Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Harvested some fruit from the land
neb
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 11:34

I went to pick some gooseberry this morning bright and early. I love to pick the wild fruit from the land there is just something about it. It was a foggy morning but was so beautiful and peaceful. These berry are very good and taste like blue berry. The June berry I can't get to now because I need to cross the creek and they are on a steep bank. If the birds don't get them all I might get a few in a week or so. Choke cherry are loaded and will pick some of them also. Anyone else harvest wild berry's?

bldginsp
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 14:00

We used to pick wild huckleberries in North Idaho when I was a kid. Smaller than blueberries and a distinct flavor. I wanted to try growing some but from what I've read they still haven't domesticated the huckleberry.

Thimbleberries grow around my place but not in enough numbers that you can pick a bowl full. Just an occasional lucky snack.

Yours look tasty

Just
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 18:43

mull berry's , black berry's , sumac season, is here in Ontario ..
mull berry
mull berry
mull berry tree
mull berry tree
black berry
black berry
sumac buds
sumac buds

neb
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 18:56

Just>>>> you must have juneberry/servesberry where you live. You have a nice variety of berry's. I don't have any black berry on my land but I do believe we have something similar in areas here.

Just
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 19:19

No juneberry , elderberry here next . my goose berry's are dark pink when ripe your look good ,

neb
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 21:25 - Edited by: neb

I was trying to upload some pictures of the color changes of the fruit but having some problems. Any way they go from green/yellow to rose/ dark purple. I have seen them stay a yellow color when they are mature also.

Just
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 22:03

looks like the same leaves as ours have , do yours have thorns?? , ouch ouch ouch !!!

neb
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 22:28

No not really and easy to pick. I have to cut away some sage brush that is growing up right around some of these wild bushes. I think I will put up some sheep fence around a few plants this fall. I can't believe the birds haven't got them yet. Next weekend I will go pick all I can and freeze them. Those darn things are good and tartness what so ever.

You have any wild plums Just? I have one tree but is an old tree and I think I will plant a few along the creek next spring.

Just
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 22:31

yes we have wild purple ones they are egg shaped .

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 08:06

We're starting to pick wineberries here in VA... Yum. I hope next week will be the peak.

neb
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 08:22

Post a few pictures of those berries.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 18:14

Neb, I was going take a few pics... but every time I got a handful... down the hatch they went. Sorry.

neb
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 21:35

Lol! Yep I know what you mean brother.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.