Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Okay! Whats a good temporary propane heater?
<< . 1 . 2 .
Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 11 Jan 2017 05:06 - Edited by: Julie2Oregon

OutdoorFanatic
The "Big Buddy" is small. For less $, you can get the one I mentioned/am using, you don't need to buy an extra hose and regulator, etc. It's metal, on casters so you can wheel it where you want it, and it's set up for 20 lb. tanks.

Just think it's better suited for what you need and better quality than the Buddy.
Dyna Glo, RA18LPDG, 18,000 BTU Cabinet heater. Tried to post the link to it at Anazon but since I bought it there, my personal account info cane up, grrr.

paulz
# Posted: 11 Jan 2017 08:42

Julie, I saw the heater in your link and agree, so much so I ordered one on your account.

Seriously, I've also been considering another heater. I have the standard Buddy and love it for it's portability, take it to the loo. Putting a 20lb. tank on would restrict that (though I can see it for temporary construction project use etc.).

Even with CO detectors and built in safety features I'm still not sure I'd sleep well with a ventless going though. Just my own paranoia (another one) to overcome.

cspot
# Posted: 11 Jan 2017 18:14

Paulz,

I kinda agree, but no heater is completely safe either. For a permanent residence I would definitely use a vented heater. I only use the little buddy at our hunting camp in the camper. I have 2 CO detectors plus I have 2 windows partially open to provide ventilation. It is horribly inefficient this way and so is a camper when trying to heat, but it is safer. Here is the information from the manual that came with the heater.

This heater requires a vent area of 18 square inches
(example 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" opening) minimum for adequate
ventilation during operation. Do not use other fuel
burning appliances inside.

This heater is safe for indoor use in small recreational
enclosures, having means for providing combustion air
and ventilation, such as enclosed porches, cabins, fishing
huts, trailers, tent trailers, tents, truck caps and vans.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 11 Jan 2017 20:46

paulz
LOL, Paulz. Good thing I checked the image after I posted it. Yeah, I have a portable, Buddy, too, and it's good extra heat in the bathroom for showers.

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 14 Jan 2017 17:54 - Edited by: OutdoorFanatic

Thanks Julie, I'll google that and check it out.
Took my little tank top heater down there today and it didn't really phase it. (the cold)
https://youtu.be/AtZKBICMI-I
Think I need to get some insulation in before anything will work.
P.S. Can I get your amazon account info? I missed it.

Gary O
# Posted: 15 Jan 2017 00:38

Mr Heater Buddy series

I highly touted them at one time.

At one time…

Two of the three we’ve had, quit on me.

One prepares for winter best they can.
If not…yer fault.
Thing is, preparation, as valuable as it is, only goes as far as yer equipment holds up.
Worst thing so far has been a frozen pump.
Due to little buddy failure.

We have the three panel unit.
Five or more years now.
The best.
Not made anymore.

We also have the new, two panel, unit.
Quit on me once.
It’s in the pump house now.
I check on it, morning and twice nightly.
Turns out, it’s much much easier to keep a pump from freezing than to thaw one out.

Gonna check out those Dyna-Glo units J2O is so high on.

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 15 Jan 2017 15:14

Quoting: Gary O
Mr Heater Buddy series

I highly touted them at one time.

At one time…

Yep, I think I'll just wait it out this year. Going to put in a vented propane heater before next winter hits and the cabin should be all insulated by then.

Caught me by surprise how hard it is to warm up an empty shell in the middle of winter. I had that tank top heater going full blast for hours and it didn't even phase it.
And once the sun started going down it was like standing in front of a candle.

paulz
# Posted: 15 Jan 2017 17:53

When I was in a similar situation and asked about it, someone here mentioned stapling plastic sheeting up for temporary heat retention. I never tried it...

donbell
# Posted: 27 Jan 2017 04:12

You may need to know these steps: Identify the correct flow rate (gpm), ground water temp and get the right unit installed for your cabin.Rheem propane tankless heaters would be fine on your budget I think.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.