of birch bark is one way to produce the mother for vinegar.

It is also one of those trees that readily shows something neat that most trees do to a greater or lesser degree. If you peel back the thin outer bark, the inner bark is green, chlorophyll. These trees photosynthesize through the bark as well as the leaves. When the leaves fall the tree doesn't shut down completely, it is slowly chugging along on that closer power. The little horizontal white lines, lenticels, across the bark serve the same respiratory function as the stoma on the underside of leaves, the let it breathe.

The older members of this little grove I'll bet would date to just about the time Smokey Bear was born. Quick fires usually thin or take out these thin barked trees in favor of thicker barked oaks etc.
sweetbirchop.jpg
sweetbirchop.jpg

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 18 May 2016 06:45 - Edited by: RichInTheUSA

DonP, What's the name of the person from VT doing forest farming? I'd like to be in contact to understand what they are doing at the university. Are there any materials? Power points? Was the talk video taped?

I've read the book "Farming the Woods" by Mudge and Gabriel which is all about forest farming... just trying to learn more.

-----
After a quick google search for "forest farming virginia tech"... it was easy to find the work they are doing. See http://articles.extension.org/forest_farming

Thanks

Don_P
# Posted: 18 May 2016 09:10

Looking down the left sidebar on that page I see some familiar names that are great resources for our area, Jeanine Davis, NCSU, and Jim Chamberlain, VT... Dr Goodramps. He is the advisor to the grad students that we have been involved with. He could probably put you in touch with someone local. There is enough interest here that things are beginning to come together. I saw an email come through this morning that my wife is in on a cohosh conference call with Penn State tomorrow. That's one we seem to grow well in the woods already. By planting and harvesting it can help keep pressure off of native areas from wild overharvesting, especially as markets grow for some of these plant materials.

creeky
# Posted: 18 May 2016 11:43

Hey Rich,

I've gone the slow but steady route. I meet people and learn something from each of them. Over the years the knowledge and experience builds up. Huzzah.

One woman who sped things up a bit I met at a farmer's market. She has a "wild harvest" stall. I'd recommend checking at your local market to see if anyone is doing wild harvest.

As well as some new to me mushrooms, I learned all about milk weed from her. And I can't wait for milkweed season now. The pods are really amazing.

I've done a lot of milkweed support (planting and spreading) starting about 15 years ago. It was a real treat to learn that all that work I put into monarch butterfly growth is now also feeding me.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 18 May 2016 11:56 - Edited by: hueyjazz

Rich
I would gear your readings on books specifically written for your general local. With that being said one of the best books I've read is John Wiseman's SAS Survival handbook, 3rd edition.
This book is extremely comprehensive and gives techniques in finding food by logical sampling and testing. But it's also a good field book on many levels for survival.

Relocating trimmings and cutting of plant to your woods is going to be difficult on any grand scale. In general, l find the wild foods to be smaller. For instance, wild strawberries are a bit larger than a pea. They are yummy but it takes about 20 of them to equal a farmed strawberry. Field greens can be found it ample supply but you don't find them like heads of lettuce. They also tend to be more bitter but a mix of those and berries to a balance can often be a delight.

Mushrooms are often in ample supply but know your mushrooms. There's many good books on these. The SOS guide is pretty good on mushrooms but there's field guide dedicated to them.
I can't say I follow any forum for this but I'm sure they are out there.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 18 May 2016 15:48

Thank you all so much! Great info.

Don_P
# Posted: 19 May 2016 22:26

A couple of links that might be worth a bookmark.
Plant keys;
https://cals.ncsu.edu/plantbiology/ncsc/keysetc.htm

Dendrology fact sheets
http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/factsheets.cfm

Just
# Posted: 20 May 2016 09:12

This week in Ontario . I picked 10 lb Wed. on a kayak trip down the Saugeen river . FIDDLE HEADS !! great eating
fiddle heads
fiddle heads

neb
# Posted: 21 May 2016 23:37 - Edited by: neb

Great stuff!

Just>>>fiddle heads I have heard of people harvesting them and have said they are very good to eat. I have no idea what they are or where they are found. I will research them. Thanks

bldginsp
# Posted: 21 May 2016 23:58 - Edited by: bldginsp

People say I don't know s**t from Shinola, but horse or cow manure will work well to polish your boots in a pinch, when Gen'ral Lee shows up unexpected.

People say snake oil is nonsense but I've found it a fine lubricant for whatever's stuck, including my knees when the rheumatiz hits.

Can't see no sense to buying expensive toilet paper when there's plenty corn husk in the crib.

And no sense in wasting anything, don't knock chickens feet soup til ya tried it.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Just don't bite the claws.

Just
# Posted: 22 May 2016 11:00

Quoting: neb
no idea

They are the sprouts of a fern that grow in the shaded woodlands of the north . within days the are 24 in. long and not edible , so the harvest season is short . 20 $ a LB. in the city, free to thoughts willing to tramp the bush .

neb
# Posted: 22 May 2016 13:24

bldginsp >>> just wondering you have experience with some of those handy tips? Lol

Just >>> interesting I have heard of them but I don't believe I live in the area where they grow. Thanks

Don_P
# Posted: 22 May 2016 14:02

I'm remembering something... check which ferns you can collect fiddleheads from, I think that was it.

A couple more links from this week, it looks like several folks locally will work with black cohosh and ginseng, we also grow bloodroot and trillium well;
http://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2015/10/19/saving-sang-new-label-aims-to -conserve-wild-ginseng

http://www.unitedplantsavers.org/plant-conservation-resources/journal-of-medicinal-pl ant-conservation

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.